Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Any electrical bods here?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:16 - 27 Aug 2017    Post subject: Any electrical bods here? Reply with quote

How does this "contact sequence" work?

https://i.imgur.com/bo2a10d.png

It is a 3 position switch. I want to use it to switch between power sources for single phase 240v power.

It has 8 terminals. 2 and 4 are linked, as are 6 and 8.

I thought I would put power source 1 into 1+3 and power source 2 into 5+7 with 2 and 6 being the common output but that doesn't work.

I think I am just being a n00b at working out what is going on as I tested it with a multimeter and it made sense but when I went to connect it all up it didn't work and now I am away from it for the next few days, I want to figure it out before I return.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:56 - 27 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red to Red
Green to Green
Then Blue to Fuck.

Sorry, this is not the help you are looking for. Embarassed

Radiotwo
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:25 - 27 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Any electrical bods here? Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:
How does this "contact sequence" work?

https://i.imgur.com/bo2a10d.png

It is a 3 position switch. I want to use it to switch between power sources for single phase 240v power.

It has 8 terminals. 2 and 4 are linked, as are 6 and 8.

I thought I would put power source 1 into 1+3 and power source 2 into 5+7 with 2 and 6 being the common output but that doesn't work.

I think I am just being a n00b at working out what is going on as I tested it with a multimeter and it made sense but when I went to connect it all up it didn't work and now I am away from it for the next few days, I want to figure it out before I return.

Cannot understand why you have 8 pins as you only need two for a simple switch !
Have you got a picture of the switch?

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:40 - 27 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 pole.

Switching between 240V AC.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Radiotwo
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:46 - 27 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:
2 pole.

Switching between 240V AC.

Not a very helpful reply !
If you want help you need to give more info

ZebraDriver
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:40 - 27 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

In position "0" everything is open.

In Position "1" terminals 1+2 are closed as are 5 + 6. Terminals 3 +4 are open as are 7 + 8

In position "2" terminals 3+4 are closed as are 7 + 8. Terminals 1 +2 are open as are 5 + 6

Judging by the links it is probably intended to be a 2 pole reversing switch.

ZD

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:38 - 27 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZebraDriver wrote:
In position "0" everything is open.

In Position "1" terminals 1+2 are closed as are 5 + 6. Terminals 3 +4 are open as are 7 + 8

In position "2" terminals 3+4 are closed as are 7 + 8. Terminals 1 +2 are open as are 5 + 6

Judging by the links it is probably intended to be a 2 pole reversing switch.

ZD

OK so the X's are just closed contacts. Makes sense now!

So with the links, my set up should be:

Load into terminals 2 and 6
Power source 1 into 1 and 5
Power source 2 into 3 and 7

Twisting my melon!

robs321
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 06:48 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most electrical wholesalers sell change over switches for emergency generator supplies etc!
No messing about with links!

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Distribution_and_Switchgear_Index/Change_Over_Switches/index.html?ad_position=1t2&source=adwords&ad_id=200251192953&placement=&kw=changeover%20switches&network=g&matchtype=b&ad_type=&product_id=&product_partition_id=&test=finalurl_v2&gclid=Cj0KCQjw_o7NBRDgARIsAKvAgt0UwwsXpzc63iSwMQ-A6rDCvu3HaxHDa5aIUepoRqyC2N4D8-n7m2EaAmS6EALw_wcB

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:53 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or use a contactor, so it automatically drops on to one source if there is a failure of the other.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 213 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1