Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Adhesive glue in my fuel.. carb and engine?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Nousernames2
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:22 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Adhesive glue in my fuel.. carb and engine? Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new here, thanks for reading my post.

Bike - custom Suzuki GN125 (year unknown)
Custom = new rear suspension, handlebars and tyres.

And as you can imagine from the title.. I'm new to bikes and bike maintenance as I used adhesive masking tape to tighten the fuel cap of my fuel tank and as I'm living in Hanoi.. the glue obviously melted, dripped, and run its course through my bike. I also continued to run the bike thinking it would pass though like the dodgy petrol had a few weeks earlier.. Bike choked up and is now not starting. Thumbs Up

What do I do now? I don't have the money right now to even take it to a mechanic which would only cost me all of 12 quid to fix.. So it's down to me and any advice you guys can offer. I'm thinking clean the carb out. Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:54 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just how much did you use? I'm impressed that you managed to use so much that the notoriously rubbish glue on masking tape has gummed everything up

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:06 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, check that there is petrol in the tank.

If you pull the hose off the carburettor, does fuel run out of it when you open the tap? If it's a vacuum tap, turn it to "prime."

If not, then check the filter gauze on the fuel tap. Maybe it's choked with bits of tape.

Nousernames2
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:10 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies.

Good point on the first reply, it was more of a duct tape than a masking tape so a fair bit of gummy globby bits have melted in..

Second reply, thanks for this advice, I will check tomorrow for the filter & hopefully it's clogged up to shit and that's it, so does it filter the fuel before going into the engine from the carb? Or fuel before the carb? I actually had a 10 or 11yr old take apart the carb at a mechanics out here haha, I was led there by several other mechanics as they were the 'pros'! Is the carb easy to clean up or is the kid just pretty good with bikes?

I'll take the tube off, turn the tap, see what happens, if no fuel I check the filter, where can i find the filter? What does it look like?

Thank you.

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:11 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive had good success using acetone to clean out my carbs after a failed/ bodged attempt at sealing a leaky fuel tank

sealer melted an covered everything in gloop

dont put anything rubber or plastic in the acetone though
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

supZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:00 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would imagine if anything it's gummed the jet up.

So find a manual if you can, take the carb off, get to the jet and give that a clean through.. or at least see if it's clear.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 12:17 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would expect the fuel to dissolve the glue, meaning it shouldn't clog things. Depends on the amount and type of glue though.

4 places in your fuel system where it can get plugged up:

1. In-tank fuel filter. This is usually a small mesh filter on top of the fuel tap (petcock). To check/clean it you need to drain the tank, take the tank off the bike, remove the petcock (more fuel may come out) and then examine the filter which came out with the petcock. If it's dirty, try soaking it in acetone. Do not poke things through it, or scrub it hard. They tend to be fragile and brittle.

2. In-line fuel filter. Often fitted on the fuel line between tank and carb. Turn the fuel off at the tap, take out the fuel filter. Turn it upside down over a sheet of paper, see what comes out. Try blowing through it from the other end and see what comes out. If it's really hard to blow through, it's clogged - replace.

3. Needle valve mesh (in carb). Inside most carbs there is a tiny hemispherical mesh filter above the needle valve. This is a very fine mesh - usually finer than the carb jet holes. To get at it you need to remove the carb, remove the float bowl, remove the float and needle valve, and them pull out or unscrew the needle valve seat with filter. Clean, replace, put it all back together.

4. Jets. Small holes, then get clogged. Use carb cleaner or compressed air to blow them through. Do not poke anything down the holes - each hold is a precision metering device made of quite soft metal, poke a bit of wire down them and they will behave differently afterwards. If they are totally clogged and you can't afford new jets, a toothbrush bristle should be soft enough to poke down. Not recommended, but better than using a steel pin.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 247 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1