Smidsy. C'mon! (audio and paint)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:24 - 06 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

drbaig wrote:
Injury wise, I got checked out an AE and no breaks. Only ligament damage, so will be painful for a week I suppose.

Don't underestimate how bad 'ligament damage' might be though. Am not suggesting that you make things up or over-egg the claim, but just bear in mind that it could potentially be quite serious. A slightly sprained ligament should recover uneventfully, but if (eg) you've ruptured one that could never be right again, and that would be a whole different ball game. You've done the right thing in getting a medical report at the outset, now just don't be too quick to agree to any settlement until you know the long-term outcome.

pompousporcupine wrote:
I listened to it and he admits fault, but i would imagine it would be difficult to prove that its him without his mug on video saying it.

Well - first - that guy on the very clear recording did seem a reasonable bloke, and there can be little doubt that he's been nobbled by his insurer (who I imagine will be pretty pissed off that their client admitted liability). Now if this went to court, and that tape got played as evidence, then is that guy (a law-abiding, upstanding, if a bit short-sighted, citizen) really going to stand up and deny (despite all indications to the contrary, that that was indeed him? Commit perjury and risk a jail sentence - why would he do that? That's what your own claims solicitor will be pointing out.

If it was really necessary (eg if this was a megabucks claim), I'm sure an expert witness (ie on voiceprint analysis) would make short work of the opposition...

Last edited by Freddyfruitbat on 13:49 - 06 Sep 2017; edited 3 times in total

drbaig
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:41 - 06 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insurance people called. They are going to get hastings to send someone to examine the damage to the bike.

They want me to take a hire bike, which I have not agreed to yet. I can get to work via bus or take a lift. I am never certain of insurance outcomes. I don't want to get stuck with a hire bill.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:51 - 06 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't touch a hire bike if the rogue has "realised" that he's an excellent driver and so therefore couldn't possibly have been at fault.

There's no reason that you can't get his details and then invoice him personally for your losses. See if he fancies having his insurer indemnify him after he gets a summons to small claims.

Sadly, witnesses would really have helped. Sad

drbaig
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:29 - 06 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I wouldn't touch a hire bike if the rogue has "realised" that he's an excellent driver and so therefore couldn't possibly have been at fault.

There's no reason that you can't get his details and then invoice him personally for your losses. See if he fancies having his insurer indemnify him after he gets a summons to small claims.

Sadly, witnesses would really have helped. Sad

I have heard too many horror stories about hire bikes to bite that bait.

I know witnesses would have helped but people who saw the accident did not stop.. So that't shit out of luck.

I fucking hate insurance companies. Absolutely hate the wankers. After I told the lady on the phone I have the guy admitting fault on the video she goes: "it's not upto him, his insurance will decide liability". Like really WTF, he clearly says he changed lanes and didn't see me. What more do they want. all they are interested in is injury claims and racking up hire bills.

Now I have to wait till the bike gets assessed by one of these knobs. Don't know how long that is going to take.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:47 - 06 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

drbaig wrote:
Now I have to wait till the bike gets assessed by one of these knobs. Don't know how long that is going to take.

I think it was 3-4 weeks after with mine, but yours might be sooner. Check the CCTV/petrol station situation just in case, you normally have to move quickly to get any footage.

I agree with FFB, don't underestimate injuries, my knees are still fooked 3 years on and I didn't even sustain ligament damage. You're probably doing the right thing refusing the hire bike, sounds like the guys insurer's going to try and argue. Same thing happened with me and it just ended up costing them more money Rolling Eyes

Edit: keep receipts for public transport, it'll be a lot less than a £70 a day hire bike Smile

drbaig
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:08 - 06 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
drbaig wrote:

I think it was 3-4 weeks after with mine, but yours might be sooner. Check the CCTV/petrol station situation just in case, you normally have to move quickly to get any footage.

I agree with FFB, don't underestimate injuries, my knees are still fooked 3 years on and I didn't even sustain ligament damage. You're probably doing the right thing refusing the hire bike, sounds like the guys insurer's going to try and argue. Same thing happened with me and it just ended up costing them more money Rolling Eyes

Edit: keep receipts for public transport, it'll be a lot less than a £70 a day hire bike Smile

Last time I went with rider support services as the company handling the claim seemed like idiots. The woman on the phone asked me if I was wearing a seat belt.

Also, RSS were more concerned with injuries, otherwise they weren't even sure if they would be able to help.

I had my bike back on the road within ten days. Rss did get the damage assessed within 5 days. I fixed the mechanical bare minimum after that to get it rideable again. As I knew that claim was gonna get disputed from the get go.

This one I was more optimistic with the guy admitting it and profusely apologising. But either his insurance does not want him to admit liability or he has changed his mind. Either way, it has pissed me off.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:59 - 06 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

drbaig wrote:
RSS were more concerned with injuries, otherwise they weren't even sure if they would be able to help

Cos presumably their fee is a percentage of the value of the claim, and without compo for a nice juicy injury it's not worth their while, innit

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:29 - 06 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
drbaig wrote:
Injury wise, I got checked out an AE and no breaks. Only ligament damage, so will be painful for a week I suppose.

Don't underestimate how bad 'ligament damage' might be though.

I've shattered part of my pelvis, broken ribs and broken my wrist.

I've torn ligaments in my foot and knee. 15 years later, the knee and foot STILL give me more problems than anything else.

Take it seriously OP. Thumbs Up

drbaig
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 07:39 - 07 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

J4mes wrote:

I've torn ligaments in my foot and knee. 15 years later, the knee and foot STILL give me more problems than anything else.

Yeah, I thought it would be better by today. But still having trouble walking so I am going to speak to the injury people from the insurance.

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:38 - 07 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

drbaig wrote:
J4mes wrote:

Yeah, I thought it would be better by today. But still having trouble walking so I am going to speak to the injury people from the insurance.

Docs first. Take physical evidence you were there and what the doc said.

drbaig
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 08:43 - 07 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

UnknownStuntman wrote:

Docs first. Take physical evidence you were there and what the doc said.

Went to AE on Tuesday, Nurse prac looked and said pain killers and rest. Cartilage and ligament damage most likely. No breaks.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:29 - 07 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

drbaig wrote:
The woman on the phone asked me if I was wearing a seat belt.

I'm sorry but what?!!?! how do these retards even get jobs.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:28 - 07 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:

I'm sorry but what?!!?! how do these retards even get jobs.

Now now! She was just being thorough. Maybe she came to work on one of these...
https://s20.postimg.org/5xidlhv4d/Screenshot_2017-09-07_at_10.26.32.png
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

drbaig
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:26 - 07 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

She was some poor paralegal or a receptionist doing a paralegal job for New Law.

I spoke to acm Fletchers that handle claims for MCE. Because it seemed like the only way I was gonna get somewhere was to get a claims management firm involved. They are interested in the video. Sent them the link, lets see what they say.

supZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:26 - 07 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first read this thread I thought 'ahh finally a decent guy, he'll get this sorted quickly' then as quickly as I read that I see it's all gone to shit.

Sucks man, hopefully you'll get a decent resolution out of it.

drbaig
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:28 - 07 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

supZ wrote:
When I first read this thread I thought 'ahh finally a decent guy, he'll get this sorted quickly' then as quickly as I read that I see it's all gone to shit.

Sucks man, hopefully you'll get a decent resolution out of it.

Yep, same here. At first I thought this should not take long to resolve. Now I am certain that it is going to take ages to get sorted.

drbaig
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:44 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoke to the insurance folks again. They have tried to get in touch with 3rd party insurer. No response.

Apparently it can take 90 days for the other insurance to respond. So it can technically take 90 days for them to come asses the damage.

What a farce.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:17 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

drbaig wrote:
I spoke to acm Fletchers that handle claims for MCE.

https://i2.wp.com/ylgatheringplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/17.2-noooooo.jpg?resize=500%2C487

They turned my simple SMIDSY into a case I nearly ended up losing. I only got out of it by ignoring all their 'advice'. Also had to do a fair amount of work myself, chasing up stuff, formatting court documents cos they couldn't manage it Confused

drbaig
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:12 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
drbaig wrote:
I spoke to acm Fletchers that handle claims for MCE.

https://i2.wp.com/ylgatheringplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/17.2-noooooo.jpg?resize=500%2C487

They turned my simple SMIDSY into a case I nearly ended up losing. I only got out of it by ignoring all their 'advice'. Also had to do a fair amount of work myself, chasing up stuff, formatting court documents cos they couldn't manage it Confused

Gonna see how it goes for now. I know they have mixed reviews.

How much can they fuck this up......... I have given them proof of the third party admitting changing lanes into me on video.

Gotta be some kind of monumental fuck up if they can't manage to do this right.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:10 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: Smidsy. C'mon! (audio and paint) Reply with quote

Looks like all the bike needs to ride is a new footpeg?

drbaig
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:20 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: Smidsy. C'mon! (audio and paint) Reply with quote

G wrote:
Looks like all the bike needs to ride is a new footpeg?

Two things, footpeg and starter clutch cover. I could tape the starter clutch cover, so you may be right. Laughing

What it actually needs: Handlebar (right)
Front faring frame needs straightening.
Forks are twisted slightly so need realignment.
exhaust fubar.
cracked Screen.
Bent frame slider.

Cosmetic shit is meh!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:06 - 09 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: Smidsy. C'mon! (audio and paint) Reply with quote

Is that definitely the starter housing? Normally on the other side - but good if it is - gaffa tape may well do Smile... though I would be trying a bit better fix (even if that's just a patch chemical metal'd on Smile ).

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fubar
This does not describe a very gentle remoulding! Smile

drbaig
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:24 - 09 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: Smidsy. C'mon! (audio and paint) Reply with quote

G wrote:
Is that definitely the starter housing? Normally on the other side - but good if it is - gaffa tape may well do Smile... though I would be trying a bit better fix (even if that's just a patch chemical metal'd on Smile ).

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fubar
This does not describe a very gentle remoulding! Smile

I think it is. The other side is gen cover.

But it is holey holey. https://i.imgur.com/YTNmGfL.jpg

I am waiting to get all this assessed. Ideally I would like it to not be written off cat B or A. But you never know.

You are right though, Foot peg and temporary bodge does get me back on the road. Very Happy

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:35 - 09 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: Smidsy. C'mon! (audio and paint) Reply with quote

drbaig wrote:

I think it is. The other side is gen cover.

The starter almost always goes onto the flywheel rotor - quick google shows that as the pickup timing cover.
£30 for a new replacement on ebay.

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:45 - 16 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
drbaig wrote:

Don't underestimate how bad 'ligament damage' might be though. Am not suggesting that you make things up or over-egg the claim, but just bear in mind that it could potentially be quite serious. A slightly sprained ligament should recover uneventfully, but if (eg) you've ruptured one that could never be right again, and that would be a whole different ball game. You've done the right thing in getting a medical report at the outset, now just don't be too quick to agree to any settlement until you know the long-term outcome.

This (and other warnings about ligament damage) are dead right. Broken ankle from last August was healed absolutely fine by October, but 6 months of incredibly painful physiotherapy and a further 5 months of recovery time it's still not quite right. Hurts when the weather changes, random throbbing ect. Get it seen to and do what the physio tells you Tut Tut .

Sorry to hear the guy is back tracking but I would settle in for the long haul. I was rear-ended while stationary at a roundabout in February. Observed by cars behind, ambulance at next exit and police car waiting at exit before. Guy admitted liability at scene, to police, to other car drivers. Since then has been consistently denying it, my insurance have just informed me they are taking him to court over it Rolling Eyes Meanwhile I can't change insurers to one that isn't reaming me because there is an unclosed claim. Twat!

Good Luck! Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 195 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3