Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Nsr125 just purchased with crank case full of mystery fluid

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

spitfire123
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:46 - 11 Sep 2017    Post subject: Nsr125 just purchased with crank case full of mystery fluid Reply with quote

Nsr 125

Just picked this up , guy said he'd owned it 4 days and was on the way home and it was pissing it down and the bike cut out, he was recoverd home and told by the recovery firm "wet electrics " leave it 2 or 3 days and it will stat.
3 months later I bought it with it still not staring .
Now somthing very worrying , he took the barrel off and took some photos , the crank case was full of liquid a reddish liquid , Now that's either gear oil gushing through the seals or he's been cranking it for hours on end and massively flooded it .
I've added the pic he showed me , surly it's not possible to flood it that bad ?
Btw he said he cleaned it all out and it still dident start ?
What do you lot think it could be ?

Stoker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:20 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did this guy look even slightly like a pixie, (in which case, your engine is full of unicorn cum) or did he look more like a pikey?

From your inchoherent statement/question, I have to ask....

1) how old are you,
2) do you know anything about bikes?

I ask these questions, not to belittle you, but to know how to ask further questions that may help you seek the knowlege you require.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:06 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: Nsr125 just purchased with crank case full of mystery fl Reply with quote

Sounds rather likely to be 2 stroke oil?
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:19 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had red 2 stroke before I'm sure.

I was thinking a leaking stroke system emptying out; but a long time since I've looked at one on the NSR.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:06 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, let's not do this all over again! Very Happy

(Also: Is posting twice in the General Chat section the same as posting once in Workshop? Wink )

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:45 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have had red gearbox oil, and occasionally 2 strokes specify ATF for the gearbox (friends race kart used this) which is also normally red

All the best

Katy

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:00 - 12 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
I've had red 2 stroke before I'm sure.

I have aswell.

Sounds like it needs stripping and draining so you can start fresh.. small bikes to have problems with at least. Thumbs Up

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:15 - 13 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to throw a spanner in the works, the NSR works with a geared oil pump that injects oil into the carb when the engine is running.

If the engine is not running I see no reason for two stroke oil to fill the crank case.

If it was running off premix then maybe but you fill the tank with neat petrol and the oil pump adds the oil as it runs, leave the tap on and you'll fill the crank with neat petrol Laughing.

Either way, whats the mystery fluid's viscosity like? Gear oil will be thicker than 2 stroke oil, oil is likely to get into the genny side via a poorly fitted starter motor. Is there any rust in there?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:10 - 13 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatefreak wrote:
Just to throw a spanner in the works, the NSR works with a geared oil pump that injects oil into the carb when the engine is running.

I was wondering if there could have been a problem with the gear system so it no longer sealed and pretty sure the tank is higher than the carb.

Thinking about it - on a still-in-warranty NSR I had it really badly flooded with petrol - presumably due to sticking float - as it was under warranty I let them deal with it and a couple of others bits while they were at it.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:27 - 13 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can the oil pump leak into the gearbox on these engines? If so I'd be checking shaft seals / shaft condition or the seal on the pump itself.

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:34 - 13 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

gearbox has its own gear oil and is sealed from the bottom end that uses 2 stroke oil.

There are two pipes leading into the oil pump housing, one going to the oil reservoir and the other the carb. Pull both off and blow down one whilst pinching the other?

I would still suggest inspecting the mystry fluid and trying to identify whether it's gearbox or 2 stroke?

I've seen both oils' red (R1 has a crank case full of lovely red engine oil that literally smells good enough to eat?!) but again, gearbox oil will be thicker than 2 stroke at lower temperatures...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:00 - 13 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatefreak wrote:
gearbox has its own gear oil and is sealed from the bottom end that uses 2 stroke oil.

Yeah I sort of know how a 2T works Rolling Eyes

The point I'm making is the drive for the oil pump usually comes from somewhere that runs in gearbox oil, either a gearbox shaft or from the primary drive, and therefore there is scope for leakage into the gearbox oil. I don't know what sort of pump the NSR uses but I have a feeling it's like the Suzuki ones where the seal is built into the pump, rather than the Yamaha practice of having the seal on the engine side of the drive shaft.

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:49 - 13 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about it, I'm not sure there is scope as the oil pump to leak into the crankcase as it sits quite high and does not pass through the genny cover 🤔.
I have an nsr engine sitting on my garage bench at the moment... can have a look see this eve...

I stand corrected... Looks like Looks sure could!

https://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj148/m1ck_t/case5.jpg

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:14 - 13 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally when the crank seal on the gearbox side fails, the gearbox oil gets sucked into the engine, normally producing a lot of smoke,
if there has been catastrophic failure of the seal possibly it could suck a large volume of oil into the crankcase, so first check the oil level.
Also check the coolant level.
After these two checks you should have a clue as to where to go next

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:47 - 13 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a seal failed on the pump

spitfire123
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:15 - 17 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right
Had the head off , barrelll off
Again there is fluid in the crank
It would seem to be coolant contamination to me .
Checked the gear oil level seems okay .
Drained it , was fresh .
Replaced it .
Now waiting on a top end gasket set , put all the top end in my wash tank and got all the crap and old gaskets off ready for the new ones .
The coolant was slightly low but it's been standing for 5 months and someone has tried doing the top end gaskets quite recently .
Thanks for all your inputs .

spitfire123
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:19 - 17 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Stoker"]Did this guy look even slightly like a pixie, (in which case, your engine is full of unicorn cum) or did he look more like a pikey?

From your inchoherent statement/question, I have to ask....

1) how old are you,
2) do you know anything about bikes?

I ask these questions, not to belittle you, but to know how to ask further questions that may help you seek the knowlege you require.[/quote/]

I do indeed .

Just putting the feelers out there because this was a bit of a weird one for me as it was also strange !
However if you look at the post above I would think a leaky head gasket .
Hopefully anyway !

spitfire123
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:55 - 17 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right
Had the head off , barrelll off
Again there is fluid in the crank
It would seem to be coolant contamination to me .
Checked the gear oil level seems okay .
Drained it , was fresh .
Replaced it .
Now waiting on a top end gasket set , put all the top end in my wash tank and got all the crap and old gaskets off ready for the new ones .
The coolant was slightly low but it's been standing for 5 months and someone has tried doing the top end gaskets quite recently .
Thanks for all your inputs .

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 08:38 - 18 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, let us know the final result

spitfire123
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 10:19 - 18 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tankie wrote:
Well done, let us know the final result

Just waiting on the anetha gasket kit to turn up .
Would you guys be putting the red high temp gasket sealent on the new gaskets for good measure?
Cheers
Spit
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 192 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3