Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

When do manufacturers announce what bikes are discontinued?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

bigbadcredit
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:36 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: When do manufacturers announce what bikes are discontinued? Reply with quote

I'm buying a second bike just because I've always wanted the model. It's the Suzuki VanVan (RV125, RV200).

Now I'm buying it new and I'm aware that this is the last year in Europe that manufacturers are able to sell bikes that don't have ABS.

It's not a make or break decision for my purchase but in honesty if I can wait a few months and get a Vanvan WITH ABS then I will delay the purchase until 2018. But I don't want to risk waiting for 2018 to roll around only for Suzuki to discontinue the bike in Europe. (it will be back in the US but won't have ABS in that market)

So yeah does anyone know when/how to find out if Suzuki will be selling the vanvan in europe next year.

I've exhausted my google skills trying to find out myself. Thanks.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:12 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: When do manufacturers announce what bikes are discontinu Reply with quote

bigbadcredit wrote:
I'm aware that this is the last year in Europe that manufacturers are able to sell bikes that don't have ABS.

ABS on 126cc+, ABS or linked brakes up to 125cc.

Last year was the last year.

Actually, 2015 was the last year for bikes designed after 2013.

Non-ABS/linked brake bikes are still being sold this year in limited[*] numbers under some grandfather rule that the DVLA has pulled out of their earhole.

If the Van-Van doesn't have linked brakes or ABS now, and it looks like it doesn't, then it's highly likely that it never will and that the current dealer stock is all there is.

You could ask a Suzuki dealer, but expect a blank stare followed by whatever lie comes easiest to hand.

[*] Ostensibly. But as I said, last year was the last year...

Mawsley
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:14 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

6am, tomorrow.

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:21 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't hold your breath for an ABS model.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:23 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, why would someone go for the 200? 4 more bhp but I imagine a poor resale market.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:56 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Out of curiosity, why would someone go for the 200? 4 more bhp but I imagine a poor resale market.

It's the kind of bike you keep. It has 50% more torque than the 125. Still not a big number, but that's going to make for a better ride.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:48 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mawsley wrote:
6am, tomorrow.

Where do you wanna meet?

bigbadcredit
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:40 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="M.C"]Out of curiosity, why would someone go for the 200? 4 more bhp but I imagine a poor resale market.[/quote]

I'd be thinking of keeping the bike for the long term. Really don't think I'd sell it.

But now you've said it why would the resale value be lower? I would have thought higher because I'm guessing there are fewer of them but i really don't know.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:46 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one wants one aside from a select few. It's an underpowered bike. You can get a 250 modern bike which has a chunk more power.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:47 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigbadcredit wrote:
But now you've said it why would the resale value be lower?

Learner legal bikes carry a premium. You can get a perfectly servicable 600 for the price of a clapped out, abused, rusted 125 under 15BHP/11KW

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:51 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much the above. Much bigger market for 125s, tiny market for bikes barely over the learner limit.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:56 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a capacity that's been made obsolete by the 2013 licencing changes. Sales of even the new "300"-"390" bikes are small compared to the new CB500 variants.

It's not surprising, since the CB is practically speaking the smallest capacity bike that anyone has to use to get an A2 license. Why would you get your license on a "500" (471cc) then take a step down in capacity? A Duke 390 (373cc) may have the same power-to-weight and more fun, but it has less absolute power and torque, and you're already used to the weight of the Honda (or higher).

So the market for 126-400s is mostly just geezers with a full license who are moving back down in capacity (hello) or penny pinchers looking for a bargain (ahoy) - but then why would you buy new?

I believe that manufacturers have hugely mis-judged the EU or at least the UK market for sub-500 bikes. Kawasaki have thrown in the towel on both their 250 single and 300 twin naked and sports offerings, although they're having a go with a 300 "adventure" version. BMW's much anticipated (by the biking press) G310R has been available since late 2016 but registered just 18 bikes in Q1 2017.

For reference, the Ninja 250 I bought last year was up on Gumtree for over a month before I took pity on the seller and had it from him.

All that said, the Van Van 200 is quirky enough that I believe it's a bit more likely than most to find a buyer, and especially more than a slow "sports" bike.

</Tef>

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:49 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
It's a capacity that's been made obsolete by the 2013 licencing changes.

I think a bit longer than that, even in the 33bhp days I doubt a smidge over 15bhp would have been appealing, especially when you could buy a ZX6R and 'restrict' it. If the learner limit was increased back up to 250cc (with a horsepower limit), then there would be a market, and with all the current offerings being 4-stroke I don't really see a reason why it shouldn't.

bigbadcredit
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:29 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="M.C"]If the learner limit was increased back up to 250cc (with a horsepower limit), then there would be a market, and with all the current offerings being 4-stroke I don't really see a reason why it shouldn't.[/quote]

Yeah don't really see the idea behind a cc restriction. When I learnt to ride in Ireland the restriction on the learner permit was 47bhp and a maximum power/weight ratio of 0.2 kW/kg. Seems a more logical restriction.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:42 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no reason that we couldn't allow soLo riding on any category of bike (appropriate to the rider's age). I mean, there's every reason, since we shouldn't be doing it at all, even for 125s.

It's simply not countenanced by the Eurodikats in any capacity, so we're already sticking a finger up at Jeanny-Fritz.

Why limit ourselves to the little finger?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 223 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1