Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Dinged my CBR600F at Cadwell

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

TCFA
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:37 - 27 Aug 2017    Post subject: Dinged my CBR600F at Cadwell Reply with quote

Well a bit more than dinged, but a bit less than smashed

In a slightly embarrassing accident I ran off at the chicane, lost control on the grass and got intimate with the tyre wall. No injury, but smashed my screen, sheered off the crash bobbin (which left an R&G sized hole in the fairing) and smashed a number of fairing brackets on the LHS and nose. Mechanically tickety boo.

As I have another mount and haven't ridden the CBR in months, I'd been thinking about having a bike either only or mainly for track, and doing more track days (subject to the best laid plans etc etc)

It being an expensive venture to convert a road bike into a track bike I had considered selling the CBR and getting a GSXR750 or Fireblade (for road and track) as I've had always a hankering, or finding a ready made track bike. Lots of options.

Options are narrowed now! Do I replace fairings with road fairings and sell (potentially uneconomical for a 2002/2003 F4i) or just stick track fairings on and go down the rabbit hole? I like the idea of a track bike but then there's cost of van hire / trailer etc to budget in every year.

Has anyone gone through a similar process?

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:43 - 27 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photographic images.... Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TCFA
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:25 - 27 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

photos

https://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w502/TCFA1/IMG_3773_zpshctw0xf0.jpg

https://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w502/TCFA1/IMG_3774_zps1f9fvpo7.jpg

https://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w502/TCFA1/IMG_3779_zpsgs4nkddx.jpg

https://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w502/TCFA1/IMG_3781_zpsvywlfvqy.jpg

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:45 - 27 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much as is? I could be in the market for a track bike.

supZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:38 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Dinged my CBR600F at Cadwell Reply with quote

TCFA wrote:

It being an expensive venture to convert a road bike into a track bike

It is? who said?

Coincidentally I pranged my CBR600 at cadwell many years ago. Rebuilt it over the winter and was back on it as a dedicated track bike the following summer. Cost me less than £500.

this
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2512/3760822421_818347055a_b.jpg

to this
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3365/5822650784_919bc03da5_b.jpg

Ended up using it for over 3 years then sold it for what I paid for the road version originally. (Yes it included wets and a few spares etc.. but still.)

If you're interested in trackdays a dedicated bike is always the better option. Rebuild this or buy a new one it's up to you. Rebuilding will teach you a lot about the bike and is always my preferred option.

TCFA
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:20 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garth - feel free to PM to discuss and I can factor that into my decision

supZ - where did you source the track plastics? I'm interested in the conversion but I'd been told it was an uneconomical route. I suppose like all things it depends how far I take it.

Incidentally, what's your track transport solution? Do you own a van or trailer? Or hire a van each time?

supZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:08 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TCFA wrote:
supZ - where did you source the track plastics? I'm interested in the conversion but I'd been told it was an uneconomical route. I suppose like all things it depends how far I take it.

Incidentally, what's your track transport solution? Do you own a van or trailer? Or hire a van each time?

I found some fibreglass offerings on ebay. had to mount my own brackets and find some thick foam to put under the seat for support but it worked out fine.

cost me £200 for a 3 piece i think.

e.g. to suit yours i think https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-CBR-600-FX-99-01-RACE-FAIRINGS-SEAT-UNIT-/322624429182?hash=item4b1dea1c7e:g:oC0AAMXQHU1RqjJJ

(I'm not saying buy from these guys, but that's basically the kit I got. lots of people doing similar ones.)

being slightly newer than my 97 model it might cost a little more sourcing brackets, rear sets etc.. but perfectly doable. i had to buy new clipons, clocks, and a whole host of other bits and pieces.

I had a 1 bike trailer for about 3 years which did me fine. Used to nab my mums 1.4 corsa and use that as my car didn't have a tow rating (CTR). Worked fine. After that I bought a LWB connect van and did that up as a race van. insulated walls, mounting points for the bike etc.. actually swapped my old trackbike above plus some cash to buy the van in the first place. heh.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 213 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1