Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Hot Bike, Cold Radiator (Pegaso)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:45 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Hot Bike, Cold Radiator (Pegaso) Reply with quote

Hi guys,

The last few days my bike has been getting quite hot, quite quickly. My commute to and from work is around 20 minutes each way, but even a few minutes in, the temperature gauge is right on the red line and the fan has kicked in.
Today, I (tentatively) put my hand on the radiator immediately after getting home and it was cool at the top (tepid at best) and hot at the bottom. At the bottom, I could put my hand on it for a few seconds before the heat made me move away.

I know dick all about bikes and cooling systems generally, but I did have a Corsa way back when that blew a head gasket after running hot for too long. I don't want a repeat of this again.

I have no clue what I am doing, but I can't get to a garage before the weekend, so if there's any diagnostics which I can do myself then please let me know.

Cheers.

stickybackbob
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:07 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the radiator full? If so, I'd check that the thermostat was working first, may be slow to open or stuck
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:11 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The level is a little over Max, like 1cm in the white tank on the side of the bike.
I don't know how to check to see if the thermostat is working. I'm absolutely clueless here.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:40 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MahatmaAndhi wrote:
The level is a little over Max, like 1cm in the white tank on the side of the bike.
I don't know how to check to see if the thermostat is working. I'm absolutely clueless here.

thats the expansion tank, it's a good indicator that the system is full, providing all is working well.

Could be that there is some air in the system so the radiator is not full causing the bike to run hot

Chris45
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:49 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water pump and/or thermostat.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 21:20 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can test the thermostat by removing it and putting it in simmering water it should open. If it doesn't it need replacing.

Have you got a service manual? Find out where the cooling system bleed screw(s) are and open them to see if coolant comes out.

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:32 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did have the foresight to take a picture while it was still light outside, so here's a direct link to the image where I think the thermostat is located. However, I have no idea what the thermostat looks like and which of these (if any) is the bleed screw.

I'll try and find a manual online somewhere.

https://i.imgur.com/kIX1zOA.jpg

Edit: Looks like I found a service manual online. I'll have a crack at it tomorrow. If it doesn't blow up on the way to work.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:11 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can just remove thermostat and run without it. If rad gets hot, thats your issue.

I ran my RS with no thermostat, took a while to warm up but aside from that...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red

PostPosted: 10:23 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be keen on having that as a long term solution. Especially through the winter.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:59 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
I wouldn't be keen on having that as a long term solution. Especially through the winter.

Mine was for winter Laughing I just covered 1/4 rad with duct tape.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:17 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MahatmaAndhi wrote:
I did have the foresight to take a picture while it was still light outside, so here's a direct link to the image where I think the thermostat is located. However, I have no idea what the thermostat looks like and which of these (if any) is the bleed screw.

I'll try and find a manual online somewhere.

https://i.imgur.com/kIX1zOA.jpg

Edit: Looks like I found a service manual online. I'll have a crack at it tomorrow. If it doesn't blow up on the way to work.

Yep - that's the water pump, and the thermostat is tucked behind it. Exploded view here: https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/5692934/pegaso-650-pegaso-650-pegaso-650-chassis-number-prefix-zd4ml-1997-2000-pegaso-650-chassis-number-prefix-zd4ml-all/water-pump

chris-red

PostPosted: 11:19 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
chris-red wrote:

A New stat is like £20 Laughing

chris-red

PostPosted: 11:26 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://marcel2cv.de/wp-content/uploads/peggyreparatur10.jpg

That's the stat housing remove it and put the stat in near boiling water, it should open, if it doesn't that's the problem.

Or as Paddy says remove the stat and run the bike.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:41 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Paddy. wrote:

A New stat is like £20 Laughing

I was between houses after being kicked out, zero cares at that point Laughing But yes, I fully agree, its not a long term thing, but if OP was to remove, I'd not be in a major rush to replace it if I needed to ride my bike Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 254 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1