Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Anyone had experience of Bells Palsy?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:35 - 22 Dec 2006    Post subject: Anyone had experience of Bells Palsy? Reply with quote

After discovering that he could no longer whistle, needing to drink guinness through a straw and not being able to close an eye properly my OH has been diagnosed with Bells Palsy today.

I knew a bit about what it was and what it does anyway, and there is loads of information on the 'net, but I'd really like to hear some personal experiences about how long it took to clear up, what meds were given, how bad the symptoms were etc.

Anyone?

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 23:49 - 22 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't give you a massive amount of detail but my neice's father had a bout of Bells Palsy and lost movement in one side of his face. Initially the symptoms were pretty severe, he really struggled to open his right eye and his speech was impaired. He suffered for about 3-4 weeks as his muscle control gradually improved, he is now fully recovered and there is nothing visually obvious that he has ever had a problem.

I'm unsure if he had any medication or just had exercises... I will have an ask if I get an opportunity Thumbs Up

I hope Himself is enjoying guiness through a straw (sounds awful personally, which is why I'm sending lots of sympathy and hoping he makes a good recovery)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

vixen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:18 - 23 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my close friends had it. She was back to normal after about 3 weeks. Thumbs Up Karma

Hope you get better soon.

queen of string
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:14 - 23 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

(hugs) to mr yams, I think its often pretty short lived, but must be hard work as its your face so everyone can see Sad. Hope its better soon, I'm sure the guiness is helping.

Hooky
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:57 - 23 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now then Yams I dont want to scare you because every person is different.

I had BP when I was 14-15, I got it after a nasty bout of Chicken Pox.

I have never looked on the net to look at the in & and outs about BP as it doesnt bother me after all these years.

I never regained full nerve contol back to the left of my face (went deaf in my ear as well Rolling Eyes ) My eye-lid does not work properly so it "winks and flutters" (usually at the wrong time, ie chatting to totty Laughing ).

Chris Walker had it last year, he still has not fully recovered from it (he has a slant and a dodgey eye-lid ) I hope it will get better for him.

I have heard it CAN get nasty in some cases (very rarely) so get docs if it gets worse (bloody quick ok !)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nrml76
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:03 - 23 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most cases get better. Very occassionally, some people are left with some degree of residual paralysis. Some doctors prescribe a course of steroids, but there is little evidence to prove that they make any difference. Physiotherapy helps in preventing disuse atrophy, but does not hasten recovery. Artificial tears are helpful if eye closure is affected. Chewing food and excessive drooling can be a problem. Most people quickly adapt to chewing on one side. A ready supply of handkerchiefs or tissues will more often than not be needed to deal with the drooling. It does pass off in a few weeks. Hope this helps.

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:09 - 23 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annabella wrote:
unsure if he had any medication or just had exercises... I will have an ask if I get an opportunity Thumbs Up

No pills (apart from anti inflamatories or steroids for swelling), just exercises and hope that the nerve damage is not too severe and does nt inhibit speech, eating, facial expressions etc too much.

With loss of blinking, the eye needs to be moistened and cleaned in order to prevent irritation and the worst complication?secondary infection of the eyeball's surface.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 10 years, 52 days between these two posts...

WULFSTAN
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:15 - 11 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got bells about 2 weeks ago did your husband recover?
Your backside is better enough for you to run again, if need be – bristle up the courage of the cornered rat, put on a bold front, and to hell with them. Bluff my boy – bluff, shift and lie for the sake of your neck and the honour of Old England
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:29 - 11 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're near Grantham, ask Chris Walker. IIRC he's back to normal pretty much now.

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:48 - 11 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having met Mr Yambabe, I can confirm that he is not lop-sided in the face department even after a large quantity of Srawberry Lambrini which is what he was drinking at the time we met.

However he did tell me that he'd never drunk Strawberry Lambrini before the Bells Palsy, so, you have been warned.

The second paragraph is not true. GWS Mr. Green

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:04 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mate got it, totally out of the blue. He has since recovered. He is a "pot mong" though so he might still have it but cant really tell

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:32 - 14 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracey Suntan-King wrote:
However he did tell me that he'd never drunk Strawberry Lambrini before the Bells Palsy, so, you have been warned.

These are the sort of side-effects the Medical Profession never warns you about.

Maybe the Lambrini caused it then?
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 194 days between these two posts...

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:11 - 27 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad I don't have to resurrect an 11 year old thread...

This morning I woke up at 5am and felt like I had something stuck under my eyelid, but thought nothing of it and jumped in for a shower. I got in to work around 6:30 and by 7:30 the right hand side of my face was almost completely numb, I could barely close my eye and had minimal movement on the right side of my face. By 8am I called NHS24 for advice and they called me back at 10am and said I had to go see the out of hours doctor at a local hospital

After explaining what had been happening over the last day or so (strange taste in mouth, numb tongue, couldn't seem to open my mouth wide enough to eat, couldn't chew properly etc), the doctor done a few tests and ruled out a mini stroke and told me it was bell's palsy and put me on steroids for the next 10 days.

Anyway, I've been rubbing the numb parts all day, which seems to have helped a bit... I've got a little more movement back, but still nowhere near normal.... so the main questions are:

What's the shortest time this can last for? (Currently around 14 hours)
Even if there is slight improvements, can it suddenly get worse again?
If it gets worse again, can my employer force me to take time off as I'm front of house staff?

Chuffin Nora
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:12 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mudcow007 wrote:
My mate got it, totally out of the blue. He has since recovered. He is a "pot mong" though so he might still have it but cant really tell

Thinking mmMMmmmm . . .

Your mate collects Mong Dynasty pots, eh? Thumbs Up

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:48 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andym wrote:
Glad I don't have to resurrect an 11 year old thread...

This morning I woke up at 5am and felt like I had something stuck under my eyelid, but thought nothing of it and jumped in for a shower. I got in to work around 6:30 and by 7:30 the right hand side of my face was almost completely numb, I could barely close my eye and had minimal movement on the right side of my face. By 8am I called NHS24 for advice and they called me back at 10am and said I had to go see the out of hours doctor at a local hospital

After explaining what had been happening over the last day or so (strange taste in mouth, numb tongue, couldn't seem to open my mouth wide enough to eat, couldn't chew properly etc), the doctor done a few tests and ruled out a mini stroke and told me it was bell's palsy and put me on steroids for the next 10 days.

Anyway, I've been rubbing the numb parts all day, which seems to have helped a bit... I've got a little more movement back, but still nowhere near normal.... so the main questions are:

What's the shortest time this can last for? (Currently around 14 hours)
Even if there is slight improvements, can it suddenly get worse again?
If it gets worse again, can my employer force me to take time off as I'm front of house staff?

You are The Stalker and I claim my £5.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 214 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1