BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike gear

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

InkedMuttley
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 04:10 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Bike gear Reply with quote

Thought I'd see if anyone here can give me any recommendations as I am desperately in need of replacement boots. 2 months ago I paid £70 for some Richa Slick boots.

They're an ankle boot that are supposedly waterproof...That's bollocks, there only has to be a spattering of rain and your feet are pissed wet through. Also the quality is absolutely fucking dire, I've had them 2 months like I say and the left sole has completely gone through to the insole.

So yeh I need to replace them but I'm trying to find out if anyone can make some recommendations for a higher leg boot that's not too expensive for a start and that would fit the larger leg. I tried some Oxford boots a couple of days ago and they're built with Ethiopians in mind I'm sure.

Any help would be gratefully received!

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:35 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 months old? If they're that bad you should have a go at taking them back.

New boots. You'll get recommendations for army goretex boots at the value for money end. What's your limit moneywise?

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 08:48 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a set of richa slicks and my ones have been ok.
As JNW said I would be sending them back as they must be defective.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:51 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in a similar position, after recommendations around the £60 mark, hope you don't mind me joining in asking.

I've had Richa drift boots for the past three years they've done well but started leaking badly,

This pair were a warranty replacement for a warranty replacement, the first lasting just under a year, the second lasting only a few months!

I'm looking at Richa Zenith
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/95897

Dojo Denjo
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/232624

Oxford Hunter
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/276112

Trik Moto waterproof tour
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/253548

Anyone heard of Trik Moto or Dojo?

Are Oxford's boots as naff as their other products?

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:11 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never bought top of the range kit as I'm not made of money, so I can't speak from experience on that.
What can say is in all the years I've been riding bikes (a long time) , I've never ever known any boots to be a 100% waterproof a 100% of the time.

If anyone finds a set of boots that are, at a reasonable price, please let me know Thumbs Up

Landy10
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:19 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best thing for waterproof feet, sealskin socks.
Tried them and they are amazing, filled the bath with water put socks on and stepped into the bath, resulting in dry feet

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:21 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landy10 wrote:
Best thing for waterproof feet, sealskin socks.
Tried them and they are amazing, filled the bath with water put socks on and stepped into the bath, resulting in dry feet

true, but would need a fair few pairs if riding daily, that and my boots absolutely stink from the rain and road spray and take 3 days to dry out properly!

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:14 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can recommend Alpinestars SMX 5 and 6 both WP - waterproof version.

Used them in winter with not a drop of water inside Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:25 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

What can say is in all the years I've been riding bikes (a long time) , I've never ever known any boots to be a 100% waterproof a 100% of the time.

If anyone finds a set of boots that are, at a reasonable price, please let me know Thumbs Up

A* SMX5 WP - 4 years use all year round and only now it has a slight leak through right toe area and that's only because I have a habit of dragging my toes when crawling through traffic. Otherwise I'm sure they'd be good for another couple years.

Super comfortable and well made product. Zips and velcro still do their thing. Before winter sets in I'll be ordering the same again for the next 4 years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:52 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have the SMX-5 WP and have had for 6 years now. Ride all through the winter and never had wet feet. Never treated or even cleaned them either. Still very comfortable too.

Sure, they're more than you want to spend, but you probably won't be spending another £70 in 2 months time if you buy the A*'s Thumbs Up

InkedMuttley
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 04:12 - 16 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not so much reviews on waterproofing I'm after lol, it's recommendations on a dedicated bike boot that has a fairly wide calf. As for budget up to about £120 top end.

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:15 - 16 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
I've never bought top of the range kit as I'm not made of money, so I can't speak from experience on that.

My RST tractech were waterproof all the way up to when I threw them away because the sole had worn away. That involves 2 major crashes which they surived.

Regarding top gear I can't really comment I've got alpinestar sp-2 gloves that are falling apart and were after a month of purchasing.
I've also got a pair of tcx x-street wp. That are basically like trainers ankle boots. Which have survived several heavy storms and stayed dry.

My helmet cost me £500 it was the best one that fit and surived the crash pretty well into the side of a Renault scenic almost a year ago. Since replaced it with a new one obviously. A cheaper helmet could have saved me as well but do I really want to take that risk; not really. Image below of when it was involved in the crash.

https://i.imgur.com/99ZPx02l.jpg

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:40 - 16 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a few various different boots over the years.

These are my favorite for comfort and dryness.

https://www.getgeared.co.uk/merlin_motorcycle_boots_aragon_mens_wp_black?gclid=CjwKCAjwl_PNBRBcEiwA4pplRbcYO6JYefHZ4VXej9UFdHaiyP_18CDXfoYNZdb25CUDEidDL782YRoCVLEQAvD_BwE&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping_feed_gg17_228962170-18200086930

Used every day - all year round. And have no problem wearing them at my final destination as well. Very comfy.

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:39 - 16 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

InkedMuttley wrote:
It's not so much reviews on waterproofing I'm after lol, it's recommendations on a dedicated bike boot that has a fairly wide calf. As for budget up to about £120 top end.

Go and try few boots at the shop.

For me A* SMX 5 AND 6 are the most comfty boots ever. That is the main reason I use only A*.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:07 - 16 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpinestars Ridge WP Boots

I used them all year round for 2 years before I needed to get another pair.
Very comfy, very waterproof.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:41 - 16 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I've first posted here in 2005, I have mostly worn 2nd hand army boots, which are between £20 to £30 a pair, and I rub wax/dubbing in them occasionally, works fine for me. I then sometimes wear goretex gaiters over my boots and kevlar jeans to act as draught exluders, and keep the worst of the road spray off, waterproof trousers over the top when needed.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:43 - 16 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for the Alpinestars Ridge. Most waterproof part of my bike gear, excluding the helmet.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:29 - 16 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Since I've first posted here in 2005, I have mostly worn 2nd hand army boots, which are between £20 to £30 a pair, and I rub wax/dubbing in them occasionally, works fine for me. I then sometimes wear goretex gaiters over my boots and kevlar jeans to act as draught exluders, and keep the worst of the road spray off, waterproof trousers over the top when needed.

Are motorcycle specific boots not designed to only let your toes bend the correct way? A bit off in normal boots could leave you with some undesired movement of your toes! 👍

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:33 - 16 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
thx1138 wrote:

Are motorcycle specific boots not designed to only let your toes bend the correct way? A bit off in normal boots could leave you with some undesired movement of your toes! 👍

I wear MX boots off road, but otherwise don't think it's an issue to worry overly about.

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:51 - 16 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very happy with my "Black" brand Oxygen pair. Seem to of gone up slightly in price; think I only paid around £55-60 a few year's ago.

Still going strong, still waterproof and very comfortable for walking off the bike. Not the most amazing in terms of armour/bracing, but has the essential areas; mine have survived a few off-road tumble's and a 60mph slide and still have plenty of life left in them Thumbs Up .

https://www.ghostbikes.com/5037-black-oxygen-elite-motorcycle-boots.html

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:35 - 16 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:
pepperami wrote:

My RST tractech were waterproof all the way up to when I threw them away because the sole had worn away. That involves 2 major crashes which they surived.

Regarding top gear I can't really comment I've got alpinestar sp-2 gloves that are falling apart and were after a month of purchasing.
I've also got a pair of tcx x-street wp. That are basically like trainers ankle boots. Which have survived several heavy storms and stayed dry.

My helmet cost me £500 it was the best one that fit and surived the crash pretty well into the side of a Renault scenic almost a year ago. Since replaced it with a new one obviously. A cheaper helmet could have saved me as well but do I really want to take that risk; not really. Image below of when it was involved in the crash.

I can recommend TCX (used to be called oxstars) have a pair of suede ankle boots and a pair of leather normal boots, both lined with Goretex, both bought (reduced) for around £100 and both leave me with warm bone dry feet, in summer they are pretty cool too, boots and gloves are two things worth spending the money on to get goretex lined, I could put up with feeling chilly, but not hands or feet, given you use both to control the bike, comfort is paramount.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:37 - 16 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Analogkid wrote:
TheSmiler wrote:

I can recommend TCX (used to be called oxstars) have a pair of suede ankle boots and a pair of leather normal boots, both lined with Goretex, both bought (reduced) for around £100 and both leave me with warm bone dry feet, in summer they are pretty cool too, boots and gloves are two things worth spending the money on to get goretex lined, I could put up with feeling chilly, but not hands or feet, given you use both to control the bike, comfort is paramount.

Calm your autism.

Do you see how Shaggy has the same opinion with regards to the boots i suggested.

Do you see how Shaggy didn't quote my whole post and enlarge the name of the boot and chuck it in bold wrappers?

Marmalade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:45 - 16 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get some decent quality used ones.

Loads of stuff being sold by weekend warriors who are selling kit after 4 outings because they've changed bike and the boots no longer match.
Nobby the Bastard: How yo tell the difference between the actual japanese and her just screaming because she's had live fish stuck up her arse? [url=https://www.nicks-shop.co.uk/bcf-goodies-15-c.aspGet BCF stickers and things here[/url] Reflective helmet stickers - Legal requirement in france - Clicky
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 195 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1