Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Explain coil resistance to me.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 02:22 - 10 Sep 2017    Post subject: Explain coil resistance to me. Reply with quote

I've got a twin cylinder engine with a 360 crank. Both pistons up and down at the same time, alternate firing. It's got an AC feed off the alternator to the CDI box which feeds the coils. What I want to know is whether there's any difference running the two coils in series or parallel. The engine fires up and runs either way, but is there any reason why one way is better than the other?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:51 - 10 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: Explain coil resistance to me. Reply with quote

lingeringstink wrote:
I've got a twin cylinder engine with a 360 crank. Both pistons up and down at the same time, alternate firing. It's got an AC feed off the alternator to the CDI box which feeds the coils. What I want to know is whether there's any difference running the two coils in series or parallel. The engine fires up and runs either way, but is there any reason why one way is better than the other?

If the standard is series, putting them in parallel will reduce the primary resistance and draw a fair bit more current through the igniter.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:09 - 10 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: Explain coil resistance to me. Reply with quote

temeluchus wrote:
lingeringstink wrote:

If the standard is series, putting them in parallel will reduce the primary resistance and draw a fair bit more current through the igniter.

It'll also cause the coils to run at double the voltage, using double the current. They'll get hot and die pretty quickly most likely.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 21:27 - 10 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure about the alternate firing? The standard setup would be to trigger the spark at the crank and use wasted spark ignition.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:42 - 10 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not many bikes taking the trigger off the camshaft. CB100/125 single is one I recall, can't bring to mind any others.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:31 - 10 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Are you sure about the alternate firing? The standard setup would be to trigger the spark at the crank and use wasted spark ignition.

Yeah, it's both pistons up and down at the same time but one is on the exhaust stroke while one is on the combustion and there is a wasted spark, and it's triggered off a coil in the alternator which is on the end of the crank. I like that because it's the best setup for single carb.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:40 - 10 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you need two coils then? A single coil with twin outputs would suffice and it's still wasted spark.

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 02:10 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Why do you need two coils then? A single coil with twin outputs would suffice and it's still wasted spark.

Ah, well you see I've got an assortment of random coils to use. At the moment I'm using a Yamaha Banshee 350 coil which is twin lead but I don't know how old and knackered it is. I've also got a pair of brand new Chinese CA250 coils which I suspect are common fodder on a lot of Honda clones of all sizes. But having never used Chinese coils I'm not wanting to rely upon them yet. I've also got a coil off a 50cc thing that looks pretty much just like a Chinese 250 coil in a different casing.

But the best spark I've had so far was from a couple of old car coils I rigged up just to see what would happen. Great spark but they're quite big coils and hard to locate somewhere, so at the moment I'm using the old twin lead Yamaha coil until I can rig something else up.

Anyway, I've got assorted coils and spark and the engine runs so I'm not that bothered.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 218 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1