BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Corfu

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

choogh
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 08:39 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: Corfu Reply with quote

Off to Corfu for a short break, . Anybody any idea on scooter rentals charges etc whilst there ? Advice welcomed.
👍
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:33 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hired scooters and a DR350 whilst I was there, don't remember it being very expensive. Nice place to ride.

I rented the scooters in Sidari, then got the DR from the next town east from there, about a 15 minute ride or cab journey. This is a link to the GSV looking at his bikes. There is a track behind, he let me try 2 or 3 bikes on it before I chose which one I wanted.
https://goo.gl/maps/QP7CP1Y3Y9o

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:05 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the end of the season so prices will be lower. It's not going to be expensive.

They do tend to all be very similar price-wise and there are loads of outlets. Just go in to one or two places, compare prices then make your choice.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:41 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to sidari

Sea was warm beer was cold

Anaconda is a cult film

Or was when we were there

Ask for Costa's and say yammas a lot
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:18 - 09 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of Corfu is a shithole - e.g. Kavos, with its Club 18-30 concentration camp. But further round the island there are some good places - like Paleokastritsa, where iirc there's a cheap scooter hire place called Spiro's.

https://www.paleokastritsa-bliss.com/item/spiros-bikes/

The ride from Paleo up into the quite mountainous hills has some ace views, and it's quite an interesting run north up to Agios Georgios.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:59 - 09 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
Some of Corfu is a shithole - e.g. Kavos, with its Club 18-30 concentration camp. But further round the island there are some good places - like Paleokastritsa

+1
IME I think in general the north of the island is great, but down south is a lot of shithole stuff. North-east is nice, but is known as "Kensington-on-Sea" for a reason

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:40 - 09 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually went to Kavos in the mid 90's, and that IMO was a while before shit hole status. It was quite nice in parts, and the bar's while tacky in places, were fun as was the 90's Dance music.

I think you'd have felt safer and more content in the place then, and if I had teenage kids at that time, id have not been so worried about them staying there.

Greece is or was then a nice and friendly country and in my experience many great holidays were had there too. Learned to scuba dive and absail there and just really had great times TBH.

Then again Greece wasn't in the state it is now, sad times!

Dabura
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:48 - 09 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to kavos about 7 years ago, got an aprilia rx50 for €20 a day.

Went to Crete last year and had a derbi senda 125cc for €25 a day(the mrs had a go..... Still have the end of the brake lever as a souvenir Laughing ) did about 300kms on it and it was amazing, came back from a trip out with the mrs on the back over the hills, went around a bend to be greated by 25 goats in the middle of the road.

Tried to rent a XT660X that was €30 a day but they wouldn't accept my European standard A2 licence, even though i did my test on a MT03 which is essentially the same bike.

https://i.imgur.com/67ZuTAM.jpg

Present: Kawasaki Z500-B

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:17 - 10 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dabura wrote:
Tried to rent a XT660X that was €30 a day but they wouldn't accept my European standard A2 licence, even though i did my test on a MT03 which is essentially the same bike.

https://i.imgur.com/Uz5Wf0c.gif

Homogenise the licensing, they said, it'll result in less confusion, they said.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:34 - 10 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that they were still building half of Kavos strip in 97 and there were lots of half finished concrete buildings soon to become bars and clubs, and the whole place felt somehow smaller and not OTT or a sleaze fest. The same a year later in Faliraki in Rhodes. Glad to have gone to both before they went full shithole.

Vaguely back on topic, I rented scooters and DTR125's or equivalent, for real exploring the many unsurfaced tracks and getting to remote beaches on. You shouldn't consider anything else, though today your trailie will probably be a 4stroke, if it ain't a Chinq then it's all good anyway.

suburban myth
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:02 - 13 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do hire one, make sure the fucking fuel gauge works. I rented one in Santorini last year and it ran out of gas so I had to push the fucker for about a mile in 35c sunshine. It was also a 'stroker and I forgot about letting it cool, so when I got it going again it eventually died again on me. Luckily I was outside another hire shop a coupla towns away who knew the guy I got mine from. He was gracious enough to swap the plug out for me (Italian multi-fit scooters all over the island) and advised me to ride it the 6 or so miles back 'without letting the revs die'.

Have a good look over anything you do rent, paying special attention to brakes, and if you're not happy reject it. Tick maximum insurance because excess can be horrendous - think 5000E and upwards.

choogh
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:46 - 14 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turned out rather well as it happens. A 3500km Paiggio Beverly, 300 cc of throbing power, single cylinder with a pick up to startle any Bandit riders..🤣
Everything works, ABS, Traction control and fuel gauge...
Paid 5% more than I should and 30% more than its worth, but a rides a ride and it's bloody good fun, on a superb island and roads.
To drive like a native, should be every riders goal....Dammed if I have the bottle..😱
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 196 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1