Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What have you done to your bike today? Archive.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 269, 270, 271 ... 407, 408, 409  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:26 - 12 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Sold the 350, will be dropping to off to the new owner tomorrow. Now back down to one bike.

...and it's done.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:40 - 12 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sold the same 50cc , delivered it to over excited 16yr old today. Put (possible) project Chinese junk heap in the shed, and had txt conversation with current owner who is hoping for too much money.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:18 - 12 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

*SNIP*

Just me being a prize plonker and posting in the wrong thread... Embarassed Rolling Eyes Laughing

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:14 - 12 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put two new tyres on. Used the zip-tie method. Thumbs Up
Also used some hose pipe cut length ways as rim protector. Thumbs Up

Also Irwin heavy duty speed clamps for bead breaking. Thumbs Up

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:42 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
pompousporcupine wrote:
gpz900: started rebuilding carb set #2 in case the play in the linkage on set #1 was causing shite.. whilst everything was off i ran a compression test (with some oil down the bores)
1:120
2:170
3:180
4:180

So it was cylinder 1 after all causing the low speed running and popping issues Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad following that i tested the piston heights against each other and piston 1 is 3mm or so lower than the others. I'm guessing a bit of hydro lock was involved under previous ownership Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad ultimately one or more of the rods are bent

Oh dear. Sad
But otoh, perfect opportunity to fit a ZZR1100 lump? Very Happy

which was genuinely the first option i looked at Laughing

Unfortunately for me the head on the zzr has down draught carbs which won't clear the frame without major mods IE a gpz1100 head, zzr cams etc etc

I looked in the shed and found a second gpz900 engine which has 150psi across all 4 cylinders and no bent rods Cool

Giant shed full of random parts FTW

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:04 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitted a larger number plate.

https://s25.postimg.org/poxtlmg73/WP_20170813_13_32_18_Pro_2.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:13 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitted new throttle cables, rebuilt and reinstalled the carbs. Not sure if I could have avoided having to drain the coolant (heated carbs) but the Haynes manual said do it, so... Unfortunately I didn't have enough coolant to finish the job but I'll get some during the week. A good day, but if I had to earn a living doing this sort of thing I'd starve, it takes me so long.

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:17 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:

How come? Get in trouble?

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:54 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just rebuilt one of my (very leaky) Bros 400 forks, with internals from CBR600 F3 (1998) forks (cartridge forks with preload and rebound adjustment).

Unfortunately I forgot to order copper washers so I'm waiting for a box of 280 to turn up some time this week before I can fill it with oil.

Bit of a weight off my mind because I got the CBR internals in a set of Hawk GT (US market 650cc Bros) forks that I bought off a guy at a motorway services last year and I'm happy to find out that what was inside was fresh oil, bushes and the CBR bits I was expecting! Mr. Green

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=100077

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:59 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRZ4Hunned wrote:
thx1138 wrote:

How come? Get in trouble?

yeah, got stopped by local police on the way to petrol station a couple weeks ago, but they didn't write me a ticket, so didn't have the faff of paperwork and approved garage stamps

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:39 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pompousporcupine wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Oh dear. Sad
But otoh, perfect opportunity to fit a ZZR1100 lump? Very Happy

which was genuinely the first option i looked at Laughing

Unfortunately for me the head on the zzr has down draught carbs which won't clear the frame without major mods IE a gpz1100 head, zzr cams etc etc

But there's a common engine swap for these, isn't there? GPZ1000? ZX10? Only needs one mounting slightly altering or something?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:52 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitted new chain slider on cb500 - old one was floppy and weird. Threatening to fall apart and get chewed up by sprockets. Easy job - front sprocket cover off, chain guard off, and hanger.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:22 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Rebuilt the clutch slave cylinder on the Bimota, and fitted an adjustable clutch lever (found it on Wemoto, didn't know one was available).

And then tidied the garage.

All the best

Katy

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:40 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thrashed the shit out of it.

https://s21.postimg.org/t3ao1simf/20170813_220406.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdAjhSsCC5o&feature=youtu.be

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:08 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilredmachine wrote:

A 9second pass - nice one. Bet you're pleased with that.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:42 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tremendously pleased with the turbo pig, and quite proud to have lost a whole digit off the timing slip. On the friday the best I could run was a 10.0046, and I was somewhat convinced I just couldn't get it off the line well enough to get to the 9's. In the end I started running against a GSXR-1000 straightline bike, we got talking and he gave me a few pointers that got me the extra tenth and a bit. I ended up running a couple of 9s, I had to leave the bike to cool for about an hour and a half between runs to keep the heat away. I see why people run intercoolers now!

A few more pics from the weekend.

https://s22.postimg.org/8bb9gfnkh/20170813_084915.jpg

https://s13.postimg.org/5pjypf4if/20170813_085833.jpg

Sorry about the dodgy quality of these, they are camera'd off some hard copies I have.

https://s30.postimg.org/w788uv03l/20170813_220530.jpg

https://s17.postimg.org/p26eh3ofj/20170813_220442.jpg

This one I like, the Bandit has the poke to wheely through 1st, 2nd and 3rd even when extended and the game is to keep it down. In this pic I had failed and it's still carrying the front wheel almost to the 1/8th mile. Slow run but great fun!

https://s3.postimg.org/5opxrvzpf/20170813_220643.jpg

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:09 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job. I never got below 11seconds.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:10 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

But there's a common engine swap for these, isn't there? GPZ1000? ZX10? Only needs one mounting slightly altering or something?

that's the one, the zx10 is pretty much a straight swap with only a minor alteration needed. Finding one that is 100% on compression and internally for reasonable money is a different story altogether.

Yesterday i called in reinforcements to assist with removal and re-fitting of the donor engine Very Happy only took about 60 mins to disconnect, remove and refit the new engine.
It took a LOT longer to remove the snapped and seized bolt from the lower rear engine mount (the one holding the broken engine in the bike)
EVENTUALLY it went after a lot of faffing and a mate smacking it with a drift and 5lb hammer whilst i tried turning it with a 3ft bar attached to the half inch ratchet.

The bolt twisted: It was truly stuck.
https://s19.postimg.org/whltsibdv/IMAG3995.jpg

Proof that stuff happened
https://s19.postimg.org/joxpskzs3/IMAG3985.jpg
https://s19.postimg.org/vgll3dueb/IMAG3988.jpg

the colour of the oil in the donor engine after pouring 5+ litres in.

https://s19.postimg.org/uahl4l63n/IMAG3987.jpg

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:48 - 14 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pompousporcupine wrote:

Ah...commiserations...reckon you've got a head gasket situation?

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 07:22 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fitted the 'two brothers racing' cans that came with the ZZR the originals are heavier than I expected and the new are a lot louder than expected!

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:35 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

UnspeedySam wrote:
pompousporcupine wrote:

Ah...commiserations...reckon you've got a head gasket situation?

Hopefully not. I'm yet to run this engine. Managed to get the sump off and clean 20+ years of shite out of the gauze filters etc

This engine has been sat for years now, unsealed. By that i mean the oil cooler lines were off and the plugs out of the head, no intake or exhaust fitted etc so moisture could easily find its way in. I think (hope) that most of the colour is just the oil mixing with the water and after a few heat cycles and a couple of oil changes it will be back to normal Thumbs Up

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:07 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pompousporcupine wrote:
Hopefully not. I'm yet to run this engine. Managed to get the sump off and clean 20+ years of shite out of the gauze filters etc

This engine has been sat for years now, unsealed. By that i mean the oil cooler lines were off and the plugs out of the head, no intake or exhaust fitted etc so moisture could easily find its way in. I think (hope) that most of the colour is just the oil mixing with the water and after a few heat cycles and a couple of oil changes it will be back to normal Thumbs Up

Sounds feasible. Fingers crossed!

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:59 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I re-sealed the exhaust on the MZ, then tried to adjust the chain tension and failed. Not all bad though, the re-sealed exhaust really helps the engine to perform better. 2 strokes just hate exhaust leaks.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:33 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Looked at the front brake on one of the Freccias (the one still needing putting together properly). Pulling the lever and it felt like it was grinding. Felt awful, but couldn't see anything wrong. Take the lever off and it felt smooth.

Eventually landed up with some fluid squirting out of the brake line. Turns out the line was leaking and the grinding feel was fluid getting out of the inner part of the line (rubber hose). Suppose one advantage of a braided line in comparison is that when they burst you get no brakes at all instantly Laughing .

Changed the hose for a spare (need to source a new one) and bled the brakes. All smooth now.

Washed the bodywork, and then used T Cut on it. Hasn't been washed in a long time (probably not this century). Slowly getting bit together for it

All the best

Katy

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:49 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not mine, but oiled the chain on a mates 125, pumped his tyres to the correct psi, fixed knackered seat lock and removed the exhaust baffle.

Gotta educate yo.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 227 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 269, 270, 271 ... 407, 408, 409  Next
Page 270 of 409