Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Safest and Best gear for a beginner?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bubuuh
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:54 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Safest and Best gear for a beginner? Reply with quote

Recently passed my A2 motorcycle license (I'am 22, 6'0, 17stone) and about to buy a motorcycle but a little worried about what gear i should buy. So before buying anything i thought i should ask you guys for some help and insight on what's the best gear out there for all year riding in North Wales.

While i was doing my motorcycle license in a different country where my parents are originally from (cheaper than doing it in UK) i wasn't so worried about the safety and quality of the gear so i bought a cheap Ozone motorcycle helmet, pair of leather Shima gloves and pair of Rebelhorn boots but no pants or jacket yet.. as i knew i would buy that later when i have passed. This is just temporary gear that i have now and obviously can still be used later.. except the helmet.. ill keep that for a pillion passenger as i want a new one for myself.

As for the new gear that I want to buy.. I want something that is safe but at the same time looks good and and can be used throughout the winter. My budget i would say is around 1000£ pounds for now.. but exceeding it wouldn't be a problem. If you guys could give me some help on the brands of the clothing/helmets or just tell me about what gear do you ride in summer and winter would be highly appreciated. Also what brands i should stay away from.. pro's con's..

Thanks Thumbs Up

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:06 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you hit a wall, nothing is 'safe'

alex965
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:16 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of jacket and trousers - I'm sure it's not controversial to say it's a good idea to go for armoured textiles. Is the brand that important? - Others will answer that, but my cheap(ish) textile gear has survived three years of ever day use and is still fine. If it's thick and armoured, I doubt the brand is important tbh.

In terms of a helmet, again - I'm not sure brand is massively important, if it's a full-face helmet that's road legal and has straps good enough to keep it on your head if you take a tumble then it's likely enough.

I'm sure others will come along with more knowledge, but imho there's little point in spending £1000 on safety gear.

Bubuuh
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:26 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

That is also very true.. lol

alex965 wrote:
In terms of jacket and trousers - I'm sure it's not controversial to say it's a good idea to go for armoured textiles. Is the brand that important? - Others will answer that, but my cheap(ish) textile gear has survived three years of ever day use and is still fine. If it's thick and armoured, I doubt the brand is important tbh.

In terms of a helmet, again - I'm not sure brand is massively important, if it's a full-face helmet that's road legal and has straps good enough to keep it on your head if you take a tumble then it's likely enough.

I'm sure others will come along with more knowledge, but imho there's little point in spending £1000 on safety gear.

I am not saying there's anything wrong with cheap(ish) gear.. I will gladly take look at anything that's out there if i like it and it looks good enough for my needs.. Mainly looking for advice on what to look out for and what others would recommend gear wise.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:00 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you want to spend a grand on a jacket and trousers?
If so I'd say anything at that price will be superb in terms of weather protection and maybe longevity but it will do no more to protect you from an impact than Lidl gear.
If you need to look good, get what you think looks good.
The vast majority on here won't have spent anywhere near that much on a jacket and trousers, most spending around half, if that.
J&S do an Alpinestars Andes Drystar jacket for £190 which to me looks and feels great.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:08 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless it is gore-tex, then take any claims to be waterproof with a pinch of salt, regardless of how expensive it is.

Either budget for gore-tex or think about getting some waterproofs to go on top for the Welsh winter. Personally I wear a reasonable quality textile jacket (Furygan) that claims to be waterproof (but isn't in really heavy rain) with an old walking jacket on top in poor weather - the multiple layers work well and keep me warm.

Textiles are probably better for winter, and don't forget waterproof boots. My favourites are alt-berg, but there is plenty of choice. Again, take waterproof claims with a pinch of salt.

Otherwise, as long as what you buy has decent armour and is not ultra-budget you should be fine. It is worth going into shops and trying stuff on - both of my main jackets were chosen because they were the ones that fitted perfectly and I didn't want to take off, whereas others that looked nicer and I thought I'd prefer weren't quite as comfy. You're (hopefully) going to spend more time wearing them than sliding down the road in them, so make sure they fit right!

And, of course, be prepared to change your mind and buy something else when you find that what you bought doesn't quite work right for you.

Bubuuh
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:53 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
Do you want to spend a grand on a jacket and trousers?
If so I'd say anything at that price will be superb in terms of weather protection and maybe longevity but it will do no more to protect you from an impact than Lidl gear.
If you need to look good, get what you think looks good.
The vast majority on here won't have spent anywhere near that much on a jacket and trousers, most spending around half, if that.
J&S do an Alpinestars Andes Drystar jacket for £190 which to me looks and feels great.

I mean, not just jacket and trousers.. i need gloves, helmet, preferably another pair of riding shoes, jacket and trousers... most decent helmets ive seen are around 250-300.. on top of that the rest of the clothing price.. i think a grand is pretty reasonable..

bamt wrote:
Unless it is gore-tex, then take any claims to be waterproof with a pinch of salt, regardless of how expensive it is.

Either budget for gore-tex or think about getting some waterproofs to go on top for the Welsh winter. Personally I wear a reasonable quality textile jacket (Furygan) that claims to be waterproof (but isn't in really heavy rain) with an old walking jacket on top in poor weather - the multiple layers work well and keep me warm.

Textiles are probably better for winter, and don't forget waterproof boots. My favourites are alt-berg, but there is plenty of choice. Again, take waterproof claims with a pinch of salt.

Otherwise, as long as what you buy has decent armour and is not ultra-budget you should be fine. It is worth going into shops and trying stuff on - both of my main jackets were chosen because they were the ones that fitted perfectly and I didn't want to take off, whereas others that looked nicer and I thought I'd prefer weren't quite as comfy. You're (hopefully) going to spend more time wearing them than sliding down the road in them, so make sure they fit right!

And, of course, be prepared to change your mind and buy something else when you find that what you bought doesn't quite work right for you.

Thanks for the info, i read about the gore-tex.. most said its very good for waterproof.. My current boots are waterproof but haven't really tested them out yet in rain.. every time i was riding it was sunny.. will look out for stuff.. Thanks

Mark_UK
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:45 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my limited experience (riding for about 5 months), I would say avoid any of the Frank Thomas stuff. I bought The textile FT Glasgow £140 jacket and £100 trousers about 3 months ago.
The jacket is advertised as waterproof, but is far from it. The zip that connects to the trousers has ripped off, and the inside pocket stitching has come away under normal use.
The trousers have split, and some seams are beginning to come apart.

I can thoroughly recommend the Prexport Passo boots though . These are proper waterproof, and so comfy that I don't usually take them off when I get home. Comfier than most trainers I have owned. I haven't had a spill yet so I don't know about protection, but they are very sturdy. https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/206486
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:22 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

https://33.media.tumblr.com/78a3538c7b66bcbd7c361df60a154134/tumblr_mm51q0kmu41s2lwbwo4_250.gif

Oneear
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:32 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
most decent helmets ive seen are around 250-300..

Decent helmet? As in safe?

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/ is your friend. Then try them on. Expensive does not mean best.

Bubuuh
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:54 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oneear wrote:
Quote:

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/ is your friend. Then try them on. Expensive does not mean best.

Thanks for the website, very neat.. The helmets i was initially looking at was AGV, Shark and Shoei

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:31 - 21 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark_UK wrote:
From my limited experience (riding for about 5 months), I would say avoid any of the Frank Thomas stuff.
The jacket is advertised as waterproof, but is far from it. The zip that connects to the trousers has ripped off, and the inside pocket stitching has come away under normal use.
The trousers have split, and some seams are beginning to come apart.

Shame, FT stuff used to be good. I've given my textile suit away now but when I had it, it must have been 10 years old and was still warm and dry.

defblade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:58 - 21 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to be riding in the rain regularly, gore-tex, full stop.

After the head (so get a well fitting helmet that has good ventilation - again, important in the rain) the feet/ankles/shins are the next most frequency damaged part in a crash, so get some decent boots. Next up is hands, so don't skimp on gloves, either. Look for gore-tex boots and gloves, too!

Then consider your jacket and trousers. Buying booth from the same maker will usually mean they can easily be zipped together, but if you don't, some will come with the "other half" of the zip they need and you can sew it onto the other item of clothing. The zips on textiles are really more a comfort thing than definitely stopping the jacket sliding up in a crash although it should help; full zips on leathers are much stronger.

Bonded gore-tex, where the outer layer of the item is the waterproof layer is much nicer than a waterproof lining IMO as the outer layer on a textile-with-WP-lining can get seriously wet and 'orrible even if your clothes don't, and it will still be wet and damp all through at home time, too Sad
Having said that, I have a bonded jacket and lined trousers - I don't find the legs get such a hard time of it.

I have always been a careful shopper - none of my gear was full price, mostly stuff that's just been discontinued or superseded at about half price... don't be a fashion victim! Wink

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:05 - 21 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I wouldn't both with waterproof boots, waterproof socks have been working perfectly for a year or so now.

Would highly recommend anything with Gore-Tex. Had my Hein Gericke gear for around 10years now and the jacket is still completely waterproof. The trousers which are not Gore-Tex, leak slightly in the around the genital area.

I've been thoroughly impressed with my Schuberth helmet. The quietist helmet I've ever had, and seems to be best for not getting buffeted around with the wind.

155mph
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:16 - 21 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Safest and Best gear for a beginner? Reply with quote

Bubuuh wrote:
My budget i would say is around 1000£ pounds for now.. but exceeding it wouldn't be a problem.
Schuberth C3 Basic helmet £300
RST Blade textile jacket and jeans £228
Alpinestar Gore-tex gloves £142 (Knox Orsa for summer if you must £60)
RST Tractech boots £115 (RST summer boot if you must £60)

Quite easily done. I'd spend the most on my head and work my way down. Sportsbikeshop is your friend.

SkaDad
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:59 - 21 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been through this myself as a newbie and my learning is first try stuff on together - my gloves and jacket are a pain. Dont fit comfortably with jacket either over or under gloves. Secondly, simplicity is king for me. Some of the jackets had so many zips poppers and buckles, that I knew it would lead me to either avoiding wearing them or avoid biking.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:57 - 21 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you intend to ever go on the track you might want to get some 2 piece leathers. you can wear the jacket when not hooningg it and then the full power ranger when tracking it

RedPanda
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:46 - 21 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above, waterproof doesn't usually mean that. However, if you also buy a thin rain jacket & trousers that'll keep the rain out when it's heavy. Spend lots on warm, waterproof gloves as it'll get f'n freezing in winter.

Also, buy neutral colours so when you want a new bike you don't have to buy a new wardrobe too. When I got my 125 I bought lots of red Alpinestars gear and it all ended up on eBay 9 months later.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:56 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedPanda wrote:

Also, buy neutral colours so when you want a new bike you don't have to buy a new wardrobe too.

pink is neutral no? Very Happy

turningCircle
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:27 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore the "look at how cool I am" brigade and buy a fluorescent vest. Good, white helmet and strong armoured gloves.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:59 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

turningCircle wrote:
Ignore the "look at how cool I am" brigade and buy a fluorescent vest. Good, white helmet and strong armoured gloves.

On the other hand, you don't want to look like a knob.
Unless you do.
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:04 - 24 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't split your budget. Helmet fit beats name on it. (Sharp site will surprise you.) Most jackets have reflective bits on them. Make sure gloves work with jacket. The best armoured gloves may not fit under or over the cuff. Textile trousers dont breathe, but, will work most of the year. Kevlar jeans are great if it's dry. Leathers (jackets and trousers) are very warm most of the year and cold in winter.
Boots, fit again, make sure they're wide enough.

Sorry to 'tef' you on this, i learnt the hard way about 'brands'.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:15 - 24 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Bubuuh wrote:
Oneear wrote:

Thanks for the website, very neat.. The helmets i was initially looking at was AGV, Shark and Shoei

The most decent helmet is the one which fits you the best. Whatever ratings a lid has got on sharp.dft.gov.uk don't mean anything if it doesn't fit you well.

Go to a shop and try lots of lids on (somewhere in the region of all of them Laughing) then buy the one which fits you the best. Pay no attention to the brand names or what colours the shop have got in stock.
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 236 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2