Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

One for The insurance bods....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:11 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: One for The insurance bods.... Reply with quote

Does the sat nav mount on my bike count as a modification? I.e in an accident could my insurance refuse to pay out as I haven't made them aware of it?

Thanks

Bloggsy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:15 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think not it's an accessory

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:01 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloggsy wrote:

What about (removable) topbox/panniers?
Heated handlebars?
Auxillary fusebox?
Replacement windscreen?
etc etc
All seems a very grey area to me. And it's a bugger when an awful lot of insurers (the online ones at least) seem to kick off if you have any modifications at all

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:03 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: One for The insurance bods.... Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
Does the sat nav mount on my bike count as a modification? I.e in an accident could my insurance refuse to pay out as I haven't made them aware of it?

Thanks

No. They could refuse to pay out for your sat nav mount, mind, if it's not specifically covered (ie there's no extension for accessories up to xyz value).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:06 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a very large number of folks out there riding their bikes with undeclared mods. This is often because many of those mods make it a better bike, often safer to ride, and yet they still get stung for upgrading, proving that insurance companies are crooks who aren't really interested in how safe you and your vehicle are.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:20 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been led to believe that something like a satnav/phone mount and panniers are accessories as they are removable. So as long as you have accessory cover, then they 'should' pay out.

Something like uprated LED indicators, different style wheels, etc are not considered removable and are classed as modifications.

Heated grips would probably count as a modification as they are wired in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:33 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted wrote:
I have been led to believe that something like a satnav/phone mount and panniers are accessories as they are removable. So as long as you have accessory cover, then they 'should' pay out.

Something like uprated LED indicators, different style wheels, etc are not considered removable and are classed as modifications.

Heated grips would probably count as a modification as they are wired in.

But if I've correctly learned my lesson from arry recently, wouldn't the insurer now have to prove that a claim was related to the presence of replacement indicators, wheels, heated grips etc in order to deny said claim?

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:39 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

To deny a whole claim, usually yes. But they will try to use undeclared mods as a way out of paying if they can.

However, if it was a repair claim, they could agree to fix all the damage except for the modified parts, or if you are luckily they will pay for replacements but they will only be the factory spec ones.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:37 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted wrote:
To deny a whole claim, usually yes. But they will try to use undeclared mods as a way out of paying if they can.

However, if it was a repair claim, they could agree to fix all the damage except for the modified parts, or if you are luckily they will pay for replacements but they will only be the factory spec ones.

Validity of contract first; policy indemnity and basis of settlement second. Don't confuse the two, and don't merge one into the other.

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:07 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the speed awareness for with 9
points issue, but I'll tell you this, wearing white boots should get you an insta ban. Possibly even a prison sentence. Evil or Very Mad

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:08 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeypony wrote:
points issue, but I'll tell you this, wearing white boots should get you an insta ban. Possibly even a prison sentence. Evil or Very Mad

Wrong thread?

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:09 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all - and arry espescially - I was hoping you'd come along Smile

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:15 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Monkeypony wrote:

Wrong thread?

Laughing How the fuck did that happen!!?? Laughing

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:16 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Bloggsy wrote:

What about (removable)
Heated handlebars?

Bikesure have just tried to reject my brother's claim because of heated grips.

They had, however, cancelled his insurance after two days (due to a claim that wasn't a claim, he dealt directly with the person who hit his bike rather than the insurance company) charging £15 for the priviledge and then change £30(approx) a day for the two days that he was insured rathger than the £0.46p that the £105 premium would normally charge.

All in all they were gonna rip him off for about £95 for two days plus he had to declare the cancelled insurance.

Unfortunately, it fell over in his garage in those two days (which they insisted on insuring him for) doing about £500 damage......

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:52 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

They had, however, cancelled his insurance after two days (due to a claim that wasn't a claim, he dealt directly with the person who hit his bike rather than the insurance company) charging £15 for the priviledge and then change £30(approx) a day for the two days that he was insured rathger than the £0.46p that the £105 premium would normally charge.

All in all they were gonna rip him off for about £95 for two days plus he had to declare the cancelled insurance.

Unfortunately, it fell over in his garage in those two days (which they insisted on insuring him for) doing about £500 damage......

Shocked

Nobby has a brother! There's more than one of them! Run for the hills! Razz
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:19 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Shocked

if you got off your arse and sorted an FB account you'll find out he's even more amusing/obnoxious* than me

*delete as appropriate depending on your view of me.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:40 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Shocked

if you got off your arse and sorted an FB account

Never gonna happen.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:57 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Eh? What pseudo-legal-goblin-jabber language did they use to try that on?

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Because of the weight of the heated grips?

Y U no PM arry for the magic words?

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:26 - 21 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
There are a very large number of folks out there riding their bikes with undeclared mods. This is often because many of those mods make it a better bike, often safer to ride, and yet they still get stung for upgrading, proving that insurance companies are crooks who aren't really interested in how safe you and your vehicle are.

My insurance went up on the Hornet when I said it had crash bungs (but engine bars would have been fine) as they 'may affect the handling'

hmmm

two reasons they're on,

1) already fitted when I bought it
2) hopefully allow me to ride it home after a low speed nonclutch case shattering (thanks to said bungs) incident

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:45 - 21 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: One for The insurance bods.... Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

Thanks

Declare fuck all. Came with it, didn't know, would it have affected the accident at all, goodbye insurance company, suck my wang etc.

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:23 - 21 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure about a year or to or so ago it was made clear insurers cannot refuse to pay out on formalities?

The case was something along the lines of someone riding a de-restricted bike and the police prosecuted however the insurers tried to reject his claim due to riding a bike outside his licence however the police report proved that due to the speed of the incident (30mph), the de-resection of the bike made no contribution to the accident and therefore they could not refuse on this basis?

Please don't tell me I dreamt this or are the insurance companies still just not giving a sh*t?

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:02 - 26 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd add my recent experience to this thread, after renewing this week...

I went with Hastings (because they were massively cheaper than anyone else, and with much lower excess). At the first page of the quote generator it says the following (it won't let me copy and paste this text):

https://i.imgur.com/lAAXuNU.jpg

I thought 'meh', this will be good. So having got my quote (to which I added a notional figure of £500 to cover all accessories, non-itemised; and which didn't affect the quote) I phoned them up to run through my list. I just decided to give them the whole lot, as the call is recorded of course: luggage rack, topbox, aftermarket windscreen, tankbag, driving lamps, satnav, disc lock alarm, and heated grips - with no more detail or itemising than that. The guy went away for a bit, and came back to say 'all those are fine; no increase in premium required'. Which, given the nature of the kit, is quite right and proper IMHO, but seems to go against what others have experienced.

One other oddity to report. I was just about to pay the premium when I spotted that the excess was £250 rather than the £150 I got last time I ran the quote, a few days ago. Cheeky buggers, I thought. I went back into the quote and saw that they'd added in a £100 voluntary excess on top of the £150 compulsory one. OK, I thought, let's see what happens when I take the voluntary one back to zero. Answer - absolutely no effect on the premium at all. So I've ended up with £150 excess rather than £250. How weird is that?

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:49 - 26 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I alone in not being able to remember what bike they own is insured with who? Embarassed

Anyway, the Honda, I think it is, the policy had a huge bunch of things that I could safely ignore - long list of stuff they didn't care about, including changing grips, mirrors, indicators, handlebars etc etc

I went with them, whoever they are, because of this.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:05 - 26 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a £500 excess then why make a claim for a £50 sat nav mount?
Thell tell you to do one, (you pay for the claim from the excess first then the insurer pays any balance) and records a Claim 😎.

I thought that is why they use the excess to avoid the petty claims.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:15 - 26 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That wasn't the question.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 156 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2