Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What bike is the perfect commuter bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Davemc37
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:29 - 14 Sep 2017    Post subject: What bike is the perfect commuter bike? Reply with quote

I do 60 mile round trip each day from Essex to west London, half of it on a12/13 or m25 and the other half through central London.

I passed my test 2 months ago and got myself a 650 vsteom, and much as I love it and the height of it in particular it's just a bit on the large side for filtering and I find it a little susceptible to side winds at high speed although that might be the top box or my enormous head.

I'll probably keep the vstrom to next summer but I'd like to start drawing up a shortlist and doing a few test rides. I'd Be happy to spend around £4K max and would want something 2008 or newer. I don't think an out and out sports bike will suit my near 50 year old frame. I have access to secure underground parking.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:12 - 14 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big capacity bikes make the best commuters.

Fight me.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:12 - 14 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it wasn't for the Central London bit, I'd have said a Toyota Yaris diesel.

But I'd have to say now it would be either a) A house nearer your job or b) A job nearer your house.

Because a 60 mile daily commute round the M25 then into cental London is the path to madness and an early death from a stress-induced illness.

But if you insist on riding a motorcycle there, consider a triumph tiger. It's not too big to filter any more than your v-strom is. You just need to get better at it.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:50 - 14 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The V-strom 650 is as good a daily commuter as anything else that's reasonable to run and insure, and isn't shaft drive.

Why you want rid?
Is it because it'll be old enough for the ULEZ charge next year? If not I'd keep it.

You commuter types, soon realise that trying to work your way up your personal bike wants list, or getting something flash and exciting to ride, isn't compatible with daily commuter duties.

You'll want a second bike for either work, or for fun/best/tinkering etc.

Anything nice will probably get nicked one day, so don't tie up ££5-10k+ on a daily bike IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:20 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

For commuting, possibly the Honda NC750 / NC750x. Its as boring as any story with the word Kardashian in, but its somewhat practical, good fuel economy, and reasonably usable for filtering.

Just try not to fall asleep.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 00:40 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:
For commuting, possibly the Honda NC750 / NC750x. Its as boring as any story with the word Kardashian in, but its somewhat practical, good fuel economy, and reasonably usable for filtering.

Just try not to fall asleep.

Too uncomfortable, just buy a Deauville.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:03 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silverwing

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:31 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burgman 400

Loads of storage
Comfy
Not massive
Great weather protection

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:04 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends how much dual carriageway / motorway, but assuming very little and 90% town/city shit, I'd be into something like a cb250rs if a half decent one could be found.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:45 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug does a similar commute. I used to until I moved.

He rides a fazer - I wouldn't argue with that.

I've tried the commute on a cbr125, yzf600r, sv650, gsxr1000 and cbr250.

The two small cbr's were the best due to small weight, good turning circle, and narrow. The mirrors on the 250 are a pain. The lack of rubber for the 125 was the reason that bike didn't work out.
The GSXR1000 was a close 3rd. Light weight, lazy, but piss poor turning circle and expensive. I had secure underground office parking at work so wasn't too worried about theft.

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:47 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 months? Just give it a bit of time. Explore alternative routes. In central London stay away from roads that have been "enhanced" with cycle superhighways. The road design is beyond shit and fighting a powered bike through is so frustrating. There are so many back roads and unmolested little runs for motorcycles that it's madness to stick with crippled roads like Embankment at peak hours.

I don't know much about the vstrom, but it looks like an ideal commuter. Yes there are better bikes for filtering, but if it's comfy for the faster stretches I'd live with it.

My fastest filtering is done on a 600 sports bike with the mirrors folded in, but there's little point in filtering so fast that you're unable to stop when the inevitable lane changer tries to get you. A 50 year old won't bounce off the back of a Toyota Prius as well as a teenager on a scootay. Thumbs Up

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 09:05 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked at objectively, I'd have to say the NC750.

Unfortunately, they bore the shit out of me so I commute on a 1250 Bandit.

And jolly good it is too.

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:28 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsxr 1000 k4, because adrenaline before work makes 8 hours sitting behind a screen not so bad

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:40 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just need more experience.
Cool

Loui5D
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:42 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the Strom would be my recommendation (might be slightly biased as i have a 2015 model)

An SV650 wouldn't be a massive step away as the engines are the same but tuned different, cheap as well.

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:49 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, I'd have to say either a FZ6, Diversion, or similar. Good visibility, decent riding position, fairly narrow, good mirrors, accommodates a top box well. Also quick enough when you need it.

To give you a reference point, my SV is less windy at high speed and slightly narrower, but the other day I tried a simple maneuver round the car in fron to get into the middle to filter. I almost had to do a 3 point turn, whereas my FZ6 would have managed it no problem.

The inline 4s tend to be lower geared as well which can be good in slow traffic (less clutch slipping).

Doovy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:50 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

FZ1

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:04 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was a courier I had many different bikes under my butt at one time or another ranging from 125 to 750 in size and the hands down winner for London traffic and any jobs within about 40 miles of London was the rented CG125.

Cheap to run.
Bulletproof.
Easy to ride.
Faster than a Ferrari in London traffic.
Cheap insurance.

Bros 400 was pretty good but you'd never find one nowadays. Don't know why. They were good bikes.

Worst bikes were the multiple CX500's I went through because they were too hefty and awkward to lug about in London traffic all day long although it was good on the motorway. They were two a penny at the time.

The CBR6 was just pretty good at everything apart from being fairly expensive to keep going as it was in constant need of repair.

The most fun I ever had in heavy London traffic was on another rented bike, a little Honda 125 twin of some sort that was just a hoot to ride but probably too slow for distance work. It was a nippy little bastard that kept a constant smile on my face.

Probably spent more miles and arse hours on my MZ 250 than on any of them but I wouldn't wish an MZ on my worst enemy.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:23 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fireblade. If i could afford one i would use it every day

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:15 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fazer The Bastard wrote:
Pointless thread everyone is just going to say what they already have.

Enfield! Ninja 250! F650GS!

All of which do actually work well. Which is why I can't find a reason to change any of them.

Purely for filtering, I'd actually say the Enfield. No joke. They're as wide as the bars that you choose to fit, have a superb turning circle, and return 80mpg+.

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:47 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pompousporcupine wrote:
Fireblade. If i could afford one i would use it every day
I do, South London out almost to M25.

No luggage space, but most comfortable and flexible bike I've ever commuted on. I prefer not to use on wet days, for wear & tear only. Otherwise its damn near perfect. If I wasn't happy with a sports bike riding position, I would probably still have a litre bike, for the extra flexibility that engine provides than a revvy 600. In which case I'd go for the FZ1S or similar.

At the other end of the scale, my MSX125, for most of my commute I can (and do) keep up with anything, because it keeps going when the bigger bikes stop or struggle for gaps.

Brakes are shit, leading to some pant skidding moments, otherwise, it's a laugh. 70mph actual, top-end is hard work on the A3. But I only go on the 50mph section, which means I don't usually get swamped.

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:45 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

1999 R1.
Cheap as chips (for a litre bike), gentile below 8,000 rpm and more than capable of leaving skid marks when opened up Laughing

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:22 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a tradeoff between boredom and excitement, but more excitement also means more risk.

For such a long commute, I'd be looking to ride something comfy and somewhat boring, decent weather protection, and luggage space to keep waterproofs.

Shaft drive wouldn't go amiss, but belt drive would be just as good.

You'll never get a week out of a tank no matter what bike you get, but it would be nice to have a range that is just above an even multiple of the commute. So e.g. 110 miles would be a PITA.

In your shoes I'd probably get one of the NC7xx despite the chain, or a big scooter, probably more towards TMax than Burgman. I'd fit a blanket too. But this might hit your self-perceived image too much.

Doovy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:50 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatefreak wrote:
1999 R1.
Cheap as chips (for a litre bike), gentile below 8,000 rpm and more than capable of leaving skid marks when opened up Laughing

So it's a non-kosher bike? Neutral
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 196 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2