Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:05 - 04 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
ARS125 wrote:

That is the the portable dyno that i was talking about.

I suspect that's a rolling road, not a dyno.

A rolling road is a dynamometer - a chassis dynamometer.

The size of a dyno is generally defined by the power it has to absorb, as well as the physical size of the vehicle or installation it has to measure.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:27 - 07 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Weren't they the same person?

I don't think so.
Untitled1995 claimed to have racked up a driving ban through an infinite number of penalty points or something but then didn't pass the custard test.
Also got caught riding on the motorway on a yzfr125.

Arcane was just.. Arcane
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:22 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

Maybe I got the terminology wrong. I suspect that little thing measures possible speed not power, so is used purely for mopeds which are also supposed to be speed restricted to 30mph.

You're correct.

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/8404986.Crack_down_on_mopeds_and_scooters_to_improve_road_safety/

Quote:
One moped was recorded on a portable ‘rolling road’ at a staggering 58mph – against the 30mph maximum for the moped classification for construction, licence and insurance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 18:40 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One moped was recorded on a portable ‘rolling road’ at a staggering 58mph – against the 30mph maximum for the moped classification for construction, licence and insurance.

Wonder how quick it would record for a bicycle with the gearing upped a bit.

All the best

Katy

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:19 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:

Wonder how quick it would record for a bicycle with the gearing upped a bit.

All the best

Katy

It would depend how hard you pedalled.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:29 - 08 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triton Thrasher wrote:
It would depend how hard you pedalled.

Quite. But unless they have put a random load on it, it is a test mainly of gearing. Takes very little force to spin a weighted roller up, and if they are just testing to see if there is some kind of limiter directly related to speed then no doubt someone could blast way over 30mph on a bicycle.

Most older moped were restricted by having enough power to hit 30mph. Without wind resistance that power will push it a lot quicker.

All the best

Katy

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:05 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was some thread on the SV forums ages ago that was about a million pages of a fella in the UK who had his sv taken by the coppers. They pissed about trying to dyno it, dropped it and did all sorts of retardation and the guy could not get it back for a long time. I think he just got a fine or something? would have to dig to find it. Probably the only guy to have it happen though.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:43 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, it's better, they set fire to it allegedly.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:18 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ARS125 wrote:
This this one was for doing 45 in a 40mph zone.

2. The more serious one 63mph on Edge Lane in Liverpool. This one was in court over 6 days after the first one and the DVLA has confirmed 6 penalty points and a 680 fine for this.

3. Due in court next week 34mph on a 30 road, if i remember correctly.

Fishy.

34 in a 30 and 45 in a 40 are below the ACPO guideline limit for prosecution. Enforcement would normally start at 10% + 2 over the limit. 35 in a 30, 46 in a 40

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:38 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember who it was.

But somebody on here did get done for no restriction while they stripped and inspected the bike while he was in hospital after crashing a bike through a wall, no 3rd parties involved.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:59 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
ARS125 wrote:
This this one was for doing 45 in a 40mph zone.

2. The more serious one 63mph on Edge Lane in Liverpool. This one was in court over 6 days after the first one and the DVLA has confirmed 6 penalty points and a 680 fine for this.

3. Due in court next week 34mph on a 30 road, if i remember correctly.

Fishy.

34 in a 30 and 45 in a 40 are below the ACPO guideline limit for prosecution. Enforcement would normally start at 10% + 2 over the limit. 35 in a 30, 46 in a 40

my mrs had three points on her licence that said otherwise
she got done for 34 by west mercia

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:15 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:

It doesn't say otherwise. He said it was what ACPO guidelines would normally be. You can be prosecuted for 30.1mph if they choose to do so.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:17 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

TLDR but from memory he wasn't even ever prosecuted even though they found his bike to be a very small amount over the legal power output (however that was supposed to be measured in the clear as mud way it was / is defined).

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:05 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

TLDR but from memory he wasn't even ever prosecuted even though they found his bike to be a very small amount over the legal power output

Yes, they said it came out at more than 10% over 25kW, but under the circumstances (i.e. they'd set fire to the evidence) they'd choose not to prosecute, and he could come and collect his slightly scorched bike.

IIRC, they tried to stitch him up for a storage fee as well.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:11 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Yes, they said it came out at more than 10% over 25kW

What's that, a couple of horsepower. Well - kitten-murker's gotta murk kittens.

I bet they gave some sort of legitimacy in law to that 10% extra too - as in the usual suck air through teeth well if it were only 7% over we'd let that go sunshine but since it's 10% over that's against the law innit.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:32 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

More like that's the lowest level that the CPS can be bothered to touch so that it's a slam-dunk. Police don't make charging decisions, much as they'd like to pretend that they do.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:47 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
Evil Hans wrote:

Fishy.

Not saying it's impossible, just quite unusual. And for it to happen twice in a row is ... unlikely.

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:58 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experience you're more likely to be stopped if you ride around on a 125 without L plates regardless of weather you have a bigger license entitlement.

Have been stopped twice, once on a CBR125 for riding without L plates. The officer that stopped me was quite arsey and asked me if I knew what the penalty for riding without L plates was. I did the "yes sir, mr police officer. I have full license sir."
To which his reply was "good, on your way".

The other time I was on my CBR250 and was pulled over by horse gaurds parade. Similar sort of conversation although the officer was much nicer. Even joked about getting a proper bike seeing as I had a full license.

In short, if pulled over be polite, yes sir, no sir. have a good day sir. Don't admit anything there. They'll quickly move you along.

Qyburn
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:20 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:

Quote:

Do you happen to have paperwork you could post up (with personal details removed)? The guys on various forums are always saying it never happens below the ACPO thresholds, so would be nice to see it documented.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:21 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qyburn wrote:

Do you happen to have paperwork you could post up (with personal details removed)? The guys on various forums are always saying it never happens below the ACPO thresholds, so would be nice to see it documented.

Woman I worked with many years ago got done for 32mph in a 30 limit.

These days they would be pushing a nice profitable speed awareness course

All the best

Katy

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:05 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Qyburn wrote:

Woman I worked with many years ago got done for 32mph in a 30 limit.

These days they would be pushing a nice profitable speed awareness course

All the best

Katy

Never heard of that low, couple of 34s, although I believe now any speed over and they want a bride.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:15 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
they want a bride.

Wub

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:41 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qyburn wrote:
andyscooter wrote:

Quote:

probably not now as it was five or so years ago

she did a course not long after for another that was 36 and was told by another west mercia officer they didn't prosecute under 35 she proved him wrong as she had the paperwork through

(she managed to get done twice in just over a week(west mercia and in somerset ) and had been done a few weeks before on way home from work by a fixed camera she thought didn't work
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 252 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3