Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Fitting New Stator Cover

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:08 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Fitting New Stator Cover Reply with quote

Hi,
I will be fitting my new genny cover next week, it has no paper gasket so uses a silicone sealant, My local Honda uses Wurth Super RTV (black), I also see a Honda Bond 08718-0004 and the 13-15 manual says ThreeBond TB1207B Black Silicone Liq. Gasket, they are all about the same price and non acidic. Or its equivalent, has anybody used these before.
thanks

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:31 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use,
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mannol-RTV-Black-Silicone-Sealant-Gasket-Maker-High-Temperature-Sealant-85g-Tube-/252323267377
On clean surfaces i use a small paint brush, wait until tacky then assemble finger tight then torque up 6 hours later.
Should be instructions anyway on the package.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:58 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Threebond will do the job nicely and is to OEM spec.

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:11 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Threebond will do the job nicely and is to OEM spec.

Thanks stikwheel, you think 100g tube is enough?, seems I need some Threebond TB1360 high tem medium threadlock as well to lock the stator bolts, not cheap any of it.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:23 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

100g will probably do the job 20 times over. All you need is a thin smear. Seal the end properly and keep it in the fridge in a zip lock bag to make it keep for longer (but get it back to room temp before using).

I personally use stuff called Permabond A136 on mating surfaces like that. It goes on as a liquid and smells of bubble gum. Quite expensive though. My 50ml bottle has lasted for years. Done several engine rebuilds with it. I like the way it remains a liquid until compressed so you can wipe off excess with a cloth and it's less likely to clogg oilways if you get any squeezout on the inside.

I suppose the thing is you're just wanting a flange sealant of some description. Blue hylomar would be fine too, or loctite flange sealant. The threebond is what it would have come with from the factory.

I would be less fussy about your brand of medium grip thread lock.

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:50 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that wasn't to bad, the casing was sticking on the lower dowel pin, once off I could see why, didn't look like any sealant was in front so allowed moisture between casing and had sandy brown deposits on there. The stator wiring was a bit fiddly to get through the frame as well.
Your right about a smear of sealant, I used the end of a model brush to smear it on very thinly after using the old casing for practice, when casing was joined and tightened only a tiny amount squeezed out, like a 1mm bit that just wiped off, put it back together and washed it, will take it for a test ride tommorow. I think I under torqued the stator bolts by 2 ft lbs but used the three bond thread lock so hopefully it won't come off.
Well that's a bit more confidence gained, thanks all.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 246 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1