Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

A question for the mentals of the forum.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 04 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: A question for the mentals of the forum. Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Tracer1234 wrote:
Any advice on the situation? Company to go for? Ways of getting travel insurance but excluding pre-existing mental health and just covering the physical.

I recently went on hols and insured through this outfit:
https://www.leisureguardlitetravelinsurance.com/travel-insurance/single-trip-insurance
They seemed pretty straightforward as regards pre-existing conditions. We had a couple to declare which I talked through with them... one case of depression, which we agreed would not be covered - so, no additional premium for it, but it was very clear that the insured would still be covered for all aspects of healthcare except where directly related to the depression - basically, the fallout of attempting or committing suicide would not be covered, but otherwise all fine. The other one was a potentially life-threatening nut allergy, which I did want covering against - that whacked up the family's premium by about 75%.

Of course I don't know enough about you to know whether you'd be happy not to be covered for your pre-existing condition, or whether that would be even appropriate? But if so, Leisure Guard seems a reasonable bet. Personally I wouldn't even consider travelling to somewhere like Bali completely uninsured though.

As to whether you should travel anyway.... if you don't want to go, can't you just say you'd love to but it's not possible because you can't get travel insurance? Christ, people who travel halfway round the world to get married and expect all their friends and family to stump up and fall in line is a real pet hate of mine!

That said, Bali is a fantastic place to visit though; or was when I went there about 15 years ago. Brilliant (and cheap, once you are there) place for a holiday with the missus if you can escape the outlaws...

Thank you mate, Ill have a look into them.

Yeah, tell me about it, Its something that I really annoyed about. Especially when family and friends that she is very close to, cant come because of it, which she knew before booking, but went ahead anyway.

After a quick chat on the phone at lunch, it seems that out of the 10 days we are there, there will be about 1 and a half days that we have to ourselves to do anything due to things being planned for everyone. Its very much leaning towards me not going.... Convo tonight could be a long one.

F*** me, even typing this shit is boring me, let alone you lot having to read it. Sorry.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:01 - 04 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not go. Dance!

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:19 - 04 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you live with the Mrs and both pay your way with bills, living expenses and rent etc, I really would bale if your set on going back to university.

I don't think there's anything wrong with being a mature student, or having a long term life/career plan to better your lot.

But in any living together relationship, the strain of dropping the wage of one person for education, is often too much and it's unfair, and resentment and hate can very quickly creep in.

It ain't gonna end well, you've got time to get out and re boot your plans and lifestyle to make you happier and more secure in the future.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:51 - 04 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: A question for the mentals of the forum. Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
it was very clear that the insured would still be covered for all aspects of healthcare except where directly related to the depression - basically, the fallout of attempting or committing suicide would not be covered, but otherwise all fine.

Don't most travel insurance policies exclude anything self inflicted?

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:59 - 04 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: A question for the mentals of the forum. Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Don't most travel insurance policies exclude anything self inflicted?

Yeah I suppose they would, that hadn't occurred to me but as I never had any intention of paying for 'depression cover' we never had the conversation!

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:37 - 05 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strikes me as a moot point asking the mentals about insurance, I don't recall ever being sane enough to consider it. Mr. Green

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:41 - 05 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
Strikes me as a moot point asking the mentals about insurance, I don't recall ever being sane enough to consider it. Mr. Green

Laughing

https://s20.postimg.org/brzc41zyl/Screenshot_2017-08-05_at_13.41.04.png

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:35 - 05 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: A question for the mentals of the forum. Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:
Convo tonight could be a long one.

So spill the beans then...! Shocked

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:44 - 05 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The worst mistake you can make is to commit to someone who values their family over you. Family values are very important, but having explained all the insurance woes to your missus, I'd expect her to fight your corner with her sister. If they still think you're selfish then fair enough, but if your missus doesn't understand then what does that say about her and you?

insurance aside, this trip sounds like a recipe for disaster. Heat, booze, unfamiliar and unsettling surroundings, her family already willing you to flip out so they can tell your gf "i told you so".

Just don't go, and if your relationship is strong enough then things should be fine when she gets back.

Lowsider
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:29 - 05 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:

Further than that, I am going back to Uni next year. 27 and going back to uni, I know very lame and little pathetic, but better late than never to try and achieve a better future.

Still young! Im 26 and have gone back to college, I still have 4 years of part time college until I am qualified. Sounds bad, 30 and career just starting, but how many people are at 40 in a unskilled, shit pay, going nowhere job? I won't be one of them. Neither will you Thumbs Up

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:18 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, I'm doing a masters soon, at 30.

Uni is a great place to meet good partners.

That said, be careful listening to people telling you to throw relationships away, especially on this forum Laughing Their advice often lacks empathy.

Re: insurance, I know depression/anxiety history excludes you from many policies, and undisclosed can bite you on unrelated injuries.

That said,in all my years travelling, I have never really had much insurance. Don't rent motorcycles.

It does sound like your being set up to fail whatever, and as shit tests go, this is damn expensive. The insurance does seem a good excuse to avoid the possible issues, and to keep that money for studying. As said, she should understand that.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:46 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you already did a Masters?
What was all the shark-breaching thing in South Africa, was that not part of your Masters?

Although I suppose its possible to do more than one .. Thinking Cool

Having not even done a Bachelors of Anything, I'm not really au fait on postgrad stuff these days.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:34 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

Although I suppose its possible to do more than one .. Thinking Cool

Yes, that is one of the ways to avoid the real world. Another one is to marry a rich but ugly person. Or if lucky, just a rich person Thumbs Up

Shark fiddling was an internship, worth jack shit in reality but a nice experience... albeit expensive and unwise in the recession, but meh.

Off to do a real masters to scrape the smell of TEFL teacher off of my CV Thumbs Up

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:12 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had travel insurance ever and I've been to Croydon, I've never felt the need to pay those scammers for something I won't need.
You could always speak to a certain Mr A Aarons about drumming up some trade for rainpal while your there Very Happy

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:34 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raffles wrote:
So, someones who hate you, and are already married, choose to jet-off somewhere 'exotic' to get married again and expect everyone else to go along with their chavvy pantomime? Fuck that for a lark.

Too right. Some mates of mine wanted an exotic foreign wedding and they did the decent thing and just fucked off and did it on their own, then came back and threw a party for family and friends. Because they are decent people not needy chavs.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:42 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to take this off topic for a moment,

Tracer1234 wrote:

Further than that, I am going back to Uni next year. 27 and going back to uni, I know very lame and little pathetic, but better late than never to try and achieve a better future.

not lame at all.

I flopped out of one degree and transferred onto another without actually leaving uni, realised I'd made a mistake in which course I did, took me half way through 3rd year (4 year course) to realise.

Both courses had a few mature students who'd realised there was something different they wanted to do with their life and were making it happen, and they were the most reliable in group projects and most punctual at lectures. I doubt you'll be the only mature student on your course.

It's worth, when you start uni, finding out about the support services available, there's quite a lot of support on offer from different student services departments.

Good luck Smile

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:01 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is a beautiful metaphor for what your life will be like if you stay in this relationship.

I've been there. Entire relationship was a set of obligations. Never happy. Voice screaming in my head that it wouldn't last but I wouldn't listen to it.

I subsequently found the right woman. It's very liberating to discover that a relationship doesn't have to make you miserable. In fact, quite the opposite. I had just assumed relationship and misery went hand in hand.

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:20 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: A question for the mentals of the forum. Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Why do you need to go? Are the Voices ordering you?

Laughing

It's good but it's not right. Laughing

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:24 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, OP, are you still :
(1) Going on the holiday?
(2) In a relationship with that bird?
(3) Alive?

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:38 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

angryjonny wrote:

I subsequently found the right woman. It's very liberating to discover that a relationship doesn't have to make you miserable. In fact, quite the opposite. I had just assumed relationship and misery went hand in hand.

Good to hear that Thumbs Up

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:24 - 21 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
So, OP, are you still :
(1) Going on the holiday?
(2) In a relationship with that bird?
(3) Alive?

Do, I did indeed go. As I said in the other thread, I valued the relationship enough to try. The last thing I wanted was to look back on this in the future and think, if only I had gone, it may have worked out... So I threw caution to the wind and fortunately didn't end up shackled. Life plans have been, since adapted mind.

But yeah, I am indeed alive.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 220 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2