BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Lifan 125cc

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Vrcic
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:10 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Lifan 125cc Reply with quote

Hi guys, hate to say it but I am another person who got sold a shoddy pice of chinese engineering ^^

However I need some help fixing the electric start so I can sell it with mot.

All electrics work except the Electric Start button, It starts great off a bump start and kick start. There is no power to the button at all no whirring nothing.

Could you help me try and pinpoint the cause so I dont get stung with tons of sevice charges at a garage.

tia

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:18 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Lifan 125cc Reply with quote

Vrcic wrote:

Does it need an electric start for the MOT?

Get a multimeter, and start with where you do have power and work along logically - check the input and output of the switch, trigger wire to the solenoid, power to the solenoid.

Can you touch a live feed directly to the starter and make it spin that way?

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:36 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solenoid might be bad.

If there's absolutely no click sound when you push the starter button then the solenoid might be fecked. I don't know if they have a fuse somewhere but it would be wise to check that first.

Then trace the big starter wire back from the starter to a little thing that looks something like this:

solenoid
https://s22.postimg.org/ycn73colt/333.jpg

With the ignition on, take a screwdriver or something else metal and short out those two terminals with the big wires bolted on them. Careful, it might spark a bit.

If the starter sounds like it's now trying to work then the thing you just poked with a screwdriver is probably bad. New ones aren't that expensive.

If the solenoid clicks when you push the button but the starter doesn't work then it's probably time for a new starter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:04 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

lingeringstink wrote:
I don't know if they have a fuse somewhere but it would be wise to check that first.

IIRC, my Chinese fake-away had a 30A inline fuse on the fat cable from the battery +ve to the starter. So trace from both ends, back from the starter motor to find the solenoid, and from the battery to the solenoid.

Vrcic
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:19 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mot place started it via the kick start and accepted that as they couldnt figure out the issue with the button.

The bike is in the garage to fix a few things to pass the mot, I will try some visual inspections on the wiring and see what I can find, maybe a diagram online will help me out, if its a new starter thats needed then that makes things a lot simpler.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:27 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before going too far, check the switch itself - I've had a couple of cheapy 125's (including a YBR) which developed issues with the switch itself rather than anything more complicated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:33 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vrcic wrote:
I can sell it with mot.

Vrcic wrote:
The bike is in the garage to fix a few things to pass the mot

I hope you've done your sums carefully.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:35 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

I hope you've done your sums carefully.

Indeed. Advert should read:
Fastest 125 on market - dus 90mph!
Quik fix - just needs sum wk 4 MOT.

Vrcic
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:03 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

this sounds really silly but im wondering if it just a dodgy battery. As I was riding it back from the garage it struggled to take the throttle and stalled, couldnt get it to start again it has fuel, and now shows no electrics at all. Think I need to test that battery first.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:41 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could very well be, and it'll be a lot cheaper to check than to start throwing parts at it. If it's a basic wet-cell battery, check that the electrolyte level in each cell is between the min and max lines - you should be just about able to see it through the side of the battery.

https://i.imgur.com/MIS9PNe.png?1

If not, top up with distilled / deionised water, not tap water.

Vrcic
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:59 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a newbie finding things on bikes, I am guessing its underneath the fairings near the seat at least thats where the wires are connecting to each other.

It was dark but with the ignition on I saw zero light from gear led no N in neutral no indicators and then tried my lights and saw a very feint main beam light but it was flashing ever so slowly has to suggest its getting a very low battery feed, which would lead me to believe that either the alternator is fucked or the battery is so far dead that it doesnt hold charges anymore.

I will try and find it and check it in the morning.

Vrcic
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:23 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vrcic wrote:
I am a newbie finding things on bikes, I am guessing its underneath the fairings near the seat at least thats where the wires are connecting to each other.

It was dark but with the ignition on I saw zero light from gear led no N in neutral no indicators and then tried my lights and saw a very feint main beam light but it was flashing ever so slowly has to suggest its getting a very low battery feed, which would lead me to believe that either the alternator is fucked or the battery is so far dead that it doesnt hold charges anymore.

I will try and find it and check it in the morning.

So I am getting zero power from that battery now the horn doesnt even work (it did before).

I dont have the tools to get the fairing off and get to the battery but I did find two red thin wires with kind of circle things on the end they look like wires that havent been attached to the battery (could be just poor wiring using more wires than needed?) anyways ill get it tested tomorrow.

My question is as im not sure what tech this bike uses to start whether its full electrics or others.

Can a bike like a Lifan be kick Started with a battery with no power? because it refuses to be kick started now there is no electrics at all.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:08 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Lifan 125cc Reply with quote

Vrcic wrote:
Hi guys, hate to say it but I am another person who got sold a shoddy pice of chinese engineering ^^

.................. blah blah blah
tia

.. So, just because it can't/won't start you blame shoddy chinese workmanship, and, yet, surely you checked over what you were buying, but, don't have any tools, not even to take the fairing off ??? Confused Confused

Depending on how long you've had it, how regularly you've used it, unless a garage has done the work, you're unlikely to have carried out any maintenance??

Just asking, so as I get the picture straight in my head
Vrcic This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:02 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Lifan 125cc Reply with quote

Vrcic wrote:

Blah Blah Blah!

tia

I cant help with the immediate problem as regulars have already tried to help and I cant add anything.
However I can give you some advice.
Don`t be rude to those who are trying to help you, you are a stranger here, accept a bit of criticism.
If you buy a bike (any bike), it`s always good to research that bike BEFORE you buy it, the internet is a wonderful thing Thumbs Up

Like Linuxyeti, I have a Chinese bike and don`t have to many issues with it.
However I did research the bike as best I could BEFORE I bought it.
I also have a tool kit and that helps Thumbs Up
Haynes do a basic motorcycle maintenance book, you might find that a help???

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:52 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vrcic wrote:
If thats the attitude you want to use thats fine, not going to rise to it.

If you cant be nice then dont post simple isnt it.

No, didn't mean to unpleasant, but, you bought the bike, complained about the workmanship during it's manufacture, which, may or may not be the case, but, it sounds like you don't know too much about the history of the bike, how well it has or hasn't been looked after. Finding a couple of wires, that sound like, from your description, at some point were attached to the battery, but no longer are, doesn't sound all that good. Sounds like it's had some sort of accessory attached at some point, perhaps heated grips, sat nav, spotlights, usb charger ... Do you know what effect that may have had to your bike's electrics? You may be lucky, might be a bad battery, but, it might equally, be nothing more than a loose connection on the battery, or the regulator.

BUT, get a tool kit, even a very basic 1 will help, get a haynes manual, or, watch the miriad of youtube howtos.

And yes, I've had a number of chinese bikes over the years, and, when looked after, they have proven to be very reliable, from 80 mile round trip daily commutes on a Chituma CTM-125, to, my 120 mile round trip commute on the CF650TR, even, 2 of us on Lifan LF400's doing a John O'Groats run over 4 days, 1600 miles all told, with no issues.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:44 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we have a flouncer here Laughing

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:00 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would appear so !! Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 246 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1