Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Well built laptop advice.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 11:19 - 31 Aug 2017    Post subject: Well built laptop advice. Reply with quote

My ma wants a new laptop, she does not particularly take care of her previous ones.

They always end up with physical damage. i.e. her current Lenovo one has cracks all through the casing, I think the DVD drive is misc the hinges don;t work etc. etc. In comparison my Lenovo that was bought maybe a year after looks more or less new.

I'm after something that can take a beating. Maybe something with a metal frame.

Budget is up to £500 but happy to spend much less any ideas? It's only used for Surfing the net so spec is not important.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:46 - 31 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look into getting a Chromebook. Different from normal pc. They are built for the internet, -6 second start up. Very little Hardwear as it is all clouds based.

Prices are good.

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/discover-chromebook-1460-commercial.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:42 - 31 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its advertised for use in war zones, thats gotta be a good start right?

Panasonic Toughbook

As far as portability... its at the opposite end of the spectrum from a chromebook, but it does have a carry handle Laughing

Normally £2,200 but on offer for a measly £350... I5 processor, 4gb ram, win7, 80gb hdd. What more could you ask for?!

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:12 - 31 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually impressed, works in Texas too.

https://toughruggedlaptops.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/650x650/e58265a81e73a86d4cd6530fc3af97d9/c/f/cf-29aaa.jpg

chris-red

PostPosted: 12:23 - 01 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toughbooks are overkill, after a cheap laptop with a Metal Chassis I think.

I know I said internet only she does need a couple of Windows based programs. Plus old people and new things means it must be Windows.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:46 - 01 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:

I know I said internet only she does need a couple of Windows based programs. Plus old people and new things means it must be Windows.

tbh... toughbook. Really, it's the best call.

Dell E series laptops are metal and pretty tough though. Still not nearly as tough as a toughbook. Can get one off ebay for about £150.

Also, why can't you just give her a desktop? My mum uses a dual screen desktop.

Dell Latitude E6330 i5 3rd Gen 2.7 GHz 4GB RAM 320GB Windows 7
£99.99
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-Latitude-E6330-i5-3rd-Gen-2-7-GHz-4GB-RAM-320GB-Windows-7-Laptop-Computer-/162360306849?hash=item25cd6daca1:g:dQMAAOSwOu5ZmxSQ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red

PostPosted: 13:07 - 01 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
chris-red wrote:

tbh... toughbook. Really, it's the best call.

Dell E series laptops are metal and pretty tough though. Still not nearly as tough as a toughbook. Can get one off ebay for about £150.

Also, why can't you just give her a desktop? My mum uses a dual screen desktop.

Dell Latitude E6330 i5 3rd Gen 2.7 GHz 4GB RAM 320GB Windows 7
£99.99
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-Latitude-E6330-i5-3rd-Gen-2-7-GHz-4GB-RAM-320GB-Windows-7-Laptop-Computer-/162360306849?hash=item25cd6daca1:g:dQMAAOSwOu5ZmxSQ

She uses it whilst sitting on the sofa so must be a laptop, I've had a toughbook, I ran over it with a car it is total overkill. I've recommended a ACER Swift 3 £530 quid, and a full metal frame. I also told her if she was willing to change how she treats it she could get one for half that that would do the job.

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:28 - 01 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My work laptop (don't laugh) is a Dell precision M6300

https://www.notebookcheck.net/fileadmin/_migrated/pics/dell_precision_m6300_gesamt4.jpg

At 4kg its so heavy you could easily knock someone out with it.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:56 - 01 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
.................Plus old people and new things means it must be Windows.

Why?? Not the case with my dad, or mum when she was alive ?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:14 - 01 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
chris-red wrote:
.................Plus old people and new things means it must be Windows.

Why?? Not the case with my dad, or mum when she was alive ?

My dad still types entire website addresses into Google, f**k trying to teach him a new OS Razz

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:22 - 01 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's an OS? Can I get that on my Facebook?

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:55 - 01 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does she need a laptop?

Will tablet not suffice?

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:24 - 02 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:

She uses it whilst sitting on the sofa so must be a laptop, I've had a toughbook, I ran over it with a car it is total overkill. I've recommended a ACER Swift 3 £530 quid, and a full metal frame. I also told her if she was willing to change how she treats it she could get one for half that that would do the job.

You can get 5 of that one I linked you for the same price. Also, fit an SSD, they are bomb proof.

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:50 - 04 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

toughbook. loads of ex gasman ones knocking around on ebay.

careful with drivers though, some can be really odd
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 206 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1