Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Help needed from some experienced old heads :)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic : View next topic  

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:30 - 09 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

But then if the traffic is worse as you say and your still doing it years later it only means:

1, Your paid well to compensate, compared to someone doing the same work elsewhere?

2, Your job/industry and expertise/earnings potential only exists or is good in London, so you tolerate it?

3, Your a London city born and breed fool, that loves the dirty smoke, and its who you are and will be forever (self inflicted).

I've not read the whole thread, but nice of OP to come back with an update on how things worked out.

Oh and people talking about DAS reminded me of 20 years ago, just how much fun it was and was a really great experience. I was on a 1-2year old ER5, even rated the bike ok at the time!

One thing I do take from peoples views and comments, is that it can be total bullshit about passing your test on a 650cc whatever the law is now bike, and then not accepting or even entertaining the idea of ever buying a smaller bike after.

This might be true, if you just fancy bikes for fun and summer razzing around with your mates, like lots do. But there's so much bullshit written about bikes and what is good/bad on here. If it's all disposable cash for a toy biking, and you have mates with Fireblades, then some of the drivel could be accepted.

For anyone that wants bikes for other reasons, then capacity aint much of a factor or a consideration.

Oh and reading the advice from last year, I'm fucking clueless and shouldn't have an opinion about 2017 bike commuting its that alien to me. But right from the start the biggest view was only ever buy a bike for a hobby/fun/way of life etc. Don't expect them to be useful or an answer to your personal transport problems.

I do see that view and why some have it, but then what do you say to those people that have got onto two wheels and ride their scooter or bike to work every day, to spend more time at home with the family etc. Those people or some of them will chuck the bike in the shed every night and at the weekends go off and do their hobby or interests, which has nothing in the slightest to do with motorbikes. Are they doing it wrong? Are they acceptable in society?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:49 - 09 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Traffic on my commute has definitely gotten better in the last few years. It used to take me 30 in 35 out not it's more like 25 in ~28 out, I do not think I am any faster.

Nope; its cos that would be about the time I stopped riding to work and back (in front of you Laughing )
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 189 days between these two posts...

Stewdog
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:56 - 18 Mar 2018    Post subject: Final Update Reply with quote

Hey chaps, so i thought for all those who spent the time to reply to me in this thread i would give you one final update.

So i think i mentioned i was going back in for MOD1&2 after a year in the wilderness on my trusty little 125.

Well i found a new teacher (it pays to find the right one it appears) and i went through MOD1 & MOD2 in the space of a week before Christmas.

I went in and just was open about how things panned out last time, they understood, apparently its "very common" when you get rushed through. obviously really.

Anyway they built my confidence and tighten up my technique. I managed to squeeze through MOD 1 (much more rigorous challenge, mainly because i was sweating the whole way through it) if i'd relaxed it would have been as easy as it looks.

MOD2 was a breeze, a nice ride out with a guy from DVLA, i think test is almost the wrong word for these things they are just a demonstration of your ability to safely ride under complete control with awareness of the world around you.

researched a bit on bikes, but knowing i needed to put MPG and service costs at the top of my list, I ended up trying to decide between a Tracer and a NC700/750

found the Honda with just over a 1000 miles on it for the same price elsewhere as those with 10k on it, luckily no one wanted a white one it appears and the guy hadn't ridden much to justify keeping it.

my commute has gone from 2 1/2 hrs in the car to just shy of 50 mins, and i arrive with a smile on my face (despite the non bike snow days!) this winter.

So if i have any advice for a newbie.

take your time
find the right instructor for you.
get a cheap 125 put some serious miles in
Get Breakdown cover.
don't get rushed into anything by overeager bike sales people or schools.
see the tests as demonstrations of your skills not tests.
Ask for advice
and if you intend to commute heated grips!
get on the bike every day with a smile on your face not worrying about being somewhere at a certain time. take it easy.

thats quite a few points, anyway thanks to all those that gave me advice here and recommended different approaches, knowledge of routes and all the other stuff. it was invaluable.

cheers

Stew

Exile71
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:32 - 20 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use to commute by bike from Leeds Castle to Victoria. Its a bit further but pretty much the same. Your ride shouldnt take anywhere near as long as the train.

Worth taking into considering - The sheer amount of riding through traffic is actually very tiring. And you will be surprised how much more tired you will be once you get home.

I drive now which takes considerably longer but would rather keep my bike as a toy to enjoy being ridden.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:53 - 20 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: Final Update Reply with quote

Stewdog wrote:
Well i found a new teacher (it pays to find the right one it appears)

Did she swear you to secrecy? Was she one of those naughty teachers that I keep reading about in the red tops?

Stewdog wrote:
MOD2 was a breeze, a nice ride out with a guy from DVLA

Fake news, very bad.

Stewdog wrote:
i think test is almost the wrong word for these things they are just a demonstration of your ability to safely ride under complete control with awareness of the world around you.

Good point. Mod 1 is a test, mod 2 is really just an assessment.

Stewdog wrote:
NC700/750 [...] no one wanted [...] one

EFA. Razz

Nah, I jest, that's what they're for. I choose my dullest bike (the GS) for the commute quite often because it's just so competent and unchallenging. I imagine that applies in spades to the NC.

Glad to hear that you're done and dusted. Don't get acid-jacked now.

Oh... NC. Smart move. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 10 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4