Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Towing with a motorcycle?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Piercee100
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 05:56 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Towing with a motorcycle? Reply with quote

Using a tow rope between two cars is still legal, but how about motorcycles and has it ever been legal? I was towed off the motorway once by a mate. Rope tied to his bike and I held my end and incase of emergencies, could let go.

I may need to do this at the weekend for around 3 miles on an A-road. Thinking it will be fine as both bikes legal and not planning to exceed 30 mph?

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:44 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Towing with a motorcycle? Reply with quote

Piercee100 wrote:
Using a tow rope between two cars is still legal...

I didn't think this was legal anymore, it has to be a solid bar between tower and towee now doesn't it?
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:59 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's quite stupid and dangerous to use a motorcycle as a towing and towed vehicle. For that reason it is illegal in the Land of Beer and I do believe this is a EU regulation.

Funny story, my uncle's Jawa wouldn't start and he was lazy to push start it, so he used a rope and tied it to my aunt's car, she then tried to ''tow-start'' the bike. Long story short, she was draggin the bike without my uncle on it. Laughing

On a different note, I can't find any UK regulation on this matter, therefore it is legal to do so. Thinking

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:50 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be fine, unless you have an accident. Thumbs Up

Less likely to happen if the tower and towed are not eejits.

one in ten green lane ride outs someone gets a tow back to a road/garage/meet point

Legal? Dunno.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:51 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of legalities, make sure to video it for youtube.

The video title for upload would be something like 'man towing motorbike gets tow rope caught in chain'. Shocked

Piercee100
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:51 - 09 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither bike has a chain- one a shaft and one a cvt Smile Playing it safe and hired a van Thumbs Up

Cosmik de Bris
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 01:09 - 10 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about legality but I've done it a few times including one 100kM tow. The towee said his bike had never been so fast. Anyway the way we did it was for the towee to put one loop around some fixed point on the bike and hold the loose end, that way you can let go if there's a problem.

Cheers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iansoady
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:20 - 10 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What he said. I've done it in the past but given almost everyone has breakdown cover these days, why bother?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:33 - 10 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy is laughing at you all.

https://i.imgur.com/lbK1Rhql.jpg

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:43 - 10 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone on bcf had a little motorbike that they towed (or it might have been sidecar?) an either smaller trials bike.

That was one of the coolest things that I had seen.

Can't find the pic now though. Sad

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:57 - 10 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
This guy is laughing at you all.

https://i.imgur.com/lbK1Rhql.jpg

Towing a trailer is a completely different thing, though. Thumbs Up

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:58 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a UK cop bike on telly recently that was designed to pull cars by way of some kind of foldy-out contraption. The idea is apparently that they can get to a crash site or whatever and start shifting crap before the recovery wagons can get through the bogged up traffic.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:18 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
It's quite stupid and dangerous to use a motorcycle as a towing and towed vehicle.

Only if you're stupid to begin with, and shouldn't really be on a bike anyway. If you're the towee, don't tie the towed bike to the rope, but wrap it centered so that it can be held, and let go if things go pear shaped. If you're the tower, take your time and don't be a twat.

https://articles.superhunky.com/4/69
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:54 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the fashionable method these days is to be pushed along with the powered bike behind with his foot on the passenger footpeg of the spazzed bike. Helmets optional.

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:37 - 13 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
I think the fashionable method these days is to be pushed along with the powered bike behind with his foot on the passenger footpeg of the spazzed bike. Helmets optional.

Better still, no helmets means no worries about the police taking any action, but carry acid just in case...

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:15 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razz

https://gifyu.com/images/3094be.gif
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 250 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1