Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Advice wanted please

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Dellabella
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:04 - 12 Aug 2017    Post subject: Advice wanted please Reply with quote

Hi, have just joined this forum and am already looking for advice!!

I was meant to pick up my brand new 125 today but had a call from the shop to say when they were doing the checks, the left indicator was coming on with the ignition key in the bike but not coming off and the only way it would stop is if the right indicator was turned on... The mechanic from the shop is on holiday and the owner hasn't got a clue? Does it sound like it needs a new switch?

Thankyou

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:09 - 12 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Press indicator rocker button in to cancel indicator.

Dellabella
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:21 - 12 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a switch style indicator similar to a Harley so it doesn't have a centre to it if this makes sense.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:21 - 12 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you wonder why dealers get slated. One mechanic?

Don't worry about it from your point of view. Until you accept the bike it's his problem.

I know you want the bike but I would suggest that when you actually do pick it up. take someone with you to help check everything is working OK..

Dellabella
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:29 - 12 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was supposed to pick it up today and was told the news last night that I wasn't ready and that his mechanic isn't back until end of August.... he has ordered in a new switch and its due in the shop on Tuesday but after reading other posts on different forums about indicators am not sure it is the switch could it be something else and if so, that's another few days to wait for a new part to come in etc.... the leaves will be falling off the trees soon and am bike less and also very impatient!! Sad

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:34 - 12 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bike is it and how much are you meant to be paying?

Dellabella
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:39 - 12 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bike is £2000 and I've paid half as a deposit.
The bike is a Keeway Superlight

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:43 - 12 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get your deposit back then go and buy something that doesn't have electrical gremlins. Thumbs Up
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Dellabella
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:41 - 12 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am happy with my choice of bike just not the dealership.

What is OP? Old age pensioner??? Very Happy

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:47 - 12 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So get your money back and go to a different dealership?

Dellabella
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:50 - 12 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou for your replies Very Happy

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:49 - 12 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dellabella wrote:
Thankyou for your replies Very Happy

Did you actually read any of them?

Dellabella
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:51 - 12 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read all of the replies, thankyou Very Happy

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 02:12 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dellabella wrote:
I am happy with my choice of bike just not the dealership.

No you aren't.. you haven't even taken delivery yet and the ruddy thing's already 'broke'.... As other's have said, cash-out & go buy something that doesn't need fixing... even before its turned a ruddy wheel from brand new!

Keeway is a generic chinky bike; they are notorious for poor quality control, low reliability and high maintenance, intended for developing asian markets with low labour costs where they can afford to put in the time they didn't in the factory.

THIS little indicator issue is an indication of likely things to come... yours has 'broke' before you have even ridden it from the ruddy shop! It is likely it will keep breaking, and you will spend as much time at the dealers as on the bike, until the warranty runs out, and then it will be down to you, and whether you will pay what you didn't to get a YBR in ongoing repairs to not have a YBR or the performance of a YBR or the general lack of hassle of a YBR, or resale value of a YBR.

The 'indicators' are all there... CASH OUT! Get your money back, and buy a 2nd hand BR that doesn't need fixing before you even get out the shop! Better still, stick a few hundred extra towards a new one that shouldn't need fixing for a fair long while and has a warranty that you may have some extra faith in....

Dellabella wrote:
What is OP? Old age pensioner??? Very Happy

No that would be OAP.. OP is you, 'Original-Poster'... or perhaps in your case 'Oblivious-Punter'
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dellabella
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:48 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your very long post, read it and re read it and have noted some of the points.... Just a quick question though.... have you ever owned a Chinese bike as this will be my second Chinese import, the first was a Builit which was Chinese parts but assembled in Belgium, had it for a year, never broke down, no problems what so ever and a real head turner only sold it as wanted a cruiser style hence why I've gone for the Keeway Superlight, have watched you tube reviews, have spoken to owners of this bike and apart from a few teething problems they were mostly very pleased with the performance of it, also read a good report from MCN on them too.

I have never used a forum before so I didn't know what OP meant, I wasn't being funny, I genuinely didn't know what it meant.

I am wondering if I would of been talking about a Suzuki or Yamaha, I would of got more helpful advice. Sad

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:19 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote, "Very long post"! You're blatantly new to this forum.
As said above, walk away. Yes, we'd all say the same regardless of make.
1 mechanic, on holiday for the busiest biking month? Hardly inspires confidence if you need them between December and February....when it's 'not biking weather'.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:20 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, you're not far from some of the biggest dealerships in the country.

Dellabella
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:30 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday was the first time I used this Forum or any forum, a friend suggested it to me, she told me that it is full of helpful bikers so as I had had a day from hell regarding picking up the bike I thought I would try it out!

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:01 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Advice wanted please Reply with quote

Dellabella wrote:
Does it sound like it needs a new switch?

Yes it does. There's your question answered.

But I've been wrong before. It might not be a faulty brand new switch.

The other advice, which you don't seem to like, is the really helpful advice. Buying a faulty new bike and/or giving a shit about if and when it's fixed is stupid. Don't do it.

Buy something else.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:44 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have we helped?

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:09 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone is right, except you OP IMO. Get out, grab cash and run long, run hard, and never look back!

A keyway might well be an amazing 125, brilliantly speced and awesome value for money too. But not from that dealer it isn't. Your buying into the dealer as much as the bike with a brand spanker, so you must feel full of confidence and satisfaction or else your on a looser before you start.

Oh and I don't know if your a sensible purchase savvy women or a dizzy little girl? But whichever it is, you don't want to do anything with impatience when it comes to bikes. You'll learn that in time.

Big deal you might loose a few weeks of mixed August weather, more than likely all you'll miss is torrential rain and unsettled winds and thunderstorms though, so be patient. I've lost two years riding pretty much between having bike problems and waiting for parts to modify it with. Next year I'll make up for it though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:20 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big difference between Fowlers (the big dealer by you) and the shitty little place you are being rolled over by is Flowers will absorb the cost of the bike dying (like they did with the strumpet and the stator plate craping itself).

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:36 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to pile on, but the gestalt is correct. You're being given fair warning about the amount of support you can expect from that dealer. This is before they have all your money, remember.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but count it as a lucky escape.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 10:39 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dellabella wrote:
have you ever owned a Chinese bike

Yes.. amongst many of many national origins in the forty years have been riding and fixing the ruddy things....

In consequence I see an awful LOT more than I would ever own, usually wheeled into my yard by over-optimistic youngsters, hoping I can perform a miracle for them, 'cos the paid mechanic at the top of the road had the audacity to suggest he'd have a 'look'.. but charges £30 an hour, so that look would cost them as much as a new battery before he begins totting up parts and labour for whatever may be 'wrong' with it..... and he's the 'helpful' one who actually WILL look at Chinky bikes....

Next door but one neighbour's lad is latest in a very long line... "But'z owNlee two years owld! Downt iven need MOT yet..."
To which he did NOT like the comment "Just as well, 'because it wouldn't pass one!"

Incidentally, I started my professional career as an engineer working for a company that made light and other switches for cars..... SERIOUSLY I have seen better made Christmas cracker toys than the low grade switch-gear clamped on the handlebars of most chinky-bikes to pass under my gaze!

I am pleased you had a more pleasant experience with your last one; it IS possible,,,, if your expectations are low enough...... My other-half had a reasonably easy time with her Chinky Cruiserette... though it was through the grumbles she had with that, and being fobbed off by err.. oh yeah... dealers... that she unfortunately met me! Thing was 'cheap'.. it started on the button each and every time for over two years... and that about exhasts its good points...... 55mph top speed was rather dire.. fine around town... 'just' but when she was trying to get cross-country from my house to hers, the risk of an Audichoch enema was rather wince-worthy!

Lights that randomly decided to stop working... that sounds familiar.... she made it home, 20 miles down dark winter country lanes once, thanks to a White-Van-Man taking pitty and playing 'Link-Boy', and crawling along at 25-30mph lighting her way for her, checking she was still following him, until they reached street-lights!

Biggest 'issue' she had with that bike apart from meeting me.... was every time she tried talking to a 'dealer' she got treated as a 'Dumb Woman'... rather than any 'help'.. and even that peculiarly reliable example still gave her plenty of cause to try talk to them!

You haven't even got to ride the thing yet, and that 'problem' has already started.

I say it time and time again... IF you know enough to live with a Chiky bike, you should know enough NOT to buy one in the first place... they are NOT 'cheap', and i the long run, when dire residual value is totted up, they cab prove an expensive way to have more hassle and less performance than buying a YBR... which incidentally IS also built in China..... it is just subject to a Japenese QC regime and comes with a dealer support infrastructure that can be depended upon...

This is NOT Chinky-Bike-Biggotry... it is simple sound advice.... IF you dont wish to heed it that is your prerogative....

Dellabella wrote:
Advice wanted please

THAT was what you asked for... dont start moaning you dont LIKE the advice we have all offered, because it's not what you wanted or hoped for, by way of some-one offering the ctrl-alt-del super-cheat you need to magically rest the dealer and sort your problems without inconvenience, hassle cost or delay....

Dellabella wrote:
after reading other posts on different forums about indicators am not sure it is the switch could it be something else

No.. not really.. what do you 'hope' the 'something else' could be? The circuit comprises of a light bulb, a switch, a battery, and to make it flash a 'flip-flop' relay... there ISN'T very much else it COULD be!

And what are you hoping to do if there might? Take delivery without Pre-Delivery inspection and NO warranty, and try sort it for yourself? From 'advice' off another forum, that 'suggests' there may be something else that could case mystery problem. but doesn't actally say what? Or how to fix?

Dellabella wrote:
the leaves will be falling off the trees soon and am bike less and also very impatient!!

Which is EVEN more reason to heed advice offered by so many, so far... DON'T BUY IT! Go get a YBR!!!!

If you haven't got the know-how, if you have't got the patece to DIY your ow fault finding, if you get 'frustrated' by the dealer suggesting a ten-day delivery delay, REALLY you do NOT have the patience or where-withall to live happily with a generic Chnky bike! I say it time and again; IF you know enough to live with one, you probably know enough NOT to even try!

BUT... what the heck, its your money, your choice... if you don't like the answers we have offered here, go see what you get from the forum that makes you think that there must be some mystical voodoo alternative answer, and that that will solve your problems for you.... Rolling Eyes You know its the same sort of 'consumer choice' as NOT buyig fro a dealer who doesn't give you the answers you preffer!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 228 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2