Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cbr6 spat a plug

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:38 - 25 Aug 2017    Post subject: Cbr6 spat a plug Reply with quote

Plug popped out on monday, took half hour of burning my hands and swearing to sort but screwed back in ok. Is it likely that the thread could be damaged either before or by the action of plug being spat out?

87k miles, they were changed 25k miles ago so were due for inspection. Other plugs were fine.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:43 - 25 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't be likely to unscrew if it had been put in properly.
If the problem was cross threading numptiness there will be some damage but there might be enough good thread further in.
If it simply wasn't itghtened enough probably better chance of being Ok.
So, it depends.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:45 - 26 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

they were changed 25k miles ago so were due for inspection. Other plugs were fine.
Strange but i suspect this plug/cylinder is running too hot causing more expansion and contraction.
I would check all plugs for colour after a while .

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:20 - 26 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:
they were changed 25k miles ago so were due for inspection. Other plugs were fine.
Strange but i suspect this plug/cylinder is running too hot causing more expansion and contraction.

https://s2.quickmeme.com/img/d5/d52f9ca95731da7aab0b7c704df9154b32d08d4f6d87b25a848ed2df9386451e.jpg

If it went back in and tightened normally, then it was probably just loose to start with.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:49 - 26 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does someone not tighten a sparkplug?

You screw it in by hand, pick up the ratchet/torque wrench and do it up!!?? Confused

Or is here some modern way of tightening that has passed me by.

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:58 - 26 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

You screw it in by hand, pick up the ratchet/torque wrench and do it up!!?? Confused

didnt that happen to smiler?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:15 - 26 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrippleTron wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

didnt that happen to smiler?

No, it was jizzbunny.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:25 - 26 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

In a Biblical sense there are a few methods to correctly tighten a plug.

e.g. New plugs and used plugs have a different method.

Plug manufacturers will provide detail.

I use this outfit for easy info.

https://www.gsparkplug.com/

And here:

https://www.ngk.com/learning-center/article/421/plug-torque-settings

I think mainly this advice helps prevent thick cnuts from stripping threads in the head. Smile

Give a man a lever.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:00 - 26 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
jaffa90 wrote:

https://s2.quickmeme.com/img/d5/d52f9ca95731da7aab0b7c704df9154b32d08d4f6d87b25a848ed2df9386451e.jpg

If it went back in and tightened normally, then it was probably just loose to start with.

Loose for 25k?
Marvellous.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 26 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:

Loose for 25k?
Marvellous.

It's a lot more of a rational explanation than your bizarre hot cylinder expansion/contraction one. You might want to google Occam's razor. Laughing

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:23 - 27 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no cross threading. When replaced, the old ones were not tight, easy removed. I usually tighten them hand tight plus half a turn as recommended. I will check them more often.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:46 - 27 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
There is no cross threading. When replaced, the old ones were not tight, easy removed. I usually tighten them hand tight plus half a turn as recommended. I will check them more often.

'As recommended' by who?

"Without a Torque Wrench:

If a torque wrench is unavailable, finger tighten the spark plug, then use a plug wrench to tighten.

Autolite -For spark plugs with a Gasket: 1/4 turn on 10mm plugs, 3/8 turn on 12mm plugs, 1/2 turn on 14mm and 18mm plugs. 1/16 turn on plugs with a tapered seat.

Bosch - 1/4 turn on plugs with a Gasket. 1/16 turn on plugs with a tapered seat.

Champion - 3/8-5/8 turn on plugs with a Gasket. 1/16 turn on plugs with a tapered seat.

Denso - 1/4-1/2 turn on plugs with a Gasket. 1/8 turn on plugs with a tapered seat.

E3 - For spark plugs with a Gasket: 1/2 turn on 10mm plugs, 3/8-1/2 turn on 12mm plugs, 1/2-3/4 turn on 14mm plugs. 1/16 turn on plugs with a tapered seat.

NGK -1/2-2/3 turn on plugs with a Gasket. 1/12-1/8 turn on plugs with a tapered seat.

PLEASE NOTE:

Torque recommendations are for spark plugs with new gaskets.
If using anti-seize compound, use sparingly and reduce torque by 30%.
Each spark plug manufacturer has created their recommendations based on the general consensus of most engine manufactures. In the case of a discrepancy between the plug manufacturer and engine manufacturers recommendations, always default to the engine manufacturer."

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 27 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your mum.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:17 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
Your mum.

I know that's a lie. It is either that or you are well-into necrophilia.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:39 - 24 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

She popped out again, same plug. I done it up tight as I dare but suspect the thread is fucked I could only feel two turns of engagement. Could run a tap down it..

Can plug threads be helicoiled in situ? Does head need to come off?

Thanks

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:47 - 24 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can Helicoil with the head on , bring the piston to the top, to just before tdc.
put some grease down the hole to fill the void/combustion chamber, this will catch the swarf.
cut the insert thread, bring the piston to tdc this will force the swarf laden grease out of the plug hole, degrease the area , fit the new insert in.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:53 - 24 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
She popped out again, same plug. I done it up tight as I dare but suspect the thread is fucked I could only feel two turns of engagement. Could run a tap down it..

Thanks

You sure it's the thread in the head rather than on the spark plug? And I know it's been 25k miles, but it's definitely the right size spark plug? A slightly smaller one might be more likely to pop out.
Be unlikely, but helpful if you could avoid having to helicoil.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:57 - 24 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Here's one way:

When you un-screw a plug the crap that's collected in the well falls down on to the seat. When you screw in a new plug that crap gets trapped under the gasket giving the impression that the plug is properly tight and over time could rattle out and let the plug come loose.

Either that or it wasn't tightened.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:59 - 24 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:

Thanks

Piece of cake. What plug does it use? If it's a C then I have the kit to do it.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:48 - 06 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My roadside bodge did not last and I was waiting hour and a half for RAC to collect the bike. I think the thread is now stripped and will need the helicoil. I have a bore inspection camera, will have a peak at the damage later.

Pete. wrote:
Piece of cake. What plug does it use? If it's a C then I have the kit to do it.

It is a C. I assume you are too far from West Sussex if I were able to get a van to move bike? Thanks.

Is it so easy with the thread 60mm below the rocker cover and very limited space above? Just about room for my hand and nothing else. I am unsure about doing this myself.

Is this something the average bike garage will be able to fix?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:52 - 06 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do it. I sent the stuff to someone here with no mechanical aptitude and he had it done inside of half an hour.

I'll be in East Sussex all next week, otherwise send me your address and I'll post you the stuff you need.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:55 - 07 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7WduGDdM3E

Lots of shit down there Laughing Looks like one turn of thread left, probably longer than the plug thread so not used.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:19 - 07 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well exactly. anyone who has half torn out a plug thread has already dumped a load of bits in their engine but they wouldn't think twice about putting the plug in and trying again but cutting a new thread is oh noes think of the kittens.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:01 - 07 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't bother fixing it, there's thousands of Triumphs riding about on three cylinders.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 112 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3