Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Breakdown recovery UK

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

kaintxu
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:26 - 31 Aug 2017    Post subject: Breakdown recovery UK Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I'm going to stay with my motorcycle insurance as while expensive is one of the few not charging over 1000 quid. They have an option for breakdown cover which costs I think 70 pounds, but I was wondering if there is one you guys can recommend.

This year I had RAC UK as it came free for 1 year with my Yamaha, but wondering what to do next.

Thanks

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:34 - 31 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: Breakdown recovery UK Reply with quote

kaintxu wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm going to stay with my motorcycle insurance as while expensive is one of the few not charging over 1000 quid. They have an option for breakdown cover which costs I think 70 pounds, but I was wondering if there is one you guys can recommend.

This year I had RAC UK as it came free for 1 year with my Yamaha, but wondering what to do next.

Thanks

check if you're covered by your bank

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:34 - 31 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carole Nash insurance usually includes recovery which has always got me home when I needed it.

They're not on the comparison websites. Maybe worth a quote?

Whatever you get, make sure it gets you and your bike home and not just pick you up and take you to the nearest garage.

kaintxu
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:41 - 31 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Carole Nash quoted me for like £2000, I think because of were I live and having a secure resident parking instead of a garage (live in a flat, not a chance I can get a garage)

I was maybe looking for a breakdown cover by itself that provides a good service and it is not too expensive

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:06 - 31 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Whatever you get, make sure it gets you and your bike home and not just pick you up and take you to the nearest garage.

And, make sure it includes recovery after accidents as well as breakdowns - not all of them do

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:13 - 31 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because I have multiple vehicles and a need for the missus to be covered as well, I've ignored insurer sold breakdown packages entirely as they tend to be restricted to the vehicle. I've had RAC 'Personal' cover for a good few years and this year it's gone up (again) to £240 ish which I've decided is just too much.

Shopped around, found Start Rescue, paid £116 for the wife and I, personal cover any vehicle including home start Thumbs Up

https://www.startrescue.co.uk/breakdown-cover?gclid=CKPOhvS4gdYCFQkOaQodB0AP5g

Get really good reviews, with the only bad reviews tending to be when someone hasn't changed their vehicle over after changing motor and getting charged for it - since I've got Personal Cover that's not relevant, so all seems well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Loui5D
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:19 - 31 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/

Bonnie Lad
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:33 - 31 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for start rescue Thumbs Up

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:35 - 31 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonnie Lad wrote:
+1 for start rescue Thumbs Up

Interestingly, I've spotted on the Auto Aid link that their c/o address is the same; I would hazard a guess someone in Colchester has set up a call centre which just fulfills the claims response function but would be interesting to see how much overlap there is, especially with the big 3 providers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:25 - 31 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loui5D wrote:

That. Self-and-spouse, any vehicle, roadside assistance[*], delivery to any UK destination, home start / recovery to a local garage, covers accidents, vandalism and theft attempts, and by far the cheapest.

[*] It's been fine for me 3 times over the past few years (2 x bike, 1 x car) although it really was just recovery monkeys, they had no intention of even trying to get me going again. That's absolutely fine for my purposes.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:35 - 31 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Interestingly, I've spotted on the Auto Aid link that their c/o address is the same; I would hazard a guess someone in Colchester has set up a call centre which just fulfills the claims response function but would be interesting to see how much overlap there is, especially with the big 3 providers.

Common denominator is https://www.call-assist.co.uk/

+1 for Auto Aid (except that as I mentioned last time, just beware that non-married or non-civil partners are specifically excluded)

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:03 - 31 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
just beware that non-married or non-civil partners are specifically excluded

Put a ring on it, beatnik.

SBDJ
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:05 - 31 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Start Rescue customer here too. Only had to use them once, but they came out promptly and took the bike and I home when my chain snapped.

155mph
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:04 - 04 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What to do in event of puncture?

Exclusions include no serviceable spare wheel, aerosol repair kit, appropriate jack or, the locking mechanisms for the wheels are not immediately available to remove the wheels.

This is fine for car but bike?

J.M.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:15 - 04 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know their price (because their website is really slow), but every time I've been unfortunately enough to require breakdown assistance, I've been impressed by SOS Motorcycles.

Most recently they sorted out my puncture on the M1 and got me home. Wasn't a member and had someone with me in an hour.

That being said, I was previously on a family policy with GEM. That's not too expensive and SOS Motorcycles is one of their chosen providers for motorcycles (hence why I've seen them so many times).

ride_to_die
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:12 - 05 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been with AutoAid for a few years. Can't complain, usually its SOS Motorcycles that come out to me.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 234 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1