Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:34 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can advocate CBR600f's Thumbs Up

Cheap to buy (Sub £2k)
One of the cheapest to insure.
Not the most blisteringly fast out of the IL4 600 offerings but definitely adequate for UK road funtimez.
Literally run forever, regardless if you pour cement into the sump and throw bricks at it.
Big comfy seat. Easy on the wrists.
Suspension has some twiddly knobs as standard.
Not a criminal's first choice to have away and break down for ebay Thumbs Up

EDIT: In fact I may as well go whole hog and say VTR too:

All points above but add in that it's not an IL4 600 and it is the thirstiest bike known to the biking community. Ragging the hell out of it sees ~90miles to a tank.

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:36 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

haroman666 wrote:
I can advocate CBR600f's Thumbs Up

Cheap to buy (Sub £2k)
One of the cheapest to insure.
Not the most blisteringly fast out of the IL4 600 offerings but definitely adequate for UK road funtimez.
Literally run forever, regardless if you pour cement into the sump and throw bricks at it.
Big comfy seat. Easy on the wrists.
Suspension has some twiddly knobs as standard.
Not a criminal's first choice to have away and break down for ebay Thumbs Up

EDIT: In fact I may as well go whole hog and say VTR too:

All points above but add in that it's not an IL4 600 and it is the thirstiest bike known to the biking community. Ragging the hell out of it sees ~90miles to a tank.

I don't see how much difference the CBR600F is going to be from the fazer. Very little in it in terms of road performance and characteristics. It's still a bike that you need to give it some to get it moving all delivered very linearly. Different enough to swap bikes from and to, but not different enough when you're aiming for two bikes.

The VTR is a good shout though. It's certainly on my list of fun bikes to acquire. Just need to find one that isn't hundreds of miles away.

Moxey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:41 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my limited knowledge of the area I'm going to recommend a ZX9R mainly for the bang for buck value, ridden two of my mates (an F2 and a C1).

The F2 is the more sporty of the two (the C1 felt a little more spacious and comfy) and for a 2003 sports with 130+ bhp the prices are great for that sort of machine (my mates F2 is immaculate with only 12k miles, set him back £1500 last year) the other lads C1 was £1200 but that was in 2015.

Don't think there's anything particularly wrong with them reliability wise (other than some gearbox issues on the early models I understand) I think they are overlooked on the basis that they aren't quite as light or powerful as the competition.

I didn't necessarily find either to be lacking in handling or performance but then its way more than I would normally expect of a bike personally.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:33 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

el_oso wrote:
I don't see how much difference the CBR600F is going to be from the fazer.

I preferred an FZS600 to a CBR600F. It felt marginally quicker, but that might just be the lack of fairing and an engine tuned to deliver a bit lower down. The FZ6 is reportedly revvier than the old Fazer, so I'd expect it to be pretty much a wash with the CBR.

So, I agree, get something different.

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:54 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

el_oso wrote:

I don't see how much difference the CBR600F is going to be from the fazer. Very little in it in terms of road performance and characteristics. It's still a bike that you need to give it some to get it moving all delivered very linearly. Different enough to swap bikes from and to, but not different enough when you're aiming for two bikes.

I had initially interpreted the OP as looking for a sports ~600. Hence the VTR edit after I realised!

el_oso wrote:
The VTR is a good shout though. It's certainly on my list of fun bikes to acquire. Just need to find one that isn't hundreds of miles away.

10/10 would recommend if you're not too fussy about having trick suspension or brakes. It's a handful which makes it fun!

tadge
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:42 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: For fun Reply with quote

TL1000 S.

Should get a good one for your budget !

Bozzy.
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:02 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: For fun Reply with quote

tadge wrote:
TL1000 S.

Should get a good one for your budget !

Similarly I was just going to say an SV1000S.

https://images.mcn.bauercdn.com/upload/923/images/picture-1.jpg

Shinigami
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:47 - 13 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

el_oso wrote:
KTM Duke 640 could be had for around the 2k mark.

As you own the fazer I would be looking for either a litre bike or a supermoto. Rode a handful of sport derived 600 IL4's and they are all similar. Too similar to warrant another one as a second bike.

Sophs already looking at a ktm (250 though) for herself so I'll be able to ride that anyway so looking more for a ~litre sports probably. May pester pie roe for a go on his blade and pick one up if I likey

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:12 - 13 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't really not like a blade. They're likeable - it's what they do well. I would have liked one after my CBR6 but I was surprised at how much smaller they are, and I felt like a gorilla on the damn thing. Massive amount of grunt over the 6 though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 199 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2