Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Bike gear

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

InkedMuttley
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 01 Dec 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:10 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Bike gear Reply with quote

Thought I'd see if anyone here can give me any recommendations as I am desperately in need of replacement boots. 2 months ago I paid 70 for some Richa Slick boots.

They're an ankle boot that are supposedly waterproof...That's bollocks, there only has to be a spattering of rain and your feet are pissed wet through. Also the quality is absolutely fucking dire, I've had them 2 months like I say and the left sole has completely gone through to the insole.

So yeh I need to replace them but I'm trying to find out if anyone can make some recommendations for a higher leg boot that's not too expensive for a start and that would fit the larger leg. I tried some Oxford boots a couple of days ago and they're built with Ethiopians in mind I'm sure.

Any help would be gratefully received!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

jnw010
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:35 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 months old? If they're that bad you should have a go at taking them back.

New boots. You'll get recommendations for army goretex boots at the value for money end. What's your limit moneywise?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ColinK98
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 27 Jun 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:48 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a set of richa slicks and my ones have been ok.
As JNW said I would be sending them back as they must be defective.
____________________
PCX125 (stolen) - CBF600 (current)
Ride it like you stole it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jan 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:51 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in a similar position, after recommendations around the 60 mark, hope you don't mind me joining in asking.

I've had Richa drift boots for the past three years they've done well but started leaking badly,

This pair were a warranty replacement for a warranty replacement, the first lasting just under a year, the second lasting only a few months!

I'm looking at Richa Zenith
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/95897

Dojo Denjo
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/232624

Oxford Hunter
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/276112

Trik Moto waterproof tour
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/253548

Anyone heard of Trik Moto or Dojo?

Are Oxford's boots as naff as their other products?
____________________
Looking to pass your CBT / Bike tests in Bury Lancashire? try www.focusridertraining.co.uk Would recommend.
They're also on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Focus-Rider-Training/196832923734251
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:11 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never bought top of the range kit as I'm not made of money, so I can't speak from experience on that.
What can say is in all the years I've been riding bikes (a long time) , I've never ever known any boots to be a 100% waterproof a 100% of the time.

If anyone finds a set of boots that are, at a reasonable price, please let me know Thumbs Up
____________________
I am the sum total of my own existence, what went before makes me who I am now!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Landy10
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 10 Apr 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:19 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best thing for waterproof feet, sealskin socks.
Tried them and they are amazing, filled the bath with water put socks on and stepped into the bath, resulting in dry feet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jan 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:21 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landy10 wrote:
Best thing for waterproof feet, sealskin socks.
Tried them and they are amazing, filled the bath with water put socks on and stepped into the bath, resulting in dry feet


true, but would need a fair few pairs if riding daily, that and my boots absolutely stink from the rain and road spray and take 3 days to dry out properly!
____________________
Looking to pass your CBT / Bike tests in Bury Lancashire? try www.focusridertraining.co.uk Would recommend.
They're also on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Focus-Rider-Training/196832923734251
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Val
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:14 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can recommend Alpinestars SMX 5 and 6 both WP - waterproof version.

Used them in winter with not a drop of water inside Thumbs Up
____________________
Adrian Monk: Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not...
http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-uk/525517.png
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:25 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

What can say is in all the years I've been riding bikes (a long time) , I've never ever known any boots to be a 100% waterproof a 100% of the time.

If anyone finds a set of boots that are, at a reasonable price, please let me know Thumbs Up


A* SMX5 WP - 4 years use all year round and only now it has a slight leak through right toe area and that's only because I have a habit of dragging my toes when crawling through traffic. Otherwise I'm sure they'd be good for another couple years.

Super comfortable and well made product. Zips and velcro still do their thing. Before winter sets in I'll be ordering the same again for the next 4 years.
____________________
GSXR 600 K6 - Stolen
GSXR 600 K6 - Stolen
MT09 - Almost stolen
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

J4mes
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:52 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have the SMX-5 WP and have had for 6 years now. Ride all through the winter and never had wet feet. Never treated or even cleaned them either. Still very comfortable too.

Sure, they're more than you want to spend, but you probably won't be spending another 70 in 2 months time if you buy the A*'s Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

InkedMuttley
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 01 Dec 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:12 - 16 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not so much reviews on waterproofing I'm after lol, it's recommendations on a dedicated bike boot that has a fairly wide calf. As for budget up to about 120 top end.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:15 - 16 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
I've never bought top of the range kit as I'm not made of money, so I can't speak from experience on that.
What can say is in all the years I've been riding bikes (a long time) , I've never ever known any boots to be a 100% waterproof a 100% of the time.

If anyone finds a set of boots that are, at a reasonable price, please let me know Thumbs Up


My RST tractech were waterproof all the way up to when I threw them away because the sole had worn away. That involves 2 major crashes which they surived.

Regarding top gear I can't really comment I've got alpinestar sp-2 gloves that are falling apart and were after a month of purchasing.
I've also got a pair of tcx x-street wp. That are basically like trainers ankle boots. Which have survived several heavy storms and stayed dry.

My helmet cost me 500 it was the best one that fit and surived the crash pretty well into the side of a Renault scenic almost a year ago. Since replaced it with a new one obviously. A cheaper helmet could have saved me as well but do I really want to take that risk; not really. Image below of when it was involved in the crash.

http://i.imgur.com/99ZPx02l.jpg
____________________
CB125>CG125>GN125>ER5>K100RS>R1100RS>K100RS
A2 completed 23/07/15 Ready for the Golden Crisp Packet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Hawkeye1250FA
Nearly there...



Joined: 14 Oct 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:40 - 16 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a few various different boots over the years.

These are my favorite for comfort and dryness.

http://www.getgeared.co.uk/merlin_motorcycle_boots_aragon_mens_wp_black?gclid=CjwKCAjwl_PNBRBcEiwA4pplRbcYO6JYefHZ4VXej9UFdHaiyP_18CDXfoYNZdb25CUDEidDL782YRoCVLEQAvD_BwE&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping_feed_gg17_228962170-18200086930

Used every day - all year round. And have no problem wearing them at my final destination as well. Very comfy.
____________________
1993 RF400R - 2002 Bandit 1200 - 2012 1250 FA
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Val
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:39 - 16 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

InkedMuttley wrote:
It's not so much reviews on waterproofing I'm after lol, it's recommendations on a dedicated bike boot that has a fairly wide calf. As for budget up to about 120 top end.


Go and try few boots at the shop.

For me A* SMX 5 AND 6 are the most comfty boots ever. That is the main reason I use only A*.
____________________
Adrian Monk: Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not...
http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-uk/525517.png
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:07 - 16 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpinestars Ridge WP Boots

I used them all year round for 2 years before I needed to get another pair.
Very comfy, very waterproof.
____________________
Hugs and kisses, CaNsA
<= Rainpal Is A Scam - http://rainpal.bid => ~#~ <= Adam Aarons will steal your money. - http://rainpal.exposed => ~#~ <= Official Adam Aarons Rainpal Scam Blog - http://rainpal.fail =>
<<<===--- CLICK HERE TO BUY RAINPAL NOW ---===>> Official Adam Aarons Soundboard - http://notagrownman.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:41 - 16 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I've first posted here in 2005, I have mostly worn 2nd hand army boots, which are between 20 to 30 a pair, and I rub wax/dubbing in them occasionally, works fine for me. I then sometimes wear goretex gaiters over my boots and kevlar jeans to act as draught exluders, and keep the worst of the road spray off, waterproof trousers over the top when needed.
____________________
The last post was made 13 years, 260 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
Honk your horn if you read my sig
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:43 - 16 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for the Alpinestars Ridge. Most waterproof part of my bike gear, excluding the helmet.
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition, 28 of 200
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Hawkeye1250FA
Nearly there...



Joined: 14 Oct 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:29 - 16 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Since I've first posted here in 2005, I have mostly worn 2nd hand army boots, which are between 20 to 30 a pair, and I rub wax/dubbing in them occasionally, works fine for me. I then sometimes wear goretex gaiters over my boots and kevlar jeans to act as draught exluders, and keep the worst of the road spray off, waterproof trousers over the top when needed.


Are motorcycle specific boots not designed to only let your toes bend the correct way? A bit off in normal boots could leave you with some undesired movement of your toes! 👍
____________________
1993 RF400R - 2002 Bandit 1200 - 2012 1250 FA
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:33 - 16 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
thx1138 wrote:
Since I've first posted here in 2005, I have mostly worn 2nd hand army boots, which are between 20 to 30 a pair, and I rub wax/dubbing in them occasionally, works fine for me. I then sometimes wear goretex gaiters over my boots and kevlar jeans to act as draught exluders, and keep the worst of the road spray off, waterproof trousers over the top when needed.


Are motorcycle specific boots not designed to only let your toes bend the correct way? A bit off in normal boots could leave you with some undesired movement of your toes! 👍


I wear MX boots off road, but otherwise don't think it's an issue to worry overly about.
____________________
The last post was made 13 years, 260 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
Honk your horn if you read my sig
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

-Matt-
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Apr 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:51 - 16 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very happy with my "Black" brand Oxygen pair. Seem to of gone up slightly in price; think I only paid around 55-60 a few year's ago.

Still going strong, still waterproof and very comfortable for walking off the bike. Not the most amazing in terms of armour/bracing, but has the essential areas; mine have survived a few off-road tumble's and a 60mph slide and still have plenty of life left in them Thumbs Up .

http://www.ghostbikes.com/5037-black-oxygen-elite-motorcycle-boots.html
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Analogkid
Nova Slayer



Joined: 20 Jul 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:35 - 16 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:
pepperami wrote:
I've never bought top of the range kit as I'm not made of money, so I can't speak from experience on that.
What can say is in all the years I've been riding bikes (a long time) , I've never ever known any boots to be a 100% waterproof a 100% of the time.

If anyone finds a set of boots that are, at a reasonable price, please let me know Thumbs Up


My RST tractech were waterproof all the way up to when I threw them away because the sole had worn away. That involves 2 major crashes which they surived.

Regarding top gear I can't really comment I've got alpinestar sp-2 gloves that are falling apart and were after a month of purchasing.
I've also got a pair of tcx x-street wp. That are basically like trainers ankle boots. Which have survived several heavy storms and stayed dry.

My helmet cost me 500 it was the best one that fit and surived the crash pretty well into the side of a Renault scenic almost a year ago. Since replaced it with a new one obviously. A cheaper helmet could have saved me as well but do I really want to take that risk; not really. Image below of when it was involved in the crash.

http://i.imgur.com/99ZPx02l.jpg


I can recommend TCX (used to be called oxstars) have a pair of suede ankle boots and a pair of leather normal boots, both lined with Goretex, both bought (reduced) for around 100 and both leave me with warm bone dry feet, in summer they are pretty cool too, boots and gloves are two things worth spending the money on to get goretex lined, I could put up with feeling chilly, but not hands or feet, given you use both to control the bike, comfort is paramount.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:37 - 16 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Analogkid wrote:
TheSmiler wrote:

My RST tractech were waterproof all the way up to when I threw them away because the sole had worn away. That involves 2 major crashes which they surived.

Regarding top gear I can't really comment I've got alpinestar sp-2 gloves that are falling apart and were after a month of purchasing.
I've also got a pair of tcx x-street wp. That are basically like trainers ankle boots. Which have survived several heavy storms and stayed dry.

My helmet cost me 500 it was the best one that fit and surived the crash pretty well into the side of a Renault scenic almost a year ago. Since replaced it with a new one obviously. A cheaper helmet could have saved me as well but do I really want to take that risk; not really. Image below of when it was involved in the crash.

http://i.imgur.com/99ZPx02l.jpg


I can recommend TCX (used to be called oxstars) have a pair of suede ankle boots and a pair of leather normal boots, both lined with Goretex, both bought (reduced) for around 100 and both leave me with warm bone dry feet, in summer they are pretty cool too, boots and gloves are two things worth spending the money on to get goretex lined, I could put up with feeling chilly, but not hands or feet, given you use both to control the bike, comfort is paramount.


Calm your autism.

Do you see how Shaggy has the same opinion with regards to the boots i suggested.

Do you see how Shaggy didn't quote my whole post and enlarge the name of the boot and chuck it in bold wrappers?
____________________
Hugs and kisses, CaNsA
<= Rainpal Is A Scam - http://rainpal.bid => ~#~ <= Adam Aarons will steal your money. - http://rainpal.exposed => ~#~ <= Official Adam Aarons Rainpal Scam Blog - http://rainpal.fail =>
<<<===--- CLICK HERE TO BUY RAINPAL NOW ---===>> Official Adam Aarons Soundboard - http://notagrownman.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Marmalade
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:45 - 16 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get some decent quality used ones.

Loads of stuff being sold by weekend warriors who are selling kit after 4 outings because they've changed bike and the boots no longer match.
____________________
Nobby the Bastard: How yo tell the difference between the actual japanese and her just screaming because she's had live fish stuck up her arse?Get BCF stickers and things here Reflective helmet stickers - Legal requirement in france - Clicky
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: discovery (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 0.88 - MySQL Queries: 17 - CDN Objects: 50 - Page Size: 134.03 Kb