Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


New Bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Which bike should I look at getting?
Yamaha SR125
35%
 35%  [ 5 ]
Supermoto
42%
 42%  [ 6 ]
Sport Bike
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 14

Author Message

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:12 - 12 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSTEEL32 wrote:
He'll be 19 years old by the time he's read all that .......


He's already said "fuck it, I'll get a car" by the end of the first paragraph.
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition, 28 of 200
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:04 - 12 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:


Oh-Kay, back to top...


Shocked

Oh, a nasty trick! Tef, you are an evil, evil man!
____________________
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 06/05/15) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

binge
Emo Kiddy



Joined: 03 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:21 - 12 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I passed my test on a Yamaha SR125.
Strangely, an awesome bike to ride, as shit as it looked.

Mega comfy, not terribly slow either I didn't think (60/65mph? ish)


Out of all my 125s in my younger years, the bests one I ever owned, was my Honda XL125S

It's before the days of camera phones, so I dont have a picture to show you. Laughing
But it was the same as this:

http://classic-motorbikes.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/12576.jpg



Tank range was great.
It was comfortable, fast enough to be safe on A roads, robust. And it was great for a spot of green laning too!
____________________
- Honda XL125S - CBR400 NC29 - VFR400 NC30 - CBR400 NC29 - TL1000R - TeeZeR Pit! - Bandit 12 - YZF450 - LuckyMX125 Pit! - Demon X XLR 140 Pit!
- Stomp KZ 160 Pit! - Demon X D-link 140 Pit! - CRF50F Mini-Pit - MonsterMoto 155cc MiniSM - Honda Chaly 150cc - Yamaha 98' R1
- Honda Chaly 140cc - Thumpstar 190cc 4v MiniSM - Aprilia RS125 Pit-Bike -
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

terrytibbs
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 01 Jun 2017
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:45 - 12 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Teflon-Mike"]

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/tldr1.gif

/quote]

Has anyone actually met Teflon in real life, does he actually talk like this - you know dressing up quite simple, maybe even obvious points, in reams of verbal diarrhea

Genuinely interested
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:12 - 12 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: New Bike Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Enjoy the 3,000 word screed from Teflon-Mike saying much the same thing, with MORE SHOUTINGE.

Only 2833 words, my bad. Embarassed
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MattRides
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 11 Aug 2017
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:52 - 12 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

biker7 wrote:
You were obviously attracted to the cruiser - maybe you fancy Harleys; there's no problem going down that route. Custom and sports bike riders don't often understand each other. I've owned all types of bikes including HD's, adventure and sports models. What you fancy is what you should get. Cruisers are nice and low, making slow manoeuvres a doddle. If you pass through the phase, you can always explore different genres, later. Cruisers tend to have more torque than top end - not so fast but pull off fairly quick. Check out the Keeway, looks awesome. The Sinnis Heist is a hoot. Yam for reliability. Some older Suzuki Marauders are cool. Still what do I know, I'm a sports bike freak who doesn't sneer at cruisers or supermoto for that matter! All bikes are great but go with your instinct is my advice.

PS. Spokes are a pain to clean!


If I am honest I really like both sports bikes and cruisers. I don't have a preference to either as people I know own both cruisers and sport bikes. The cruiser caught my attention as it was the first 125cc bike I ever rode and I found it very comfortable as it was quite upright.
____________________
Matt
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kentol750
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 24 May 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:30 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sr 125 isn't a cruiser. Ergonomics are normal. No pegs under your hands like cruisers. It's a bike like all others of it's era. Gn125 was a gs125 'looking' like a cruiser. Harley lookalikes handle similarly and an Sr125 doesn't.
____________________
Some bikes.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Johnnythefox
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 01 Dec 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:43 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My xv750 virago has 'normal ergonomics' no forward controls, so it's great to find out that I don't ride a cruiser, this has made my day, gosh I can cancel the chaps order, phew.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kentol750
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 24 May 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:29 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's only because everything/group must have a label. It's not just a bike, 'it's a naked, sports, custom,sports tourer, cruiser, adventure, dual sport or sports tourer.' So, being ghey about it, cruisers have very foot forward riding position.
____________________
Some bikes.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MattRides
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 11 Aug 2017
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:46 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a look at insurance on a 2012 plate YBR125 custom and the insurance including carrying a pillion passenger would be about 650 with 3000miles a year. The bike is worth about 1300 and gear I already own along with a license. Just have to pay the 115 for a cbt and 120 for my full A1 test.

Thanks for all the help guys
Matt
____________________
Matt
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kentol750
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 24 May 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:11 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take pillion off, you can't ride on a CBT with one. Are you desperately needing to carry one? If not, leave doing the theory and test for as long as you can. Far better to pass a1 clean and use theory cover for your a2 as soon as you turn 19. (Unless you plan to pass a1 mods 1 and 2 on your 17th birthday.)
____________________
Some bikes.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MattRides
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 11 Aug 2017
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:18 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Take pillion off, you can't ride on a CBT with one. Are you desperately needing to carry one? If not, leave doing the theory and test for as long as you can. Far better to pass a1 clean and use theory cover for your a2 as soon as you turn 19. (Unless you plan to pass a1 mods 1 and 2 on your 17th birthday.)


I was going to do my full A1 test on my 17th birthday as I am going to do my CBT in a week or so. Doing the full test will stop the whole re doing a cbt every 2 years and will also give many perks. I read through all of what Teflon Mike had to say and found it extremely helpful, despite everyone taking the piss Laughing.
____________________
Matt
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kentol750
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 24 May 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:30 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

At your age, you have, (ha) I like this...an anti Teflon coating. Get theory test done. Pass mod 1 and 2 as close to birthday as you can and you kill the motorbike theory test stone dead. 2 years after pass do a2. 2 years later, full licence is in your grasp. I'm actually training someone next week whose doing the same.
____________________
Some bikes.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MattRides
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 11 Aug 2017
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:32 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comparing insurance on a Honda CBR125R to a Yamaha YBR125 custom there is no deciding to be done. The insurance speaks for itself.
A 2014 CBR is 1500 on insurance whereas the YBR is under 700. I like the idea of a YBR custom with not huge amount of chrome especially as it is in a more upright position just while I am gett used to riding. As for speed I have looked around and found that a YBR custom can still do about 70-80mph going slightly downhill with a strong rear wind. Flat out on a straight road with no slope it can reach best part of 60-65 even 70mph. This is perfectly sufficient for my purposes as I will be using the bike to get to and from school, work and general commuting. Someone suggested earlier a Honda MSX 125 and the insurance is still quite high but the main killer is the price of the bikes themselves (2500-3500).
____________________
Matt
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MattRides
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 11 Aug 2017
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:39 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
At your age, you have, (ha) I like this...an anti Teflon coating. Get theory test done. Pass mod 1 and 2 as close to birthday as you can and you kill the motorbike theory test stone dead. 2 years after pass do a2. 2 years later, full licence is in your grasp. I'm actually training someone next week whose doing the same.


This was literally the exact course of action I was planning to take. CBT now. A1 at 17. A2 at 19, then A at 21.
Also for A2 I might get a larger bike and restrict it, that way I can still use it when I turn 21 and I won't have to spend a load of cash once again buying a full power bike. Also means I won't have to try and sell the bike I use from 19-21.
____________________
Matt
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kentol750
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 24 May 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:09 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good plan. I think Rogerborg has a few fazer 600s sitting in his garage precisely for people like you to buy!
____________________
Some bikes.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MattRides
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 11 Aug 2017
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:00 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys

Would it be worth getting a YBR custom that needs some small amount of work, getting it early then I can work on it while I wait for my 17th birthday. I wouldn't need to insure it as it would go in the garage and come under the house insurance that my parents pay. I just wondered as there are so many of them that need small amounts of work like changing over seats, replacing indicators etc. I have enough mechanical knowledge accessible between me and my dad to rebuild a bike if needs be as he used to work on old cars and some newer ones. Don't want to be doing that unless completely necessary though. Just a thought.

Thanks Matt
____________________
Matt
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MattRides
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 11 Aug 2017
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:04 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
YBR Custom is a pretty good shout, actually. Pay careful attention to the condition of the exhaust though - they run expensive.

Unfortunate thing is I haven't owned a bike and neither has anyone in my family so the problem I have is that I don't know what to look out for and stay away from when looking at bikes and possibly purchasing them. Have you got any pointers or things I should look out for in particular that I don't want or might cause issues?
____________________
Matt
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MattRides
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 11 Aug 2017
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:35 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Any 125 is infinatly better than no 125 especially at your age.

Points to consider are budget, budget, and what your going to realistically use it for?
If it's an all weather daily commuter, a good 125 scooter is at least as good as any other bike.

Im going to give you the benefit of the doubt here, and say you're going to get hooked on bikes in.a massively dependant way (most don't), and your going to save up a decent budget and buy all the proper gear and shit, and that you'll want to prove your a proper and decent rider by passing an A1 test too.

If so and will be on the chosen bike for 2years, you'll want a decent one, and one that you will look after and be happy with.

I'd happily commute on anything that runs, a scooter would be fine for me, but I'd quite like a pose tool and something a bit pornographic too, (if I had a good chance of keeping it safe&secure). That's the biggest IF in biking though as you might well find out yourself.

Anyway seeing as we're all about great advice and considered suggestions, here's what I'm currently spunking silly over in 125 terms. Its a very girly bike as you can see, but don't let that put you off, as it's extremely learner legal too! Wink

https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fscontent-sea1-1.cdninstagram.com%2Ft51.2885-15%2Fe35%2F12976522_1564697193827898_1634744369_n.jpg%3Fig_cache_key%3DMTI0MDU5OTk2ODQ0NjA2MTIyOQ%253D%253D.2&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pictaram.com%2Fmedia%2F1240599968446061229_2904851445&docid=0SDtvKy5dOzlyM&tbnid=g4soZ2UrF5_YWM%3A&vet=10ahUKEwjTp6CGhtDVAhWLbFAKHSZtAJsQMwg2KAAwAA..i&w=631&h=631&bih=512&biw=360&q=tm%20smr%20125%202016&ved=0ahUKEwjTp6CGhtDVAhWLbFAKHSZtAJsQMwg2KAAwAA&iact=mrc&uact=8[img]


Thanks I am going to look into it as I am definitely going to get all the proper gear (most of which I already own) and I am going to pass the A1 test as well. Currently I am looking at a YBR Custom as it has the cruiser look and feel without the huge amount of chrome to rust. They also are pretty quick. But I am still trying to work out whether I want a supermoto or a cruiser. I would get a lot of fun on a supermoto as I could do a small bit of green laning but on the other hand the cruiser would be something more comfortable and road and motorway "acceptable". Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks Matt
____________________
Matt
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:44 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't be covered under your parents home insurance.

As it's still more than six months until you're 17, getting a YBR now that needs a small amount of working doing to it doesn't sound like the best plan as there's lot of time the bike will be sitting there with you wanting to try riding it.

There's no need to rush into buying anything. Thumbs Up
____________________
Trucks are made from tape these days
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:34 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
there's lot of time the bike will be sitting there with you wanting to try riding it.

I'll just creep it to the end of the drive.

Just to the end of the road and back.

Just round the block.

Just to the shop.

Just to the girlfriend's house.

Just to the... Police

Dinnae dae it.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MattRides
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 11 Aug 2017
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:06 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Ste wrote:
there's lot of time the bike will be sitting there with you wanting to try riding it.

I'll just creep it to the end of the drive.

Just to the end of the road and back.

Just round the block.

Just to the shop.

Just to the girlfriend's house.

Just to the... Police

Dinnae dae it.


Spoke to the insurance company about one as my dad was going to get an old BSA Bantam D1 or C15 and leave it in the garage until I get my license. You make a fair point and I probably would want to take it out but if that situation happens I have friends who can let me ride it on private land. It wouldn't be ridden on roads until Im old enough no negotiation about that one. It just isn't worth the shit if I get caught. But I will still be on the lookout for anything "exotic" that comes up. I will still hold off though as long as possible.

Thanks Matt
____________________
Matt
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MattRides
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 11 Aug 2017
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:08 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
It won't be covered under your parents home insurance.

As it's still more than six months until you're 17, getting a YBR now that needs a small amount of working doing to it doesn't sound like the best plan as there's lot of time the bike will be sitting there with you wanting to try riding it.

There's no need to rush into buying anything. Thumbs Up


Just scroll down a bit and you will see I explained about the insurance and wanting to ride it to Rogerborg. Just covering the same stuff otherwise Smile.
____________________
Matt
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr



Joined: 01 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:49 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do know that there's many 'types' of insurance, don't you?

Household 'contents' insurance usually excludes motor-vehicles, for theft, accidental damage or loss.

Motor insurance...comes in three basic flavors;

Third-Party-Only.. what the Yanks more descriptively call 'Damage Waiver Cover".. his is the ONLY legally required insurance on a motor-vehicle, and basically, it indemnifies every one who's not the insurance company (The 'first party' to the insurance contract) not 'you' (the 'second party' to the insurance contract), only 'any-one else' who suffers loss due to your use of the vehicle, like bu riding into them.... (they are the 'third-party to the insurance contract)

Changes to the Vehicle Registration/taxtion system n last couple of decades now mean that if a vehicle is registered to you as the 'keeper' you are liable to ensure that said vehicle is covered by mandatory 3rd party motor insurance, and is taxed o subject to 'SORN' or statutory off-road notification...

Other common motor-insurance coves are;

Third-Party-Fire & Theft...... basic TPO cover as above as made mandatory by the Road-Trafic-Act, but 'plus' cover against the vehicle catching fire or being stolen, in which case you may clam some cash from the ins-co to cover loss....

For a teen-rider, subject to pretty punitive policy prices to start with, and likely equally punatve 'Policy Excess' pr XS charges, which is an amount, you have to pay towards any claim; so say you buy bike for 1500, and you have a 250 'compulsary' theft excess and a 'voluntary' 250 theft excess, your bike gets nicked, the ins co haggle how much it was really worth, and suggest it was only really worth 1250.. the they deduct the mandatory excess, then they deduct the voluntary excess, then offer you the difference.. so 750.... WHICH when you have found the extra to buy another bike, they will probably want back in a hiked premium for the policy you'll need for the replacement... if not in the first years increased premium, certainly within the ext three or four!

BTW.. if you take a settlement on a policy that policy is 'ended'... you don't get 750 plus 'unused' months of cover you just get the 750 and you policy ends, you need a new one if you get a new bike...

Take note; Fire & Theft cover is often not really worth anything, and if you make a clam, you are likely to ed up paying them more in future hikes policy prices than they pay you for the 'loss'.. as a youngster, it really s stacked against you, and it is often not 'worth' you making a claim even if you have cover....

Fully-Comprehensive.. Usually TPO + F&T + 'accidental damage'.. basally, you pay a enormous policy price and if you crash the bike, ins-co pay to fix damage you do or compensate you for loss you have cased yourself.... after deducting policy excesses of course, and with same if not bigger caveat to above, vis paying them more than they ever pay you hikes premiums thereafter.... Fully-Comp policy prics can ofte be higher than the cost of replacing the bike yourself, as a way of telling you basically "effoff - we don't want the risk, but if your daft enough to pay us we'll take t!" Used to be a requrement of many Hire-Purchase schemes that the bike was covered by FC insurance so even if the 'keeper' stuffed it, the credit co got thier money.. or most of it!

BUT point s, you buy motor-bike and stash it in the shed.. NO it probably ISN'T covered by mummy & daddy's home & contents insurance for theft or accidental damage, and that policy will not be fulfilling the Road-Traffc-Act requirement of holding TPO motor-insurance on the vehicle to avoid having to SORN it.
____________________
My Webby'Tef's-tQ, loads of stuff about my bikes, my Land-Rovers, and the stuff I do with them!
Current Bikes:'Honda VF1000F' ;'CB750F2N' ;'CB125TD ( 6 3 of em!)'; 'Montesa Cota 248'. Learner FAQ's:= 'U want to Ride a Motorbike! Where Do U start?'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MattRides
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 11 Aug 2017
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:28 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
You do know that there's many 'types' of insurance, don't you?

Household 'contents' insurance usually excludes motor-vehicles, for theft, accidental damage or loss.

Motor insurance...comes in three basic flavors;

Third-Party-Only.. what the Yanks more descriptively call 'Damage Waiver Cover".. his is the ONLY legally required insurance on a motor-vehicle, and basically, it indemnifies every one who's not the insurance company (The 'first party' to the insurance contract) not 'you' (the 'second party' to the insurance contract), only 'any-one else' who suffers loss due to your use of the vehicle, like bu riding into them.... (they are the 'third-party to the insurance contract)

Changes to the Vehicle Registration/taxtion system n last couple of decades now mean that if a vehicle is registered to you as the 'keeper' you are liable to ensure that said vehicle is covered by mandatory 3rd party motor insurance, and is taxed o subject to 'SORN' or statutory off-road notification...

Other common motor-insurance coves are;

Third-Party-Fire & Theft...... basic TPO cover as above as made mandatory by the Road-Trafic-Act, but 'plus' cover against the vehicle catching fire or being stolen, in which case you may clam some cash from the ins-co to cover loss....

For a teen-rider, subject to pretty punitive policy prices to start with, and likely equally punatve 'Policy Excess' pr XS charges, which is an amount, you have to pay towards any claim; so say you buy bike for 1500, and you have a 250 'compulsary' theft excess and a 'voluntary' 250 theft excess, your bike gets nicked, the ins co haggle how much it was really worth, and suggest it was only really worth 1250.. the they deduct the mandatory excess, then they deduct the voluntary excess, then offer you the difference.. so 750.... WHICH when you have found the extra to buy another bike, they will probably want back in a hiked premium for the policy you'll need for the replacement... if not in the first years increased premium, certainly within the ext three or four!

BTW.. if you take a settlement on a policy that policy is 'ended'... you don't get 750 plus 'unused' months of cover you just get the 750 and you policy ends, you need a new one if you get a new bike...

Take note; Fire & Theft cover is often not really worth anything, and if you make a clam, you are likely to ed up paying them more in future hikes policy prices than they pay you for the 'loss'.. as a youngster, it really s stacked against you, and it is often not 'worth' you making a claim even if you have cover....

Fully-Comprehensive.. Usually TPO + F&T + 'accidental damage'.. basally, you pay a enormous policy price and if you crash the bike, ins-co pay to fix damage you do or compensate you for loss you have cased yourself.... after deducting policy excesses of course, and with same if not bigger caveat to above, vis paying them more than they ever pay you hikes premiums thereafter.... Fully-Comp policy prics can ofte be higher than the cost of replacing the bike yourself, as a way of telling you basically "effoff - we don't want the risk, but if your daft enough to pay us we'll take t!" Used to be a requrement of many Hire-Purchase schemes that the bike was covered by FC insurance so even if the 'keeper' stuffed it, the credit co got thier money.. or most of it!

BUT point s, you buy motor-bike and stash it in the shed.. NO it probably ISN'T covered by mummy & daddy's home & contents insurance for theft or accidental damage, and that policy will not be fulfilling the Road-Traffc-Act requirement of holding TPO motor-insurance on the vehicle to avoid having to SORN it.


I knew a lot about the insurance to begin with as I shopped around to roughly see the prices of a 17yr old on a 125. All the policies I looked at were 3rd party fire and theft as there is no way I am gonna pay 2000-3000 for fully comp. 3rd party is just the bare minimum and everyone I spoke to said go with 3rd party fire and theft. Which isnt a huge amount more than just 3rd party.
____________________
Matt
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: discovery (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 2.36 - MySQL Queries: 19 - CDN Objects: 53 - Page Size: 152.98 Kb