Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Which Insurer for a middle aged guy returning to biking?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bonnie Lad
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:17 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the flip side re. Hastings, I got knocked off my bike by some clown college minicab driver in London who initially tried to weasel out of it.

Had to claim through my own insurer (hastings at the time) and then when liability was confirmed by cops and witnesses have his insurer reimburse them to make sure my NCB remained intact.

Actually found them very easy to deal with on all fronts in that particular case!

Also massive LOL at middle aged, give your head a shake man!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:34 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted wrote:
plus all the legal/injury stuff

Peace of mind, eh?

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:14 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much. The slimy barstools would probably find a way to not pay out for injuries, but I still prefer to take it out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mastic
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:20 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive passed my full licence this month on the 15th Aug and have been riding on a CBT for nearly 2 years (Honda CBF125).
Just phoned Hastings for a quote on a brand new Honda CBR 500R with Datatag, parked on driveway with oxford anchor and screamer disc lock, 1 years NCB (2 years on 12/09/17). held a full car licence for 22years. Quoted £1300 on Full as cant insure 3rd party f/t Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:00 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

XV750 one year NCB protected and pillion cover, Hastings £120 but I am middle aged (56)

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:26 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it helps I've had my licence a while then!

Mine is actually down as parked on road with no security, as I couldn't find 'unbranded' in the list...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:29 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mastic wrote:
Ive passed my full licence this month on the 15th Aug and have been riding on a CBT for nearly 2 years (Honda CBF125).
Just phoned Hastings for a quote on a brand new Honda CBR 500R with Datatag, parked on driveway with oxford anchor and screamer disc lock, 1 years NCB (2 years on 12/09/17). held a full car licence for 22years. Quoted £1300 on Full as cant insure 3rd party f/t Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Get a second hand bike/TPO or F&T. Some of my most expensive quotes have been on new 250s, insurers seem to actually take vehicle value into account (unlike car insurance).

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:23 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted wrote:
parked on road with no security

Does your mother know you do this type of stuff?

Legal Cover ® is a scam.

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:02 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insurance itself is a scam! Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:46 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Legal Cover ® is a scam.

Not arguing just curious to know why? I was told not having legal cover was a problem, that can end up in you being liable for eye-watering court fees. Also people often refer to legal cover on household insurance policies (for various things), so why is that better?

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:52 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Ste wrote:
Legal Cover ® is a scam.

Not arguing just curious to know why? I was told not having legal cover was a problem, that can end up in you being liable for eye-watering court fees.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_expenses_insurance#Before-_and_after-the-event_insurance

Legal cover is before the event insurance. You can still get after the event insurance if you don't have cover and have an insurable event. The cost of it will come out of any winnings, though.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:38 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

£400 without and NCD is not bad.

All insurance premiums are up. Gouging is mainly to blame. Smile

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:41 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

barrkel wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_expenses_insurance#Before-_and_after-the-event_insurance

Legal cover is before the event insurance. You can still get after the event insurance if you don't have cover and have an insurable event. The cost of it will come out of any winnings, though.

That's the situation I was in, F&T so no legal cover before (don't remember it being offered as an add-on either), then I was advised by the solicitor handling my claim not to take a policy out afterwards. Long story short I was <24 hours from losing my shirt, it was a bit stressy Smile

tsmith
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:09 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

30 isn't middle aged.
I'm 40 - that's middle aged and I pay £200 a year fully comp for a 500cc. With an aftermarket exhaust and suspension.

Passing the IAM and telling them I never carry a pillion got the price down a bit.

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:33 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did notice the pillion thing makes a difference.

I'm hoping to get my wife on the back at some point. She is the same age as me, but much younger.

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited my profile the other day. Better?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:33 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted wrote:
I did notice the pillion thing makes a difference.

I'm hoping to get my wife on the back at some point. She is the same age as me, but much younger.

You should know by now if you mention a wife or daughter you have to post pics...

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:08 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I post an older photo, when we met and she was skinny? Or does it need to be a current one?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:49 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't pre-judge our tastes, you racist, post both.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 240 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2