BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Chadste
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:26 - 24 Aug 2017    Post subject: New Member Reply with quote

Hi,

Just joined the forum and thought I would ask for advice regarding what first bike to have following my DAS pass.

So, I am 28 years old, 6ft 3 tall and around 16.5 stone. Im looking to use the bike for fun rides and the occasional commute to work (50 mile round trip with selection of country lanes, motorway and city riding) plus the occasional trip to the seaside with my wife.

I have always wanted a sports bike however upon passing my test and sitting on a few I feel like a huge person on a mini moto 😂 Plus the insurance for me seems extortionate with most sports bikes circa £1500.

I learned on a Kawasaki ER6N and quite enjoyed riding that.

The main bikes I am considering at the minute are:

Kawasaki ER6F
Kawasaki Z1000SX
Suzuki GSX650F

From looking £4000 should get me a decent ER6F or GSX650F but would have to part with a little more for the Z?

I'm interested in your thoughts on the above bikes or any others that I may not have considered?

Thanks

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:31 - 24 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome Smile

Congrats on DAS pass, welcome to the world of biking.

Have you looked into a pre loved Street Triple! Could get a nice round light Striple for that money!

Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Chadste
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:53 - 24 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.

I did consider the Street/Speed triple but felt I'd get a newer / lower mileage bike with the other options as the Triumphs seem
To hold value well!

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:07 - 24 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know a great deal, but a BMW F800ST might be worth a look. It's got good looks (subjective), fairly frugal running costs and should be fairly comfy for two-up.

Someone will probably suggest otherwise. If they do, they're probably right. If I had such a budget, I'd probably be in a position to find out.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:17 - 24 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fireblade and show your tits. Thumbs Up

Welcome.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:36 - 24 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Striple is a lovely bike, but not for a pillion.

The problem you have is what you are comfortable with now, you might be bored with in the not to distant future. I used to change bikes like my socks just for the fun of it.

Have you got some dealerships you can go to and sit on bikes. do it with your missus so she feels part of the choosing. It will give you brownie points and when she moans the seat isn't comfortable, you hjave a ready answer, you chose it. Wink

If you are doing lot of 2 up stuff. I would be looking at an adventure bike. Plenty to chose from for all budgets and not really a bad one around. There are a myriad of luggage options for when the wife brings the kitchen sink for them all.

Chadste
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 05:25 - 25 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Striple is a lovely bike, but not for a pillion.

The problem you have is what you are comfortable with now, you might be bored with in the not to distant future. I used to change bikes like my socks just for the fun of it.

Have you got some dealerships you can go to and sit on bikes. do it with your missus so she feels part of the choosing. It will give you brownie points and when she moans the seat isn't comfortable, you hjave a ready answer, you chose it. Wink

If you are doing lot of 2 up stuff. I would be looking at an adventure bike. Plenty to chose from for all budgets and not really a bad one around. There are a myriad of luggage options for when the wife brings the kitchen sink for them all.

Good morning! We have been to our local dealers to narrow down the list. I wouldn't say it will be used regularly to carry a passenger but would just like that option to be there. All of the above bikes seemed pretty good.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:45 - 25 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTM 1290 looks ok for your height.

https://cycle-ergo.com/Riding/04wi1222JcRjJUyUyUyUyUy0n.png

RC8

https://cycle-ergo.com/Riding/04wi0143JcRjJUyUyUyUyUy0n.png

https://cycle-ergo.com/

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:01 - 25 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'll receive hate for this, but whatever you end up with consider luggage options - especially a top box on a fairly sturdy rack. Apart from giving you somewhere to stash stuff on your way to work or somewhere to put your helmets at the seaside, it'll probably make your wife more comfy on the back knowing that she's not going to slide off if you accelerate quickly (fairly unlikely, but it's a confidence thing knowing there is something to stop that happening).

If the bike you get doesn't come with one already, they can be surprisingly expensive to add for some models - especially if they need a big bracket to put the box on.

I'd probably second the idea of an adventure bike (Tiger, one of the smaller GSes, V-Strom or Wee-Strom etc.) as a general purpose two-up machine that will do everything reasonably well, give you a good position for commuting and be able to carry the pair of you in comfort.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:34 - 25 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahoy, and good news: you're looking at the right bikes. Polarbear is right that you'll likely want to chop and change for a while, but you won't have problems selling any of your choices - just don't expect to recoup anything like a dealer asking price in a private sale.

'Adventure' bikes are also a decent shout, they're the new do-anything machines. V-Strom 650 is the default no-surprises machine, but you aren't going to go far wrong with anything 600+ made in the last decade.

However, since you like fairings and are already thinking Suzuki, one to consider is the GSX1200F. It's pretty much the definition of "a lot of bike for the money". Don't be put off by the engine size, it's low tuned and will only go as fast as you want.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:35 - 25 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GSX1200/1250F is a good shout but if you go for one of these get a full luggage version, they didn't all come fitted and as said before, hard luggage costs an arm and a leg.

You can always take it off and leave it in the house. Thumbs Up

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:25 - 25 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

However, since you like fairings and are already thinking Suzuki, one to consider is the GSX1200F. It's pretty much the definition of "a lot of bike for the money". Don't be put off by the engine size, it's low tuned and will only go as fast as you want.

Sprint 1050 as well - I have to say, I wouldn't advocate one usually, but it's a sportsbike like position, with the benefit of actually being roomy enough. And it is extremely comfortable for pillions. And it has (crap but still) luggage.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Chadste
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:50 - 25 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all your great advice. Going to look at a GSXF650 tonight. Is there anything in particular I should be looking for. Never bought private before.
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:20 - 25 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the collector on the exhaust where the 4 pipes run into 1.

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

Put the reg in here as though you were going to sell it (then pick a body style and such)

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bikes/sell-my-bike

Then look on the right of the screen, where it will show whether the bike has been recorded as written off.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 242 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1