Digital Dash Build - My long journey of Geekery

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic : View next topic  

Codemonkey
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:37 - 02 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
component placing has to be done by hand as the led arrays have double sided smd components, they cant be done on mass with a pick and place machine and oven.

That's not correct. Any half decent assembly house should have no problems with PCB's with SMD parts on both sides (they'll charge extra for it though!). They dispense little blobs of glue under the components to stop them falling off when they flip the boards over to do the other side. Sometimes even that isn't required, the surface tension of the solder alone can hold most parts in place when the second side is reflowed.

NutsyUk wrote:
If i did need to make 50 or 100 units I would go down the plastic injection mould route. But I have no idea how much that costs

You're looking at probably £5K+ for injection molding tooling, plus the cost of then having a big batch of them made. It really isn't viable for such small production runs, better to just use one of the commercial 3d printing companies.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:33 - 02 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Codemonkey"]
NutsyUk wrote:

You're looking at probably £5K+ for injection molding tooling, plus the cost of then having a big batch of them made. It really isn't viable for such small production runs, better to just use one of the commercial 3d printing companies.

yeah sadly didnt think it would be cheap Sad

Well even more delays on finishing this prototype... And totally my fault Sad I ordered the wrong type of rgb leds. I got common cathode... when i needed common anode... I have no idea how i managed to do that. I think it was late and i was tired when i ordered them and i rushed it... :<

So its going to be a few weeks before the led arrays are built.

That doesnt stop me finishing putting together the main board and working on the important bits there in code. Just wont have any pretty lights to go with it for now Sad

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 19:09 - 02 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Codemonkey wrote:
NutsyUk wrote:
If i did need to make 50 or 100 units I would go down the plastic injection mould route. But I have no idea how much that costs

Casting might work. Significantly cheaper than injection moulding, and it's DIY-able.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 20:16 - 02 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

nods but resin tends to be rather brittle... is there a plastic epoxy? I mean an epoxy thats mixed to make ABS?

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:49 - 09 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few setbacks...but glad it's still moving forwards Smile last vids looked good!

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 10:55 - 09 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
nods but resin tends to be rather brittle... is there a plastic epoxy? I mean an epoxy thats mixed to make ABS?

TBH, I'm no expert - I'm still learning about casting processes myself. As for the relative brittleness of the casting resin, it won't be as durable as injection-moulded ABS, but I don't really see it exploding into a shower of fragments without provocation. Don't go smacking it around with hard objects, and it should be fine, I'd have thought.

Experimentation is the key - when I've got my new place set up and running, I'll do a couple of test pieces for you.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:14 - 18 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinsy update to show the LED array works...

Though the second board needs redoing as the drill holes are out of alignment enough to be a problem (double sided board)

https://youtu.be/WKwxT03Ktc8

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 00:32 - 17 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got round to making the second array, the one on the left side.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUc0ZCumZFc

Its a tweaked design, less vias less work putting it together.

Ill get on with some programming tomorrow...

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:08 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOT DEAD!!!

Right, yes Not dead.

Some of you know Ive had a bit of an upheaval this last few weeks... Trouble at home has forced me to relocate to a place I dont want to be....

Anyway this obviously has caused some delays in my project. I cant work on it at where Im staying, I'm not even allowed my smartphone. Fun huh?

Anyway, long story short, I have managed to get down to the local library and sit there with my project and get some work done on it...

Though because I dont have my smartphone I cant really show you what ive done....

Well I hit a milestone. To give you some idea what I've currently been working on... take a look at this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSlfSdQQIp0
Well I've finished the menu system for the led configuration... Though its not 100% how I want it. As you can see in that video I was trying to get it to update the led colour as you slide the slider... in the end this proved to be an utter nightmare to get working correctly. I tried multiple methods until I ran out of ideas. None worked right.

Before I was using my own serial calling code to grab and receive data, but in the end I incorporated the Nextion arduino library into the project.

This wasnt simple either. As i had to rewrite a few areas of my program to use the library and I even had to do some editing of the library to get it to work...

In the end I got it working. But I have to settle for now, the leds update only when you release the slider... The new issue is, the get value calls get interfered with the nextion button event checking code... Its really odd...

I may still be able to fix it, but I think ill have to really get creative with some code to block the button event checking for a period around when the value changes....

Anyway complex stuff...

But what I have works mostly. And the colours you set are the colours that are displayed when the speedo is running....

Obviously if you restart the speedo the original colours show. I havent written any config saving code yet, as I dont want to save to the MCU internal flash memory. Its read/write cycle is very very low and would kill the internal flash easily. My mainboard design does have the pads to solder on a external flash memory chip for just this issue... But im saving money at the moment and I prolly only add that when I make the next revision of the board.

I dont know when that would be though, as things are so up in the air at the moment.

As I mention in the video, the pins I'm using arnt suitible to use hardware timers. Thats one of the changes im going to make. Im also going to do some more track layout tweaking, and putting the piezo buzzer on the 5v line rather than the 12v line.

In a future version, ill be getting rid of the nextion display, in favour of an FTDI Eve option, but that would require a HUGE amount of rework... Recoding as well as new board designs. Essentially Ill be running all the display code on the main MCU... This might also require the use of a larger MCU... its allllllllllll in the either at the moment... Just need to research more.

Anyway When I can ill upload something showing the fixed menu code.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:12 - 17 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

HUGE UPDATE!!!!!

Apologies for not keeping people more updated, but as some of you know Ive had some upheavals at home which have made it difficult for me to work on my project as much as I would like… And post updates even less.

While changes to hardware is near impossible at the moment I have used the time I had to do a lot of software work. Ill try and bullet point these changes…

• Corrected fuel gauge and volt meter graphics to match the input data.
• Reworked the menu list changing options available
• Fixed the preview led colours in the colour menu
• Heavily reworked the colour picker menu
• Made the display talk to the MCU and programmed in the menu navigation
• To do this I had to implement a mixture of Nextion library use and Serial talking
• Ive done a lot of recoding of the LED update functions. Including reworking the peak lag spot animations and menu interactive animations.
• You can change colours for the LEDS through the menu system, though currently this doesn’t save, so when power is cut off it returns to the default settings.
• Fixed RPM calculation functions now accurately detects RPM through millisecond readings(this may be turned into a hardware timer interrupt in the next major hardware version…)
• Built the wizard for setting the high and low fuel level readings. However the hardware needs changing as the current design doesn’t work… even though it should Sad
• And other ‘stuff’ I cant even remember right now……. Lots of tweaking….

Ive also gone through a few different versions of RPM signal filter to try and get a working readable signal. This bit really has been a nightmare esp given my current circumstances making it really hard to RnD this bit.

Though ive managed to get it working. I may still do some changes to the rouge filter I got now. Just to guarantee a cleaner signal, but its working…

I nearly gave up on my project because of this… Whats the use of a speedo dash thing if it cant even read the RPM………….

Once Ive totally locked down the filter design Ill add it into the design of the new main PCB, Ill also upload a schematic of the filter so anyone else can use it if they like… Its only fair as I based my working design off a design someone else made elsewhere…

Ive uploaded a video of the update onto youtube… I talk through some of the updates ive done. I warn you its unscripted, not even got bullet points so theres lots of Umms and Uhhs as I try to think of what I need to say.

I hope you like.

https://youtu.be/bNYcpQY6J8Y

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:07 - 03 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another little update really...

Some major rework of the pcb design again. I have reintegrated the led arrays onto the main board, and im designing a new LCD board as I speak/type....

Where is this project at? Well with the new PCB design I had to do some rework of the case I made in Cad to fit the new design. Also the LCD is now going to be a little larger.

I have ordered the LCD but need to finish the PCBs then order them too...

Theeeeeeen, whats left really is getting some laser cut perspex or polycarbonate and a 3D printer and print out the case :p

Oh and getting a hall effect sensor attached to the wheel, though im keeping an eye out for a speed sender cable attachment that can read the speed there...

Anyway, i did some renders of the new case in maya yesterday.
you can see them and some more information at
https://hackaday.io/project/13259-digital-speedometer/log/60712-onward-and-upward-and-oh-hay-some-renders

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:17 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH I see your link has a few new rather damn good updates you haven't put on here yet!! It's looking rather PRO now for the PCB etc! hows it coming together

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:59 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bladerunner wrote:
OH I see your link has a few new rather damn good updates you haven't put on here yet!! It's looking rather PRO now for the PCB etc! hows it coming together

Good to see its still progressing. Look forward to a BCF exclusive?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:52 - 31 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exclusives? Very Happy wow... ummmm well ....

I have a 3D printer now. But im kinda stalled in the process of upgrading it to make it print better... Stalled because im waiting far too long for parts to come from china...

But once thats sorted ill print out the case and about the same time I would have something more finished (hardware wise, still a lot to do software wise) to show.

Money is tight as you can imagine. So I can only order bits every fortnight when my ESA comes in... Its all taking a lot longer than I want i to. But its getting there.

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:47 - 27 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just got a 3d printer too! nice little wanhao i3+ so if you need some files printing then let me know...also have solidworks 2017 and simplify 3d via work. so long as PLA will do we should be good!

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:53 - 27 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer but I'm all sorted in regards to printing. However I'm really struggling with getting the display module I designed to work. If it wasn't for that I would have posted a big update already...

Very frustrating... It's brought me damn close to packing it in.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:10 - 27 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

3D print the case using cheap shit plastic, use the printing to make a silicone mould. Cast it in alloy.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:51 - 27 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
3D print the case using cheap shit plastic, use the printing to make a silicone mould. Cast it in alloy.

Lol yeah considered doing something like that. But its a lot of work for something im not even sure is going to last...

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 15:05 - 27 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

Lol yeah considered doing something like that. But its a lot of work for something im not even sure is going to last...

Such is the nature of prototyping.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:32 - 27 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:

Such is the nature of prototyping.

Very true...

I really want this display to work then i can finish the project code all the fancy flashy bits and show something really nice....

But my brother showed me the aprilla new LCD only dash and I was thinking.... I can do better. And i have a working 5 inch display. So that might end up being my V2 with sat tracking and bits. But ill design it where the modules can be added later. All the gpios woul dbe modular and accessible so less locked down expensive mistakes.

And the really biggy, I plan on finally getting a new bike by December, i really really dont want to renew the insurance for the shitmoto bike. That would feel like a kick in the teeth. While Ill probably still put the new dash on the new bike, I have to make it work with that bike... a whole new set of possibilities and challenges.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 295 days between these two posts...

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:13 - 19 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost been a year since the last update, what happened to this project?

Is it RIP?

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:19 - 19 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol not exactly...

But circumstances have changed...

The shitty lexmoto I was originally building it for has gone...

I started some version 2 stuff earlier this year. But got side tracked on another project...

This is an early UI only concept of v2... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd7v6aOUmMA

Interestingly... These speedo projects have just landed me with some really cool work. I cant talk too much about it being NDA. But I'm building a design for a big electronics company...

So my own current design is being put on hold...

But I WILL make it.

In the form of the v2... Ala nice graphics and built in gps tracking anti theft stuff...

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:51 - 20 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

No more crying about £20 on tyres brah Wink

I'd want cash + NDA, but you know.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:50 - 20 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
No more crying about £20 on tyres brah Wink

I'd want cash + NDA, but you know.

The irony wasn't lost on me... Still not had my first payment though so... Chickens and eggs something somthing

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:15 - 24 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

soooo need to see this thing done Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 208 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4