Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda cam bearing modification

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:44 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Honda cam bearing modification Reply with quote

I never noticed this before but have a look at this picture:

RNA4902
https://s28.postimg.org/58pbw2hnh/image.jpg

Is that a little hole in the bearing for the oil to go through? If so then this would be a fantastic replacement for those self destructing Honda style cam bearings. On the Honda style engines the bearings line up by way of a little sticky-out bit that sits in a special groove and oil is pumped through the hole in it. If these needle roller bearings also have a hole then all is well.

I'd never noticed the hole before because the other pictures of these bearings I'd seen didn't show it but as I was about to order some I saw it. This could be a good thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:10 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say so, it does look like an oil line.

V2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:52 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep that's the oil/grease hole
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:01 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, of course, now I know what's it for. You fill the bearing with grease through there. The bearings ship dry.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:43 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The groove is the lubricant channel and the holes allow lubricant to flow into the bearing rollers.

Roller bearings are magnificent machines.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:55 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

We use some pretty nifty one way needle rollers where I work, I'd not come across them before. Cool stuff for sure Thumbs Up

V2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:42 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have those too, sprag clutch bearings, engineering masterpiece!

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:45 - 21 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then why did Honda use weird self destructing solid cam bearings for decades even long after they had become known for being an issue?

Anyway, I'm ordering some for my cam. I can't see any reason why they wouldn't work great.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:51 - 21 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

lingeringstink wrote:
Then why did Honda use weird self destructing solid cam bearings for decades even long after they had become known for being an issue?

Anyway, I'm ordering some for my cam. I can't see any reason why they wouldn't work great.

That's how they get you. Thumbs Up

But seriously, when were the engines produced and when did someone come up with such bearing?

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:58 - 21 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christ alive,
my 1.9 turbo diesel doesn't even have bearings on the cam Shocked.

Now I'm thinking about how to machine it back and get some of those in there Rolling Eyes

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:00 - 21 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting point there. When I was a kid there was a farmer lived near us who had old cars, one of which was a terribly ratty Model-T that he still drove around a lot. Apparently the car had been upgraded constantly over the years by doing things like fitting modern wheels and brakes and modifying bits of the engine to take proper bearings where things like leather used to go and that sort of thing. I remember as a kid seeing him absolutely hooting down the road in that old beater like it was a modern car. That is probably where I first got the idea of fixing up useless shit just to see if it could be done.

Trigger's broom.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:32 - 21 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well lingeringstin..., if you keep fixing your vehicle and updating it, it'll live forever, unless the rust eats it away. Old cars had lower standards to fuel and oil. Old 4 strokes, requiring lead, may be modified to run on unleaded petrol. I mean, you wouldn't fitting ABS (not impossible), TCS, ESP, airbags and other toys, obviously.

Also, not sure about the outside world, but in the Land of Beer the law and regulation never acts retrospectively (Criminal law is an exception). So you may still legaly drive it, the MOT reuirements are still the same...

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:52 - 21 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd guess it's an oilway.
However , it might be a good idea to make sure it's not a blind hole for a locating peg.

Just a thought and my Penny Coin Penny Coin

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:53 - 21 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

lingeringstink wrote:

Cheap and works very well with a good clean oil supply. Roller bearing is noisier (a non issue back then), a bit less efficient and bulkier

RhynoCZ wrote:
Also, not sure about the outside world, but in the Land of Beer the law and regulation never acts retrospectively (Criminal law is an exception). So you may still legaly drive it, the MOT reuirements are still the same...

Almost the case in the UK. Retrospective changes are rare, but an example is rear view mirrors on cars.

But nowadays they are coming up with all sorts of taxes on older vehicles (eg, congestion charges) which are in effect retrospective.

All the best

Katy

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:14 - 21 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug_the_bastard wrote:
MCN wrote:

We use some pretty nifty one way needle rollers where I work, I'd not come across them before. Cool stuff for sure Thumbs Up

Sprag Clutch?

As used in Torque Converter shafts and cetera.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:05 - 21 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:

Almost the case in the UK. Retrospective changes are rare, but an example is rear view mirrors on cars.

But nowadays they are coming up with all sorts of taxes on older vehicles (eg, congestion charges) which are in effect retrospective.

Do you have the ''historic vehicle'' status in the UK? That sure could get around the tax issue. In the Land of Beer, if you own a 30+years old vehicle, you may register it as a ''historic vehicle'', which gives you quite a few beneffits over the standard registration.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 21 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, 40+ years now and rolling. For a long while it was stuck at pre-72 though Rolling Eyes

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:52 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pre 1960 , no mot or tax needed
Pre1976 no tax

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:00 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Do you have the ''historic vehicle'' status in the UK? That sure could get around the tax issue. In the Land of Beer, if you own a 30+years old vehicle, you may register it as a ''historic vehicle'', which gives you quite a few beneffits over the standard registration.

There is a historic vehicle status, and it does avoid the major general taxation. But there was a bit of a battle to get them excluded from the large charge to go into the London ultra low emission zone. And I expect the same battle will take place when other cities see the potential profits of these zones, and I expect plenty to not exempt historic vehicles.

All the best

Katy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 240 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1