Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Suzuki GSX-R125 review

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:57 - 02 Sep 2017    Post subject: Suzuki GSX-R125 review Reply with quote

It's not shit. Shocked

Bang on the power limit, big-bore revvy but fuel efficient engine, light, well laid out, usable suspension and brakes. Winner.

About time, Suzuki, and a badly needed bike for them. Thumbs Up

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:45 - 02 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds fine, but I wish they'd tell us if it can maintain 60/65 mph uphill on a dual carriageway - that's where safety becomes an issue and avoids being truck fodder.

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:53 - 02 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind lack of upside down forks, but no radial calipers kinda sucks. I suppose you either get both or none.

Kids will love it though, it's got 1 bhp more than Yamaha R125 after all Wink

And it's cheaper too.

Out of all sporty 125cc I would probably buy GSXR Embarassed

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:54 - 02 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds ok, and within the confines of a 125 should be as good as anything else really.

Wanting a constant genuine 65mph up a long hill on a dual carriageway doesn't sound very realistic for any 15bhp bike, and I question if you know how bikes work by asking for something like that? It's like saying I thought all bikes are about the same up to 100mph, or will a 600 do a reliable constant 150 uphill on a windy day? Rolling Eyes

Just because you deem a bike to be acceptable or safe if it can do or better 65mph in the harshest conditions, doesn't make any difference, as it's not being judged by your standards, only by the standards of the class.

I just wish they had put a better engine in the 250 and made it as light as possible too. If the 250 even had 34bhp instead of 24, and was a 150kg wet ride, it would have been ok for a small bike for many people that want a sporty (not sports bike) commuter or a second bike that's light and easy to throw about and has to be thrashed to living hell to put 3figures on the speedo.

I did follow a YZF125R home the other night in my van. On a long maybe 1.5-2mile flat dual carriageway, it sat about 5 car lengths ahead of me, as I was doing 70 in the van and didn't gain on it. I thought that was ok for a 125 four stroke, and while I do believe that the bike is capable of about 75mph on the flat and maybe a real 80 down hill, it's just the acceleration that is slow on them. Up to 50mph they are ok, but it does seem that they need a long time to get the last 20mph out of them, but once there will sit happily for miles.

I reckon as a 17yr old today coming to bikes, and especially being born in an era having never known what the word two stroke meant, I could be happy with one, for two years anyway.
As long as they keep selling the 180cc big bore kits especially! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:17 - 02 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Just because you deem a bike to be acceptable or safe if it can do or better 65mph in the harshest conditions, doesn't make any difference

It does to me - that's why I mentioned it.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:29 - 02 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I just wish they had put a better engine in the 250 and made it as light as possible too.

I am wondering why didn't they just enlarge the motor in this 125 and sell it as the 250.

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:54 - 02 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

if 125s are limited to 15hp why don't thy make one with 100ft/lb of torques just to make it interesting Very Happy

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:07 - 02 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's exactly why you don't want a 125 Einstein!

You wernt asking a performance question in 125 terms, only your own in which case you can quietly walk on by and shut the door.

WR, I believe they could easily if they wanted find a 250cc engine to fit the GSXR 125 chassis if they wanted. What would be ideal is a down tuned RMZ or any other 250cc motocross engine.

Arry said their hands would be tied in power to weight ratio to make it shitty A2 compliant, but even 25bhp is cool if your pushing no weight along. And it leaves them the option of offering a non A2 full licence version with say 35bhp, which is still a long and safe way off a full 250 MX bike engine, so offering reasonable maintenance schedules etc.

If they sold an A2 bike that absolutely *cough* couldn't be easily derestricted to full power, it could prove very popular IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:07 - 02 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

almostthere wrote:
if 125s are limited to 15hp why don't thy make one with 100ft/lb of torques just to make it interesting Very Happy

Because nobody has ever called an NC700/750 "interesting"?

Also... 125cc.

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:15 - 02 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Well that's exactly why you don't want a 125 Einstein!

You wernt asking a performance question in 125 terms, only your own in which case you can quietly walk on by and shut the door.

The Bennetts' article states "Suzuki claim that at 134kg their bike has the best power-to-weight ratio and acceleration of any 125"

That was my point of reference. So, if it's being marketed as a performance 125 then I wish they'd tell us if it can maintain 60/65 mph uphill on a dual carriageway.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:17 - 02 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

almostthere wrote:

If you're talking torque at the back wheel - easy; just gear appropriately.

But you're probably talking at the engine. And as power is torque*rpm, it'd have to turn incredibly slowly. And so have the gearing adjusted, which would remove all that extra torque. Nevermind that it'd have serious trouble producing said torque from that capacity - generally you have to go up in capacity to get significantly more torque.

Not sure I'd want a 250 motocross engine in one the newer chassis? As you'd expect from a good bit less power, they overall look like they weren't designed to take as much power as the 90s 2 strokes were.

Fastest 125...
Not by a long shot - NSR125, for instance.
Fastest new road legal 125...
Well, the KTM 125XC comes in road legal options (double the power and 2/3rds the weight).
Fastest new commuter 125...
Hmmm, possibly Smile.

Radial brakes, as with USD calipers, would be purely fashion here.

Lupo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:28 - 02 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is great but it is 4 grand too.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 06:58 - 03 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, it's not something that any sane Yoof will buy, but the fact is that they've been buying more expensive YZF-R125s by the boatload, so a mini-gixxer should find a market.

It's more that Suzuki have for once invested in producing something half-way decent rather than reheating yesterday's leftovers.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:57 - 03 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a good thing there's another competitor in the 125cc category, maybe it'll make the manufacturers to compete for the customers with each other again. Unless they've got a collusion to keep things as they are, of course.

I'm after a small four stroke myself, I found an unexplainable joy in riding low displacement machines with extremely good mpg and cheap maintenance costs. Thinking

Dr. DaveJPS
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:40 - 04 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

almostthere wrote:

Then why not fork out for a Zero S? Wink

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/zero/s/2017/

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:48 - 04 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. DaveJPS wrote:
almostthere wrote:

Bikes like this are our future apparently.. in... 40+ years.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:58 - 04 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. DaveJPS wrote:
almostthere wrote:

MCN really are crap. The 11kw version is A1 complaint, but the 22kw version surprisingly enough isn't.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:18 - 04 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing is, they are so consistently wrong that it makes them a reliable source.

This is a real thing in police intel reports. If you know someone always lies, this actually makes them more useful than an unknown source.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:31 - 04 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Thing is, they are so consistently wrong that it makes them a reliable source.

This is a real thing in police intel reports. If you know someone always lies, this actually makes them more useful than an unknown source.

Actually, I've looked at a few web resources and it's not as clear cut as I thought. Worth a look Roger, if you're interested. Still don't think it's A1 compliant though.

Last edited by arry on 12:27 - 04 Sep 2017; edited 1 time in total

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:33 - 04 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

MCN really are crap. The 11kw version is A1 complaint, but the 22kw version surprisingly enough isn't.

2012 and prior all versions were A1 compliant it seems - due to it being about average power of 30 minutes or something and them not being rated for that then or something.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:35 - 04 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

almostthere wrote:

Reading that back now, in order to achieve the numbers quoted it'd be able to rev to something like a whopping 750rpm. That'd be lovely.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:36 - 04 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. DaveJPS wrote:
almostthere wrote:

Because £9000 and 50 mile range?

If you say someone is mad to buy a £4000 125 they would have to be utterly insane to buy that. Have they sold any?

Dr. DaveJPS
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:21 - 04 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Because £9000 and 50 mile range?

If you say someone is mad to buy a £4000 125 they would have to be utterly insane to buy that. Have they sold any?

Have any electric bikes ever sold? the prices are always sky high... Mind you the availibility of cheap credit has pushed almost all new/used prices sky high!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:49 - 04 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone on here has a Zero I believe.

If you're willing to make a long term investment and if their battery claims are believed, I can see some situations where it would make a sensible long-term commuter/town bike.

And if you can swap out batteries (not sure you can), could make a nice circuit bike (ie motocross, enduro, supermoto), at least if it wasn't 50% heavier than decent bikes in that area.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year, 15 days between these two posts...

Selhihome
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:17 - 20 Sep 2018    Post subject: GSX s 125 Can it hold60 uphill Reply with quote

Oldie wrote:
Sounds fine, but I wish they'd tell us if it can maintain 60/65 mph uphill on a dual carriageway - that's where safety becomes an issue and avoids being truck fodder.

I got a GSX S and it can hold 60 uphill into a head wind.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 209 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1