Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Any rukka fans?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Deadonkey
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:54 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Any rukka fans? Reply with quote

Looking for reviews of super high end jackets. Im a bit sick of getting wet.

Its not that i mind riding in the rain but i dont like getting wet.

What ive found from my waterproof gear is thst its only waterproof for a period of time. Then eventually water gets in.

Is it the same with super premium jackets? Or can you ride for a full day in heavy rain and still be dry.

What have you got? And how wet do you get ?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:58 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak to the high end Rukka gear, but I bagged a low end one used from eBay. It's old enough that I can't find an equivalent current model, and it's a thin, lightweight, non-thermal affair with weird bubbly armour in the elbow and shoulders. It's so much lighter than my old RST Enduro jacket that I was sceptical that it could offer any sort of real weather protection.

However, it's still completely waterproof. No leaks anywhere through a West Coast Scotch winter (and summer, for that matter). Not a seep, not a drip.

I'm sold on Gore-Textm now.

Arfa__
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:54 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar boat to Roger, got an old set off ebay, paid about £170 odd for jacket and trousers. Back armour was shagged, so grabbed a Forcefield replacement for abut £40. Likewise, it's old so no idea what model it was, or what is current equivalent. Jacket keeps me bone dry, and with thermal liner in I ride right through winter (ok, a Southern minor chill), with nowt more than base layer and thin fleece/jumper. Over years, one front popper has ripped off and zip pull broken a bit, lost ring for pull on it, but can still be used to do up zip.

Trousers are pretty waterproof, but you always feel cold'n'damp in a heavy shower. They never soak through, stuff underneath stays dry, but the outer layer does sponge up the water to give you that cold'n'damp feeling. TBF, I don't refresh them with Nikwax often enough. Also the trouser pockets aren't water proof, seem to be over top of Gore-tex layer (jacket has waterproof inside pocket though).

Biggest problem is because the Gore-tex is a mid layer, the outer layer does get sodden and can take a while to dry out. Returning from a ride in heavy rain, you get a huge puddle under where you hang them up and they'll still be damp the following day. Posher Rukka has a bonded waterproof outer layer thing so this isn't an issue.

For what's it's worth I've also crash tested them, binned the bike a few years ago in the wet, back end went smashed bike down, trashed all fairing/lights and slid into verge. I walked away with only a sore thumb, Rukka gear had one broken zip pull on leg and some loose threads on pocket zip! Still wearing same gear daily now...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

RodYork
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:48 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Rukka- but only for work- its good, but terribly expensive.
All in one rainsuits, while not as sexy- certainly do the job

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:54 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently rocking a Lidl special waterproof overjacket. Was £25. Is waterproof.

It's very reminiscant of the thermally bonded seams on the odd, slightly stretchy, shiny silver plastic overjackets rukka used to do

tadge
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:00 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Rukka Reply with quote

Feel the need to comment on Rukka jacket I bought, it was marked up at £500 in sale for £400. Had it a few years now. The front pockets are not goretex and soak through easily despite waterproof sprays etc.. My Rukka was no warmer or waterproof them my old Frank Thomas £80, though I can say after a wash it looks like new and nothing has split or torn to date.

Tadge

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:09 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A chap I ride with occasionally showed me his Rukka jacket the other day - the zip had separated from the jacket, causing it to leak. He said it was the second he'd had that fault on. Didn't get chance to go into more detail about it or have a proper look, unfortunately (we got called away at that point and I forgot later).

drzsta
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:25 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I've had my Rukka gear for about a year now and have the Armaxis jacket and Armaxion trousers. I can't compare to other brands because for years before that I made do with a pair of Tog24 salopettes and an old coat.

Yes its alot of money but I've never been wet/cold before starting a 12 hour shift with this kit. More than likely I could get something cheaper but the rukka has a 6 year guarantee.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could buy 25 Richa Typhoon rain suits for the price of a Rukka set. They'd keep you dry too. If you wore all 25 you might get wet from the inside out though.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:59 - 11 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

It's very reminiscant of the thermally bonded seams on the odd, slightly stretchy, shiny silver plastic overjackets rukka used to do

I had a set of those silver and grey waterproofs, which were given to me when I was a DR (might've been some sort of evaluation thing) which was fortunate, because I could never justify the cost to myself - back then, the very best helmet was £100, a set of Rukkas was maybe £200, perhaps more.

Absolutely the best waterproof gear I've ever had, mainly because it was actually waterproof, plus it didn't make me sweat my cods off, so I didn't get wet from the inside out.

Now, 30 odd years later, I've got quite an expensive A* jacket, which is very comfortable, has modern features like a removable lining and zip panels for airflow, but the damn thing isn't waterproof.

If I were riding pretty much every day, all year round, I would go for Rukka again, no hesitation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RodYork
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:19 - 12 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:
A chap I ride with occasionally showed me his Rukka jacket the other day - the zip had separated from the jacket, causing it to leak. He said it was the second he'd had that fault on. Didn't get chance to go into more detail about it or have a proper look, unfortunately (we got called away at that point and I forgot later).

I have never had an issue with the quality/waterproofing & neither has any of the people I ride with....but you wouldn't expect it to fail at the premium!...they are fantastic...just pricey!

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:36 - 12 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to have a proper chat with him next time I see him, as I'd had my eye on some Rukka kit too (was amused to see in the latest Infinity email shot they have the Nivala jacket in for "only" £1,199.99 - a use of the word "only" that I'm not familiar with). He does ride for his day job, and I'm not sure if that is his daily riding jacket - in which case you'd expect failure eventually through fair wear and tear. It certainly didn’t look new.

I guess really what I'm saying is that these things aren't magic or perfect; it's still just material sewn together, albeit hopefully good quality material with care taken in the assembly. No matter how they are made, waterproof linings and zips are inherently less robust than say leather and traditional brass zips.

With much kit you'll get people singing praises of equipment that they've had for several years without issues - but then you find they've only actually ridden a couple of thousand miles a year in nice-ish weather so it's hardly broken in let alone tested. I'd trust Rukka (or other gore-tex) to keep me dry and comfortable far more than any other fabric, but with my usage I'd be expecting to replace it probably after about 3 years.

jakebrownbass
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 10:51 - 12 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:
I need to have a proper chat with him next time I see him, as I'd had my eye on some Rukka kit too (was amused to see in the latest Infinity email shot they have the Nivala jacket in for "only" £1,199.99 - a use of the word "only" that I'm not familiar with). He does ride for his day job, and I'm not sure if that is his daily riding jacket - in which case you'd expect failure eventually through fair wear and tear. It certainly didn’t look new.

I guess really what I'm saying is that these things aren't magic or perfect; it's still just material sewn together, albeit hopefully good quality material with care taken in the assembly. No matter how they are made, waterproof linings and zips are inherently less robust than say leather and traditional brass zips.

With much kit you'll get people singing praises of equipment that they've had for several years without issues - but then you find they've only actually ridden a couple of thousand miles a year in nice-ish weather so it's hardly broken in let alone tested. I'd trust Rukka (or other gore-tex) to keep me dry and comfortable far more than any other fabric, but with my usage I'd be expecting to replace it probably after about 3 years.

There was a problem with some Rukka & other Goretex jackets when they moved to the gore lockout zip. If you don't look after the rubber rail with silicone lubricant, you can damage the runners & the can split. Could have possibly been that?

I've got a hein gericke Goretex performance shell textile suit and it's been great, never had a drop of water come through and it's warm.

I've then got a pro shell Goretex leather suit by hein gericke which is astonishing. Really comfortable, leather jacket & pants, it can be absolutely torrential for goes on end and I'm dry as you can be. The only down side of it is in the coldest of days in winter. But on those days I do try to avoid riding anyway unless I have to.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:07 - 12 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jakebrownbass wrote:

There was a problem with some Rukka & other Goretex jackets when they moved to the gore lockout zip. If you don't look after the rubber rail with silicone lubricant, you can damage the runners & the can split. Could have possibly been that?

Could well be - it looked to be a rubber zip that had separated.

My best bit of waterproof kit is my BMW (don't judge me) Leatherguard Goretex trousers (membrane bonded to the inside of the trousers, not a drop liner). Absolutely, 100% waterproof (tested for several hours in torrential rain at speed) and don't look too bad either. The leather is treated so it doesn't absorb water. Second hand from eBay cost me about £60 about three years ago.

I'd love a jacket made from the same material, but as far as I can see BMW intended them to be worn with a textile jacket. I'll have to investigate those Hein Gericke ones.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:53 - 12 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking at Rukka textiles, you really should look into the Halverssons safety jacket. I did a bit of research a few years ago and at that time the Halverssons stuff was getting very favourable reviews.
I ended up winning a leather goretex Hein Gericke suit on ebay, which is proving to be excellent. I would love to have a set of the Rukka goretex leathers, but they seem to run at around £2k. Shocked

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:48 - 12 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do invest in an expensive bonded goretex layer jacket - and bonded rather than floating is the only one I'd consider - only wear it if there's a possibility of rain, to extend the life of it.

My goretex pro shell jacket (Held, 150 discounted from 550 or so) is starting to leak now, after 5 years of daily service, including tours of Scotland and Ireland through much rain. It's seen perhaps 45k miles, possibly more - I've ridden more but not always in that jacket. It's still serviceable as a dry weather jacket and is warm, but steady rain will get in in a few places now. The quality of the jacket is wasted on weather that doesn't need it.

Andy S
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:22 - 03 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Rukka jacket is at least 12 years old. No idea what model it is, but it was fairly top of the range when it was new.

It has never ever been treated with anything. Just a wash in the wash machine as per instructions once every couple of years.

It has never, ever let me get wet. It's a stunning jacket. Cool in the summer, warm as toast in the winter and always dry with comfortable armour.

My Rukka trousers are 3 years old and equally amazing (they replaced a 13 year old pair that finally gave up the ghost).

No arguing its expensive kit, but it works VERY VERY well and lasts a long long time.

Work out the cost/year compared to replacing cheap stuff every few years, and its not too bad (and the cheap stuff i have found never to be as breathable/warm.

Also, the 6 year guarantee that comes on them is fantastic. A loan jacket while yours is sorted. And they will sort everything under warranty. On mine one of the poppers black covers came off. Purely a small cosmetic thing, but when wearing it in infinity motorcycles they saw it and said they'd send it away for me and did me a loan jacket.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:48 - 03 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gear is :

Jacket - IXS something something GoreTex
Trousers - Hein Gericke something something GoreTex
Gloves - Richa something something GoreTex
Boots - Alpine Stars SMX something NOT GORETEX

I only ever get wet toes ... what's the common denominator?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:32 - 05 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: Any rukka fans? Reply with quote

Deadonkey wrote:
Looking for reviews of super high end jackets. Im a bit sick of getting wet.

What kind of conditions do you ride in? No jacket can be fully waterproof if you ride in extreme rain for, say, 12 hours non-stop, not even the most uber-expensive GoreTexProUltraSuperUberTek. I remember a few reports on this on advrider. Or you can read the reports of those who ride to the Elefantentreffen - pretty much all gear fails in those conditions.

For more “ordinary” conditions, the key is getting something with a 3-layer laminated waterproof (not a removable waterproof layer) membrane. Google 2-layer vs 3-layer goretex or waterproof to get an idea. Note that 3-layer is the lamination process, it has nothing to do with the layers you can add or remove to a jacket.

YMMV, but in my experience I have never noticed any material differences among GoreTex, GorePro, Schoeller’s c-change, Clover’s, Revit’s and Alpinestar’s waterproof membranes, although, TBH, I have never ridden in very extreme rain for more than an hour. Some swear that Gore is better than other brands' own membranes; again, that's not my experience, but YMMV.

Also, waterproof membranes tend to work best when the weather is cold and dry. The more it gets humid and/or warm, the less well these membranes breathe.

tadge
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:59 - 05 Oct 2017    Post subject: Rukka Reply with quote

Bought a £500 Rukka jacket truth is no warmer or more waterproof than my old Frank Thomas paying for the name methinks.

New top of range Rukka gear are a ridiculous price

Just my opinion

Tadge

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:10 - 05 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: Any rukka fans? Reply with quote

Londoner2015 wrote:
No jacket can be fully waterproof if you ride in extreme rain for, say, 12 hours non-stop, not even the most uber-expensive GoreTexProUltraSuperUberTek.

I've ridden all day in alternately misty, light and occasionally heavy rain in full goretex pro shell and got, at most, somewhat damp.

Quote:
YMMV, but in my experience I have never noticed any material differences among GoreTex, GorePro, Schoeller’s c-change, Clover’s, Revit’s and Alpinestar’s waterproof membranes

The difference is usually less in the membrane than in the quality of the seam taping. Large flat areas are easy to keep waterproof. It's joins, like the shoulders in jackets and the crotch in trousers where quality tells its tale.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:20 - 05 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: Rukka Reply with quote

tadge wrote:
Bought a £500 Rukka jacket truth is no warmer or more waterproof than my old Frank Thomas

How old and well used is your FT? Years, days getting soaked?

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:04 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: Any rukka fans? Reply with quote

barrkel wrote:

The difference is usually less in the membrane than in the quality of the seam taping. Large flat areas are easy to keep waterproof. It's joins, like the shoulders in jackets and the crotch in trousers where quality tells its tale.

It's also in the design details - e.g. how the pocket flaps are angled, how the material folds over on the main zip storm flap (if any) to prevent seepage, that kind of thing. Gore do independent design quality checks on anything bearing their name. That doesn't mean that another fabric can't be designed to the same standard, you just don't have that additional check that they haven't done something silly that compromises the performance.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:51 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pair of Frank Thomas waterproof and breathable (not Gore-Tex) gloves that have lasted me nearly twenty years.
They've lasted that long because I never wear them. They leak in the rain. When the sun comes out they seem to seal up and the insulation makes your hands overheat and sweat. When it's cold and dry the insulation seems to do nothing and your digits are freezing cold.
There must be a certain set of conditions in which they work, but every time I've given them one more chance I've either had sweaty, rain soaked, or frozen hands.
Hate them, still have them on the shelf.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:57 - 06 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm. Thus the question above. <FazerTard> I ride every day, in every weathers </FazerTard> (albeit only half an hour each way) and while my RST Enduro jacket did last for 7 years of that (worn on coldwet days, i.e. half of them), I eventually couldn't recover the full waterproofing.

Still pretty good value for money, actually, but I reckon the well used Rukka replacement is going to challenge it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 194 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2