Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

07 Fazer 600 Cutting out while riding

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

LDenton
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:15 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: 07 Fazer 600 Cutting out while riding Reply with quote

Hi there,

I'm having issues with my 07 Fazer 600 that I'm struggling to diagnose. While I'm riding it the bike can tend to cut out, especially at low RPMs.

This can happen at any point while I'm riding, including at idle. Though it seems not to do it so much at higher RPMs. When it cuts out, sometimes it will revive itself a second or so later by re-igniting in a push-start fashion. Other times it seems to need to have the kill switch flicked on/off or be put into neutral. If I try using the electric start before using the kill switch (or neutral), the electric starter will do nothing.

Ideally I need to be able to diagnose and fix this cheaply, hence I haven't taken it to a mechanic. So I want to take all the steps possible that I can do with my moderate mechanic skills. Just based on what I've observed it looks like it may well be one of the safety switches, like the side stand or neutral switch.

Any help is greatly appreciated, and I may be able to add more information if it will help.

Willy_westside
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:55 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it is running is it ok or does it run rough?

I'd suggest booting it up in diagnostic mode (you can find out how by googling) but if memory serves you hold both buttons on the display when you turn the ignition on. Then have a look for fault codes.

From what you say it may be the side stand switch esp with having to get it back to neutral to restart. If it's running rough and misfiring before cutting out you could have a ignition coil that needs changing.

Good luck

LDenton
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:00 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's running smoothly, no roughness or choppiness. It just goes from running fine to suddenly not running Laughing

The side stand is the first thing I'm going to look at now, and will definitely look into diagnostic mode.

LDenton
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:44 - 19 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the side stand switch apart the other day and cleaned it up, including using a little abrasive paper on the copper contacts. They did look slightly tarnished, but not massively.

Does anyone have any other suggestions to check?

To add some more info, when the engine cuts out the power stays on. The instrument panel and associated lights still work normally (though no warning lights come on to suggest anything is wrong).

Also, yesterday it cut out at high revs; something it hadn't done before. Made for quite a lurch as the power cut out and then back in again.

Last edited by LDenton on 17:44 - 19 Apr 2017; edited 3 times in total

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:57 - 19 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah more than likely side stand. I remove mine as its usually a switch then shove something there to make it think the stand is up 24/7.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

LDenton
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:34 - 19 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I should have said; cleaning up the side stand has not had any effect on the issue. It hasn't improved or got worse. Of course, there could still potentially be an issue further up the chain with the side stand switch.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:43 - 19 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bridge the switch completely.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

LDenton
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:49 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I'm finally able to properly address the idea of bridging the switch and say that it hasn't helped. When I got the chance, I did as you suggested: I followed the switch wire up to the connector which links it into the wire harness and I bridged across the contacts.

It took some time of fiddling with it and doing test rides to be confident that it has not had any effect. The bike still cuts out intermittently. It still has good days and bad days; sometimes it runs perfectly (or almost) while other times it can go as bad as cutting out every 5 to 10 seconds. This is why it's hard to diagnose the problem, because it's very misleading!

So unless it's a problem further up the stream in the wiring harness or electronics then it doesn't seem to be the kickstand switch. Does anybody have any thoughts?

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:24 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check for bits for the wiring loom chaving against the fame, a little break in the insulation can cause a section of wire to turn to mostly green powder inside.

Check your batery is secure and not bouncing around, if it grounds the positive side on the frame it will cause a brief stall.

Clean your kill switch.

LDenton
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:24 - 10 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally solved the puzzle after over 6 months of suffering it!

I got a chance to test it on a quiet road one time when the bike went into its immobilised state. I held the starter button down (which would usually be unresponsive while it's in the immobilised state) while jiggling wires, messing with the gears, pressing buttons etc.

Nothing happened until ... I started moving the kill switch. I found that if I held the kill switch in a certain position the starter would respond and the bike would start. But if I let it drop back into its resting position the bike would cut out.

This was new for me because I had not been able to get such a stark indication of the source of the problem before.

I opened up the kill switch and found that there was a dead spot on the electrical contacts which had become corroded due to sparking. Cleaning it up helped to a degree. What's worked is applying several layers of tape to the side of the switch to push it across to the right and press the contacts together.

That was about two weeks ago and since it has been almost perfect. I think there's been one or two very brief cut outs, but otherwise it's been great.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 200 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1