Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Manx Grand Prix & Classic TT

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:41 - 21 Aug 2017    Post subject: Manx Grand Prix & Classic TT Reply with quote

We arrived this afternoon, boat docked at 2pm, been raining ever since!
Practice cancelled, more British weather predicted for tomorrow!
Beer and fishing it is then for the next couple of days.
Better news, our new "air" tent monstrosity is a lot easier to put up than one of the poled variety.
Staying at Peel campsite which so far seems very good.

Anyone else on the island at the moment?

Beer is calling, more news later this week!

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:20 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like practice is about to get underway.....enjoy. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:11 - 22 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the British weather tried its best to interfere with this evening's proceedings, but just about failed.

We watched the practice session at Ballacraine, there was a really good mixture of bikes, classic superbikes (1980's stuff, including a couple of Norton rotary racers), 500 & 250 strokers,
Lightweight class (modern 650 twins), MGP bikes (modern 600's) and the classic racers.

The classic race bikes are earsplitting, you can hear them coming for
a minute or so before they arrive, a gaggle of them sound like WW2 aicraft arriving!
Amongst all the usual British bikes there were plenty of old Hondas, some MV's and Ducatis, but best of all a couple of Vincents. I've seen a few Vincents but never actually seen one move.
More than a few of the classic race bikes are replicas, you can buy one if you stump up £80k! Shocked

Didn't have my race program with me so I couldn't say who it was but one of the MGP riders clipped the wall accelerating out of Ballacraine, not a problem, he just nailed it all the way up to Glen Helen.

Wasn't expecting this many spectators, it's not TT packed but we're only in practice week and there are quite a lot of people here!

In other news Fish 1 - 0 Sid.

Anyway, BEER!

More later. Thumbs Up

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No British weather today!

I've been to the IOM, for the TT, many times, today we watched practice from the scariest place I've ever watched from.
I've watched from the Cronk-Y Voddy straight before, about half way along it, but today we watched opposite the church hall, at the end of the straight, about 50 yds before the right hand bend going into Molyneux's.
Very scary stuff watching the bikes going into there.
The really fast guys were just rolling off the throttle and tipping it into the corner, still in top gear, at unbelievable speeds. Some huge moments and tank slappers as they exited the corner.
There is a huge variety of bikes racing, hearing Bruce Anstey's ex GP, V4 Yamaha 2 stroke at full chat is amazing.
There is a huge difference in handling between the classic superbikes and the 250 two stroke racers, the 2 strokes are on rails whereas the 750 four strokes and the Lightweight (650 twins) seemed to be tying themselves in knots hitting the bump just before the apex of the bend.
Gotta love those 2 stroke race bikes, mind you the classic bikes appear to be on rails as well. This is mentioned in the program, all the classic racers and 2 strokes are all pure, built for the track, race bikes, whereas the superbikes are basically just tarted up road bikes!

One strange thing I've noticed, there are maybe five Hondas in the Classic Superbike class, from a huge field,odd when you consider the big H's TT record from the 80's

In other news Fish 2 -0 Sid, getting annoying now. Confused

Beer now!
More thoughts tomorrow!

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:24 - 24 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same as yesterdays, earsplitting action.
Bruce is still flying on the V4 two stroke, the smell of two stroke in the evening, hmmmmmm! Thumbs Up

Fish 2 - 4 Sid, game of two halves an' all that. Very Happy

Beer now,

Later, losers! Wink

RedPanda
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:56 - 25 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad has said he'd pick the Classic over the TT, and I'm old enough to miss 2 strokes. Are ferries and accommodation easy to sort compared to the TT? Cheers.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 25 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedPanda wrote:
My dad has said he'd pick the Classic over the TT, and I'm old enough to miss 2 strokes. Are ferries and accommodation easy to sort compared to the TT? Cheers.

Yes, a lot easier!

Today's action:-

Weather boded well for this evenings practice, there was actually a bit of sunshine at one point.
Tonight's venue was Kirk Michael, The right hander going into the village, never watched from here before we were sitting right behind the marshals, we couldn't see far up the track but you could see the bikes powering away and disappearing into the village.
Everything was going well until the session was red flagged, Mark Foster, binned it at Brandywell, he has leg injuries, nothing life threatening though, he was taken to hospital in an ambulance.
I overheard the travelling marshal telling the other marshals that Foster had hit another bike that had gone down, or possibly the other way round.
Anyway all the bikes on the course were stopped, about 20 or so of the classic bikes pulled in right in front of us. After 15 mins they had to make their way back to the grandstand going the wrong way around the course, (road still blocked at Brandywell).
Well it was a proper cacophony when all the classic started up, they all had to be bump started then they had to wait for all the bikes that were now coming back from Ramsey.
Eventually a large group of bikes appeared and the lot in front of us tagged on behind them.
TSK has uploaded a video on of this on Facebook, whatever that is.

In other news, this just in:-

Fish 2- 9 Sid, it was never in doubt! Thumbs Up

RedPanda
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:44 - 26 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Dunlop looked great on that Gilera, nice to see him go for the old style lid as well. Hopefully the ITV highlights do it justice (rather than just Parrish showing off).

Good to see Josh Brookes take a win as well.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:51 - 26 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replica of first bike that did a 100mph lap https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DILfUM4XkAAUq3k.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DILfUM1XgAQUxXW.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DIK_CrMXgAAKMgU.jpg
MD managed 100.5.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:38 - 26 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally a bit of sunshine today, just in time for some racing.

We watched at the end of Cronk-y-voddy.

Senior Classic TT ear splitter
As mentioned above Josh Brookes won it with ease, he was leading by over a minute but had to pit for fuel on lap 3. Jamie Coward, on a Norton, didn't pit and took first place from Brookes by about ten seconds. By the time they'd both passed Glen Helen Brookes was back in the lead by half a second. He eventually won by over 30 seconds, to be fair on Coward he had a problem and nursed it home on the last lap. William Dunlop came third and Maria Costello just missed out on another podium in 4th.
Rutter crashed out at Ballacraine with a punctured front tyre.

Junior Classic TT, lots and lots of lovely two stroke 250's!
History was made today, for the first time ever a 250 two stroke cracked the 120mph mark on the TT course, Bruce Anstey doing the job as well as winning the race!
Michael rutter came in 2nd, on a replica of his dad's 750 Ducati and Ian Lougher came 3rd on another 250 two smoke. Haven't seen that many 2 strokes since 1987! Mr. Green

M Dunlop can't buy any luck at the moment, had to retire from both races, mind you he did get to ride the Gilera replica and did it at just over 100mph, same as Bob McIntyre in 1957! Cool

Today's proceedings were held up a bit, a spectator's bike had dropped it's oil at the bottom of Bray Hill. To his credit he went to race control and told them about it, so the track was cleaned before racing started. Thumbs Up

There was a parade lap for classic bikes, it was lead off by Cameron Donald on a Norton, I have to say that bike was doing its best to chuck him off, the handling looked 'orrid.

Sid v Fish HT

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:08 - 27 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No bikes today, could have gone to the Jurby festival but I had an idea it was going to be rammed, apparently it was. You can see most of the bikes around the island anyway.
Went in to Doglas had a look around the paddock to see some bikes being fettled and got to see that Gilera close up, it really is quite small.
Bought a new jacket at the trade stands then headed off around the coast for a picnic a nap and a spot of fishing. Finished the day off with fish ‘n chips and a pint on Peel harbour.

Gin then bed next, an early start tomorrow to bag a good vantage point for the races.
The Senior classic tomorrow and Bruce Anstey is going to be giving his Yamaha ex GP 500 2T some big handfuls, can’t wait!

Other news

Second Half:-
Fish 2 - Sid 12

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:39 - 28 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rain stopped play today, mist in the morning been chucking it down since 4pm. Hopefully racing tomorrow.

Other news:-

Fish 2 - 19 Sid.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:14 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A full race program today, the main race, the classic superbike TT, was won and lost in the pits, lap records were broken.
Watched again at Cronk-y-Voddy, it was extremely cold, it's supposed to be better weather for the rest of the week but I'm not holding my breath!
The classic racing is now over so the remaining races are all modern bikes.
More racing tomorrow!
Gin now, then bed.
More tomorrow!

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:35 - 29 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plater conked at the cronk. Did you witness the demise of the raucous (yet dead) Honda 6?

I listened in most of the day and followed where I could.
Quite surprised that they let the newcomers out at that time.
Rutter....Man's a ...well he's a man who seems competitive on whatever he rides...deserved the win.

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:29 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
Plater conked at the cronk. Did you witness the demise of the raucous (yet dead) Honda 6?

I listened in most of the day and followed where I could.
Quite surprised that they let the newcomers out at that time.
Rutter....Man's a ...well he's a man who seems competitive on whatever he rides...deserved the win.

We saw him go by from Cronk in a cloud of blue smoke (him, not us). Apparently he finally stopped at Sulby. Ahhh though, it was good while it lasted.

I'm posting this from Ballacraine, race was red flagged after 1 lap. Rider low-sided at Union Mills and took out a lamppost wile spilling fuel on the road! He's been ambulanced away with hurty legs. Just waiting for restart announcement, zzzzzzz

PS. Rutter? Oh yeah Cool

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:26 - 30 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sun made a prolonged appearance today, I actually thought about taking my jacket off at one point but resisted the urge.
Both the Junior and Lightweight were won and lost in the pits, the length of stops and pit lane speeding both playing a part.
As TSK said the Junior was red flagged after the leader, Royce Rowe, on a Triumph, crashed at Union mills, at the start of lap two. The race was restarted and ran over three laps. Bit of a downer for Michael Evans as he broke the lap record from a standing start on lap one, fortunately he did it again in the restarted race. Royce Rowe has been airlifted to the mainland, he has leg and arm fractures.
The Lightweight race was a close run thing but it was in the pit stops that the race was won. A TZ250 was holding third place but as well as getting a penalty for pit lane speeding conked out on lap 3.

Final race tomorrow, MGP Senior!

In other news:-

Fish 2 - 20 Sid
Tough day but managed to winkle out a very small coley!

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 06:22 - 31 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really enjoying this write-up Thumbs Up

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 31 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No racing today, final race, Senior MGP, is tomorrow, woo hoo, got a lie in and a fry up before leaving the camp site.
Sunny all day today, removed jacket but kept the other three layers on.
Went around to Ramsey to have a look at the sprint, watched for a while but none of the big boys cracked the 5 second barrier, they all seemed to have problems selecting gears on their runs.
I had a go at this back in the 80's, finished third in my class on my 350YPVS.
Had a wander round and an ice cream, the big boys sounded like they'd sorted out their gear selection problems.

Fish 3 - 20 Sid
A pitch invasion by a particularly stupid seagull stopped play Mad

In other, other news, it turns out replacing the batteries in you LED camping lights, increases lighting power no end, who knew. Doh!

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:30 - 01 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well today was the last day of MGP racing.
British weather returned to cold and dull, mist on the mountain meant a 2 hour delay to the race, we went back to Cronk-y-voddy to watch.
The leading riders came past on lap 1 at an unbelievable speed, I assume they were on slicks, with it being the senior, because they were taking a totally different line to all the previous races. The new line also meant that they were hitting a second bump, just prior to the bend as well as the bump on the crest of the hill, right on the apex of the bend!
Some amazing, flat out in top, bumped out of the seat cornering!
Mark Evans broke the lap record, from a standing start, then broke it again on lap 2 including slowing down for a pit stop.
Mark was always going to win he was just so fast, Barry Lee Evans finished second, he was a minute in front of third place, but he had to pit at the end of lap 3, one of his chain adjusters had come loose. He got out of the pits in 48 seconds so held on to second place, beating Dean Osbourne into third place.
There were plenty of 30 second penalties for pit lane speeding, which is odd because all the riders have the chance to calibrate their limiters, during practice.

Still one event to watch, a two day classic trial, will be having a look at that on Sunday!

BBQ on the beach tomorrow, weather permitting.

Other news:-

Fish 5 - Sid 20
High tides are now at the wrong time of day, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

More over the weekend

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 02 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some sunshine today, no early start, so a fry up in the morning.
We eventually meandered down to watch a section at the classic trial, lots of old trials bikes and old blokes riding them.
There were a lot of Fantics, Bultacos, Montesas, TY Yamahas, TLR Hondas, Beamish Suzukis, a Kawasaki, Ossas.
Among the British iron there were Triumph Tiger Cubs, Triumph twins, BSA Bantam powered bikes, an Ariel, a DOT and a Francis Barnet, there were loads of others I couldn't identify.
We watched a section through a brook and the climb out of it, didn't seem to trouble most of the riders, only saw one complete failiure and a couple of dabs, no one fell in the water.
Stayed at the trial for an hour then headed off to Port Erin for an ice cream.

We then headed off to Fleshwick Bay for more fishing and a BBQ on the beach, fresh steak, fried onions and mushrooms, crusty baguettes and some beer to wash it down! Cool

The final section of the trial is tomorrow evening, on the seafront in Peel, will be watching with a beer in our hands, fingers crossed.

Fish 5 - 24 Sid
Back in the game, could be the final score, all depends on the weather tomorrow.

More tomorrow.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:32 - 03 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The British weather made a comeback today, it's rained all day, rolling mist and gales.
Went down to Laxey to watch the classic trial, didn't see anything, there were huge waves crashing onto the breakwater and engulfing the lighthouse, on the end. gave up after half an hour and headed back to Peel.
Couldn't even get any fishing in!
Went to Crosby for a meal and a pint, back at tent now with beer!
Full review and thoughts of the whole event later in the week, when we get home!

TTFN!

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:23 - 07 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got home on Monday evening! Sad

I've done my fair share of TT's but have never been to the MGP before, so the last 2 weeks were all new to me and TSK.
So what's it all about then?
The Manx Grand is basically an amateur TT, obviously it's a stepping stone to compete in the full blown TT. There is no sidecar racing at the MGP, bit of a shame as I like watching the chairs.
The MGP is now combined with the "Classic TT", this is not an amateur event and a lot of the top road racers race classic bikes.
Once a rider has competed at the TT he/she cannot race in the MGP again but they can race in the "Classic TT".

The "Classic TT" is 4 races.
Senior Classic, mostly 500cc machines, 4 strokes, old Brit, Italian and Japanese racers.
Lightweight Classic TT, 250 two stroke race bikes.
Junior Classic TT, 350 four stroke race bikes.
Superbike Classic TT, 1980's 750 four strokes, a couple of older 1100's a couple of 500cc two strokes and a couple of rotary Nortons for good measure.

The Manx Grand Prix consists of:-
Two newcomers races, 600cc four strokes, R6's etc.
Junior MGP, 600cc four strokes, R6's etc
Lightweight, 650cc twins, same as the TT.
Senior, up to 1000cc twins, up to 750 fours and triples, in reality the vast majority used 600's a few triumphs a couple of 750's and a couple of Aprillas.

What did I make of it, well the only downer was the weather, it was freezing most of the time, we had a couple of days of sunshine but mostly it was cold, damp and misty.

I would describe it as what the TT was like in the 80's, a lot of different bikes on the course and on the roads, more variety in the races and fewer people clogging the roads up.
My last TT trip was a couple of years ago, (hadn't been for a while), and there were too many knobheads trying to kill themselves, people with no interest in the racing but turned up because it's now an "event", I went on my bike and said I wouldn't bother again.
I would take my bike to the Manx!
There's plenty to do, probably more than there is at the TT, Ramsey Sprint, drag racing at Jurby, Jurby festival, Classic 2 day trial, lots of Owners club events, concourse shows, free entry to paddock.
Easier to book the ferry and camping!

The racing is just as good as the TT and you can watch the racing from places that are normally rammed at the TT!

There were some great sights sounds and smells, mainly 2T, M Dunlop roaring past on the Gilera, Steve Plater on the Honda 6 at Cronk-y-voddy followed by a large cloud of smoke, the first ever 120mph lap on a 250 two stroke.

When I watched the ITV4 coverage from last year there was no MGP racing. Michael Evans smashed records from standing starts and won races. The senior race was red flagged at the start of lap 2, Royce Rowe, on a Triumph was leading but crashed at Union Mills, took out a lamp post which had to be made safe and removed, Royce had multiple fractures but survived. I assume the bike and not the rider hit the lamp post!

We stayed at the Peel campsite and it was a lot better than Glen Lough, good showers and loos, washing machines and driers, dish washing facilities, electric hook ups if required and free charging for devices, supermarket, pubs, food all within easy walking distance, we'll definitely be going again.

Would we go again, yes, no question, TBH we won't bother with the TT and just go to the MGP instead, all round it's just easier!

Fishing!

I know there's at least one other angler on here so here's what I was getting up to.
Not done a lot of sea fishing, I normally do fly fishing or coarse.
I mainly caught wrasse with the odd polock thrown in.
I thought I'd give the LRF thing a go, so I was using a 10ft spinning rod and fixed spool reel, at business end I was using jigheads or a weedless texas rig, 10g weight with different types of soft plastic lures, worms, shads etc.
Tried a few small metal lures but didn't have as much success with them.
The wrasse I was catching were not small, easily 2 pounders, and they fought like demons. The biggest fish I caught was a pollock on a metal lure probably around 3lb.
I fished at Port St Mary, Port Soderick, Fleshwick bay and Peel, all the write ups say Peel is the best spot but it was the worst place I fished.

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 05:28 - 07 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything I wanted to know, all in a few paragraphs - excellent!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 204 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1