trying not to upset MIL... childcare woes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:55 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
Why would they phone you to ask for an ambulance when they could just phone one themselves?

I'd post it on here for them to get expert advice.

ride_to_die
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:34 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Then ignore said expert advice?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:22 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ride_to_die wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Then ignore said expert advice?

Well, obviously my service would cover filtering out the noise.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:37 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
Are you in Asda, get me a.....

n ambulance for my grandchild who is having febrile convulsions.

And 50kg of cotton wool so that I can wrap the child and protect it from life...

Really, people have managed for millennia, why complicate things and invent ZOMGWTFDWAMA scenarios? Rolling Eyes

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:53 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm all for other people putting their children at risk. More for mine.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:57 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

And 50kg of cotton wool so that I can wrap the child and protect it from life...

Really, people have managed for millennia, why complicate things and invent ZOMGWTFDWAMA scenarios? Rolling Eyes

Yeah they have managed for millennia.

But that does mean you don't do things that make life better / safer and just because we 'managed before.' Should something less than ideal happen, to either of them, There is a much much higher emergency survival rate these days due to people being able to call for and have access to emergency treatment quicker due to having a mobile, rather than hoping someone sees your smoke signal.

Im not saying the in-law should have a phone due to her age, or her ability to look after said sprog, but it makes no sense to make life harder if one has a phone but actually take it out of ones bad when going out, just because.

Same goes for glass ketchup bottles. Put it down, squeezes are easier.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:45 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should cut the seatbelts out of cars to toughen the spoiled little brats up, etc.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:53 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
We should cut the seatbelts out of cars to toughen the spoiled little brats up, etc.

Bloody Snowflakes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:01 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm all for other people putting their children at risk. More for mine.

That's progenist, that is. Razz

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:04 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:
Islander wrote:

Yeah they have managed for millennia.

But that does mean you don't do things that make life better / safer and just because we 'managed before.' Should something less than ideal happen, to either of them, There is a much much higher emergency survival rate these days due to people being able to call for and have access to emergency treatment quicker due to having a mobile, rather than hoping someone sees your smoke signal.

Im not saying the in-law should have a phone due to her age, or her ability to look after said sprog, but it makes no sense to make life harder if one has a phone but actually take it out of ones bad when going out, just because.

Same goes for glass ketchup bottles. Put it down, squeezes are easier.

If you want to embrace it all then that's fine - freedom of choice and all that. However, freedom of choice applies both ways...

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:05 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Nah, just a sharp spike protruding from the steering wheel boss towards the driver... Laughing

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:20 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to reiterate, I haven't given her any shit about it.. this is a recent arrangement, for the past 3 weeks since we've moved back from far away to within 10 miles of her.

Its an observation I've made as I work 0600-1400 so I come back in the afternoon when she's out and about with the boy, and I notice the phone on the side.

On monday she'd not gone out yet, and I saw her go out the door, then come back in specifically to take her phone out of her bag and leave it here.. I asked her why she wasn't taking it and she got really aggressive about it turning itself off, but acted like I had 3 heads when I offered to go buy her a new one.

she's had him in the past and the phone thing came up hence wife asking her about it now twice. wife is GP with people skills. I work in a laboratory and only possess the tact to know I'm tactless enough to really upset the old dear when she's just trying to help.

but the fact is, she's old, and bounce or not... kids can get injured easily and I'd rather her be able to contact me in case of emergency than not. especially when the phone lives in the handbag she's carrying at all times, except that she takes it out to take my son out. that in itself is bizarre.

PS. I'm definitely 30, not 50...

also... perhaps I'd not worry if it was someone else. but she's neurotic and flappy and fills me with dread by producing industrial amounts of cortisol and blasting it all into the atmosphere. the boy can't do much without her hanging onto his arm shouting be careful at him and this leads them both into danger.

for example, the other week she took him to the park and doing her usual arm holding routine, followed him under the slide and twatted her head on the bottom support. she said she'd landed on her back and a man helped her get up, but insisted she hadn't been knocked out... what if she does knock herself out? am I really so wrong to worry?

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:36 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not wrong to worry, it's a fundamental part of parenting. Where you are wrong is trying to force your worries on to your MiL.

Maybe you shouldn't rely on her care to for the child so often.

As I said earlier you have two choices, to accept her behaviour, or, stop using her for childcare.

If you and Mrs Octoplet are so worried it would seem to be time to find a new, more biddable babysitter.

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:54 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracey Suntan-King wrote:
You're not wrong to worry, it's a fundamental part of parenting. Where you are wrong is trying to force your worries on to your MiL.

Maybe you shouldn't rely on her care to for the child so often.

As I said earlier you have two choices, to accept her behaviour, or, stop using her for childcare.

If you and Mrs Octoplet are so worried it would seem to be time to find a new, more biddable babysitter.

yeah, again, we don't really need the help. his old nursery was wayyyyy more expensive, but she's getting on, she's alone and it's nice for her to spend couple of days a week so we've just let her have what she wanted so as not to cause grief.

it's a difficult situation as we appreciate the help regardless of need, and it's good for them both. but getting things to be on our terms is proving to be a bit difficult. you'd think it'd be a simple thing to just carry a phone for peace of mind... who knew!?

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:18 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, well there could be something else going on with her.

I was in a similar position with my MiL and my firstborn. The MiL (70ish) was adamant that she could, and wanted to provide childcare for 2 days a week. Things started off ok and there were no mishaps but I suspected she was finding it tough & tiring.

She insisted she was fine but after a few weeks she engineered a situation with me that could only have one outcome, which was me ending the arrangement.

I have no doubt that the reality was that she wanted to give up childcare duties but didn't want to admit it. The way she did things meant that she was blameless and I was the neurotic mother.

Question

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:38 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

could well be... but 3 weeks into a 2 day a week arrangement she forced... it's unlikely.

we'll see. going to just have to bring it up on peaceful terms and see what happens

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:53 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:

FIL hasn't really been forgiven for that yet I don't think, but he still refuses to have his mobile with him. Rolling Eyes

There must be something about that generation of people, that they just cannot grasp the concept of totally wireless telephony.

In the few years my Dad had a mobile (before he lost his marbles) I don't think he ever made a successful call - we bought it for him with £10 credit, 5 years later it still had £9.97!

On the handful of occasions that my Mum managed to make a mobile call to me, it consisted of me saying hello, followed by a good few seconds of her in the background, asking various people if it was connected, then her screaming at me with such ferocity, she had clearly decided not to trouble a satellite and instead attempt to shout so loudly, I would hear her from anywhere in the country.

I think the cordless phone we bought her for home lasted about a month, before we got fed up of not being able to contact her - she could never find the handset and when she did, it was always flat.

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:42 - 24 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
There must be something about that generation of people, that they just cannot grasp the concept of totally wireless telephony.

You can't tell people what to do, they really don't like it. You need to go full inception and force them to come up with the idea all by themselves. You may have to construct some sort of elaborate plan when you stage a 'fake' kidnapping or some other emergency situation where your kids life is saved by a passer by who happens to have access to a wireless communication device, subsequently able to contact the emergency services who return your child intact.

This is just a theory, please don't try and kidnap your child.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:04 - 24 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

el_oso wrote:
Shaft wrote:

You can't tell people what to do, they really don't like it. You need to go full inception and force them to come up with the idea all by themselves. You may have to construct some sort of elaborate plan when you stage a 'fake' kidnapping or some other emergency situation where your kids life is saved by a passer by who happens to have access to a wireless communication device, subsequently able to contact the emergency services who return your child intact.

This is just a theory, please don't try and kidnap your child.

I was gonna suggest a walk along beachy head with the MIL but that could work.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:31 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not 1995. There's a good chance whatever calamity might befall befall granny and sprog that there will be someone near by who does have a phone. If its serious enough to warrant an emergency phone call then you or your wife wont be the first people to be called and emergency services will track you down soon enough. So just relax.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading between the lines here, it isn't an issue of whether she has a mobile phone or not, but one of trust. Mobile phones don't prevent accidents after all.

If you have so little faith in her ability to keep your sprog safe, then as Mrs Sid says, either confront her with it and incur wrath or keep quiet in the knowledge that as your sprog gets older she will find it harder to keep up and will hopefully ask for less babysitting duties as she can't take the pace.

One practical thing you could try is offering to let her look after your sprog for a whole weekend. By Sunday night I guarantee she will be desperate to hand the little person back and the memory will scar her sufficiently to not want to babysit again for a long time...

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Reading between the lines here, it isn't an issue of whether she has a mobile phone or not, but one of trust. Mobile phones don't prevent accidents after all.

If you have so little faith in her ability to keep your sprog safe, then as Mrs Sid says, either confront her with it and incur wrath or keep quiet in the knowledge that as your sprog gets older she will find it harder to keep up and will hopefully ask for less babysitting duties as she can't take the pace.

One practical thing you could try is offering to let her look after your sprog for a whole weekend. By Sunday night I guarantee she will be desperate to hand the little person back and the memory will scar her sufficiently to not want to babysit again for a long time...

correct. I don't trust her to cope in the event of an emergency as she's a giant flapper. and I have suspicions that she has already knocked herself out whilst chasing him underneath a slide and lied about it. she also lies about her phone being intermittently broken.

it's not just her though... I just expect to be contacted asap in case of emergency. someone who refuses to do this for absolutely no reason will potentially look like more of a liability than they may actually be. or it may be a symptom of their poor judgement.

uberkron
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 05:01 - 31 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought the returning to leave the mobile phone is bizarre.
Given that my mil runs a cult that doesn't accept the use of mobile phones I had a giggle.

Just trespass her and get on with life.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:53 - 31 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

uberkron wrote:
I just thought the returning to leave the mobile phone is bizarre.
Given that my mil runs a cult that doesn't accept the use of mobile phones I had a giggle.

Just trespass her and get on with life.

dr quack is that you Rolling Eyes Shocked Confused
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 237 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2