Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Completely New to Biking and Just Need Advice... (F/18/UK)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:23 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:
Freddyfruitbat wrote:

I love riding my bike more than doing anything else with my clothes on, but TBH if one of my kids (of which I have three in their 20s) decided they wanted to take up biking I'd be pretty unstoked myself. I've never discouraged them from doing it, but never encouraged them either; though they certainly know how much I get out of it it. Dunno what that makes me - hypocrite? parent?!

My wife asked me what I'd do if our daughter wants a bike in the future (she's currently 3)

My answer was take her out on the back if I hadn't already

show some near miss vids and discuss the risks

get her CBT done and then her A1 tests so she's had the extra training, I can't stop her getting a bike but I can try and ensure she knows how to deal with situations on the road.

Also push them down the stairs to simulate an accident Smile

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:34 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Also push them down the stairs to simulate an accident Smile

She'll have fallen off mountain bikes often enough by then...

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:06 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How safe is the uni. Are you intending to go further and pass tests to ride a big bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:50 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd imagine that the bike will be safest when parked on university campus grounds, but if OP is going to use a bike to get to work or Park it in towns or city centres that's going to be the least safe place it'll be left.

I'd personally only buy a cheap newish chinqy 125 for such use, if it was a safe bike and relatively reliable, as having something that's worth a few £££ is probably considered disposable to most people should the worst happen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:12 - 18 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I'd imagine that the bike will be safest when parked on university campus grounds, but if OP is going to use a bike to get to work or Park it in towns or city centres that's going to be the least safe place it'll be left.

I'd personally only buy a cheap newish chinqy 125 for such use, if it was a safe bike and relatively reliable, as having something that's worth a few £££ is probably considered disposable to most people should the worst happen.

A friend of mine was working at a college,

she had to watch on the security monitor in reception as a couple of blokes lifted her 125, carried it 200m down the path and out of the gate and into a van, despite there being security on site...

InkedMuttley
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 04:51 - 24 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not long done this myself I'm quite a bit older but wasn't confident, I did my CBT with a local training school and then paid a bit extra a couple of weeks down the line for what they called a "gear conversion" no they will not put gears in your moped. They do however teach you in a safe environment the main parts of riding a geared bike.

I paid for a 2 hour session and within 20 minutes I'd already gained the confidence to start increasing speed a bit, go through the gearbox etc. I'm getting my confidence level up a bit and taking DAS, once you get out on an actual bike rather than a 'ped you'll fall in love with it.

Have fun, good luck, but most of all stay safe. Metal and plastic can be replaced.

A good thing I was told to remember "Don't let your bike take you somewhere that your brain wasn't 5 seconds before"

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:09 - 24 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I parked my bike in the back garden of my student digs in Leeds. Not the nicest of areas, not the worst. Didn't get nicked. It looked nice then too because I wasn't commuting.

To cover it, I used some washing line between two drainpipes and draped a big tarp over that. Then cable tied the tarp around the bottom of the bike, it was like a tent but crap. May or may not have had a rubbish 30 quid chain through the front wheel around the metal drainpipe.

When I parked at uni, I just dumped it in a bicycle rack. Never got touched, either of them. Surprisingly, nobody decided to walk away with the CG.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 218 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3