Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Chalky.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:27 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: What bike... Reply with quote

For rounding up sheep...

Bear with me on this one.

It's handy having a 2 wheeler as it's much more manoeuvrable than the quad bikes.

Currently use a DRZ400, the reliability and 4 stroke is lovely but it's too big and heavy as spending a lot of time on wet and hilly ground.

Any suggestions for something lighter? Doesn't need to set the world alight with speed, has to go over some very bad terrain and will need knobblies (or need to be able to retrofit).

Ta

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:44 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

gasgas ec300 light weight and more than enough power for your needs Thumbs Up

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:48 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any 2 stroke enduro bike. Modern 2 stroke enduro bikes aren't highly strung beasts, but tractable, practical and reliable machines. That said they can be stupidly quick when required and are great fun.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:06 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.odt.co.nz/sites/default/files/story/2016/04/helicoptersheep.JPG

Chalky.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:21 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the responses.

Gas gas looks good but too pretty and too dear. Will be chucked about a lot.

Run two collies, keeping up is the problem though!

I'll put a cap-ex in for a chopper Wink
RjMaan This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:02 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha yz250

Nottsbiker
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:25 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another + vote for the old Border Collie as we have two ourselves Cool

Bike-wise I'd get a DT200 or something similar - reliable, nippy and light Thumbs Up

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:37 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: What bike... Reply with quote

How far do you travel in a day?

I would be very tempted by an electric push bike conversion.

Uses no power when you're not going, but have instant torque as soon as you turn the throttle with no starting issues (you will need to set it up not to auto-turn off).

The lack of noise may be good for not scaring sheep, but may be bad for... not scaring sheep. Could always add a speaker.

After initial purchase price, very cheap to run until you need to replace batteries.

Depending on the setup you go for, can be very light - ie easily enough pickup and put on the back of a pickup.
Can get one that'll do 30mph for very reasonable prices - 40-50mph and still not too bad, but starting to bump the cost up a bit.

No gears and easy to hop on/off.

I have my trailer running on 20" unicycle rims that have 16" mx tyres fitted (very similar rim sizes) - light weight, but oodles of grip for a light vehicle.

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:18 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honda MSX 125 with off road tyres?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:38 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo wrote:

Why, why, why?...
Heavier and slower than a pitbike with less choice of off road rubber.

Possibly less slightly likely to get stolen, but also going to be a much bigger hit if it is.

Still don't get them, apart from for the hispter aspect! Razz

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:14 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate uses a hi lux or a l200

Very rarely misses one into the next field

I can use a quad and do it

Your doing it wrong
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:39 - 24 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

@G Laughing Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:18 - 24 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
woo wrote:

Why, why, why?...
Heavier and slower than a pitbike with less choice of off road rubber.

Possibly less slightly likely to get stolen, but also going to be a much bigger hit if it is.

Still don't get them, apart from for the hispter aspect! Razz

I think everyone has a monkey bike fantasy (don't they? Embarassed) and Honda came out with a mainstream solution, hence the popularity.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:39 - 24 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see the appreciation and USP Honda have with the MSX. The other good thing about it is that is funky and different. That and it's properly built using real metal too. There's not enough funky or interesting 125's being made today, as the market is dominated by knock off CBF/YBR and CBR cheap imitators.

people can buy a new 125 for under £1500 approx or less, and it has fairings, stripes and tacky racy bits, but it will last 2years before being tthrown dead in a skip. Its done it's job to most 125 riders. They either go on to bigger things, give up bikes, or deem it worthwhile to go out any buy another one the same.

MSX is kind of Cool, and it does its bit to get bikes to appeal to non bikers and more people etc. The only other recent funky bikes were things like the TW125, Van Van, or Derbi something or other.

I personally think I'd like a Kawasaki KSR 80 more, it got there first many years ago, like the TDR 80 etc. The miniature supermoto look etc.

But they arnt 125's, they were grey imports, and they make the wrong noise and stink. Its very not correct to like such products these days, and they are un marketable.

In short the MSX is cool enough, and helps get more people onto bikes, the lack of which is the biggest problem and the one that will end the scene one day too.

Remember it's 2-3decades ago now since we had the days of the aspirational pinnacle poster 125's to drool over. Since the light speed technology pace led mostly by the Italians with the wannabe GP racer, motocross/ supermoto star, or Dakar adventure equipment.

We need pinnacle 125's again, dripping in technology and cool factor and saucy componentry. The MSX has a big crazy tuning scene around it, so it's OK with me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:56 - 24 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

To conclude; because... hipster?

Wink

The "tuning scene" is the exact opposite for me.
If you wanted a smallish bike you occasionally see an 85cc road legal 2 stroke converted motocross bike.
20hp+ and a lot less weight. Or spend a lot more money on a slow heavy Honda... so you can be put to sleep a little quicker Razz.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:21 - 24 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Wot's 180 something cc tuned one with all the trick Japanese tuning gear on it? Nobody rides 85cc converted MX bikes on the road, to alot of 125 would be riders, they probably never seen and don't know a CR85 exists, or how to plate one for the road.

In 125cc terms I've had ace but dull bikes like CG125's, the mpg fuel sippers are brilliant, and I had mine 15years before the hipster movement. You can't say CG125 sensible everyday bike anymore, as even they are expensive to buy now, and modified, tuned or ruined by the movement.

I would hate to buy a cheap (probably Chinese) 125 that has no support, and worse no aftermarket parts or tuning industry looking after it.

Doing stuff with a bike is the fun bit for me, riding it is sometimes ok but often a huge pointless frustration as is using any vehicle on the road today most of the time.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 239 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1