Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Helmet size query...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

SkaDad
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:07 - 24 Jul 2017    Post subject: Helmet size query... Reply with quote

Hi folks

So bought my first helmet. Fit really snug and couldnt move my head around.

Trouble is after fitting the pinlock, the visor got stiff and now the whole helmet moves up when I try to open visor. Now a two hand job and have to hold helmet steady. Does this just mean there is a visor / pinlock problem, or more likely I have bought wrong size helmet and it is a little too big..?

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:30 - 24 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly a bit of both.

Sure you've refitted the visor correctly? Is the pinlock catching on anything?

SkaDad
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:41 - 24 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its like the helmet and visor didnt leave a space for the pinlock so now with the pinlock thing in - its like a seal sticking visor to helmet...

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:01 - 24 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where the helmet seals against the top of the visor? Seems plausible, my pinlock has been scraped to buggery against the rubber seal. I don't have a solution, just sympathising.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:33 - 24 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What helmet is it.
Is the pinlock correct for that helmet?

SkaDad
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:15 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an MT Kre Sv, the pinlock came with it so presume correct. Sent company a message - will just leave off for now.

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:01 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rule I was taught is that you should just about be able to get the fingertips of one hand in between your forehead and the helmet liner, above the visor aperture. Even a well fitting helmet will probably move around a bit - it shouldn't just be able to roll off your head though.

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 15:18 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you saying the pin lock part of the visor is catching on the inside of the helmet when you are raising the visor forcing the whole heltmet to move up ?

in which case did you put the pin lock in upside down ?

supZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:24 - 25 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

doesn't the mechanism have any adjustment?

normally there are a few degrees of movement to readjust tension on the visor.

depends on the helmet of course though.
RjMaan This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Confusing). Unhide this post / all posts.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:06 - 21 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RjMaan wrote:
Don't worry most of the helmets are like that. It is designed in a way to have no space between head and its inner walls. You can use the rear view mirrors to look behind.

Two for two!

Both posts of yours that I have read so far have left me thinking WTF. Are you deliberately posting confusing nonsense?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SkaDad
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:54 - 21 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking the same - someone trying to get up their post count in order to access forum functions..? Not sure how this forum works but seen that elsewhere...

As an update - now I am getting out and riding more,I realise (a) there are a sum total of zero times where I need to open the visor one handed when riding, and (b) helmets are designed to be removed off the top of the head so movement that way when pushed is inevitable... While the pinlock does make the helmet excessively stiff - its not the end of the world and the helmet fit is fine.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:49 - 21 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkaDad wrote:
(a) there are a sum total of zero times where I need to open the visor one handed when riding

If by first helmet you mean first motorbike and first time on the roads then in fairness I'd probably want to keep my hands on the bars at all times as well.

I crack mine open at the lights, when it rains (because current helmet pinlock has its limits) and whenever else is needed. It's not as scary as it sounds and one thing I got taught while training for A2 was going round in circles in the yard one handed (right hand of the bars felt abnormally scary). When your stopped use your right hand and when you're on the move use your left (although I have a central opening mechanism and if yours is on the left only, like most, its a bit of a pain).

When you need to crack it open depends what speeds you're going and conditions you're pootling about in. I find rain on sub 30mph roads, or 30mph roads, a pain in the rear because you're not going fast enough to get the air flow (depends on helmet as to how well it deals with it).

RE: Future helmet size testing - make sure you do all the tests to see how loose it is when the helmet is undone (ie: not buckled up) in front of a mirror. Tell bike shop man to sod off if you feel like you're being pressured into buying one. Returning a helmet (like not an exchange for a different size) is a pain in the arse.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 220 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1