Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Does your helmet fit correctly?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 10:31 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Does your helmet fit correctly? Reply with quote

Just picked up a new Arai Chaser x to replace my Chaser Samurai and was surprised that after 25 years of wearing Arais they have changed the shell sizes so I now need an XL not a L.
I need to give it time to settle in but may have to get a 12mm interior and 25mm cheek pads to get the perfect fit which made me think about helmet sizing.
Arai believe that around 90% of riders use a helmet that is too big for them so how many of you have a helmet that doesn't fit?

Symptoms include the helmet rising at speed, being able to rotate your head to any degree inside the helmet etc.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:41 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a nightmare finding a helmet that fitted my weird shaped head, when i first started riding earlier this year, i was using a unnamed helmet i bought a few years back for doing trackdays in my old Celica, but that was only ever short stints on track, and wearing it for anything longer than about 30 mins give me headaches, so i went to a CMC in Chesterfield and had one of their sales staff fit me for a helmet, we tried on about a dozen different helmets from many different brands and in various sizes, and the only one that fitted and felt snug with no pressure applied to my forehead was a Shard SKWAL/D-SKWAL

As a 2nd opinion i went to a different shop and got the same result, albeit using a smaller but different range of helmets

I was shocked at how different all the different brands were (and how different same brand/different models were), both in fitment and in sizing, some brands XL was the perfect size, some L, and some XL's i couldn't even get my head through the opening

So i am pretty confident i have a correct fitting helmet, but my choices are fairly limited due to my oddly shaped noggin

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:43 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends on helmet, and my current hair cut

If I shave my head, which I normally do, I often wear a tight fitting beanie hat under my helmet

Got one helmet that is 8 years old, and I probably ought not to use, but I still do sometimes, as it's the only one with a pin lock
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:47 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably should replace my cheek pads

Landy10
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:16 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that only AGV really fit my head, HJC is close but in XL which I need it feels a smidge loose compared to the AGV.
Currently wearing the gt veloce and its like riding in widescreen compared to the others, that extra 15 degrees peripheral makes a huge difference Shocked

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:26 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made sure mine was "too small" when it was new. After about 18 months I still can't chew gum whilst wearing it without biting the inside of my cheeks. It's only when I put my old one on that I realised how sloppy it had got and I probably should have changed it a year or two earlier
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:11 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: Does your helmet fit correctly? Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
I now need an XL not a L.

All that workshop karma has gone to your head.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 12:21 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: Does your helmet fit correctly? Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
All that workshop karma has gone to your head.

Only slightly, I need the thicker pads Wink

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:23 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: Does your helmet fit correctly? Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

Symptoms include the helmet rising at speed, being able to rotate your head to any degree inside the helmet etc.

Way past fitting if you have any of these IMO

The fit should be snug. So snug you can't put a finger between padding on your forehead. You also need to feel there is no free space on top of your head or cheeks.

Different brands do different shapes. My head is mostly Shoei/Xlite shape.

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 13:35 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to have an incorrectly sized helmet before, too big, could move my head a lot inside the helmet and didn't even realise this was a bad thing.

Now I have a new helmet, and at first it would squish my face somewhat uncomfortably. After breaking it in for months it's comfortable and the pressure points I had before have disappeared and I cant move my head inside the helmet at all, sort of feels "part of my head" if that makes sense and is no longer uncomfortable but is firm.

I guess the same is true of leathers... Or any bike gear for that matter.

If the size is right it'll be a bit too tight, and once its broken in it should fit comfortably.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:34 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meef wrote:

If the size is right it'll be a bit too tight, and once its broken in it should fit comfortably.

^ This is what I've found. If a new helmet feels comfortable, then it probably doesn't fit.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:02 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

90% of people Aria market researched said..... Smile

That is a massive estimate. I would have thought 50% unreasonable.

I have never bought a helmet and the guy/gal not ensured it fitted me properly.

(And I know who to fit a helmet.)

Unless the 90% is made of of people who buy on-line and don't have a Scooby what a correct fit is.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 19:26 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
90% of people Aria market researched said..... Smile

This was in a Jay Leno's garage episode and the chap from Arai was talking about people who approached an Arai stand who already owned an Arai crash helmet so was more than likely true.
He also ssuggested that it was the shops fault with lack of training because as soon as someone says 'this one is fine' they have a sale so no not due to online sales.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:31 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: Does your helmet fit correctly? Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
I need the thicker pads Wink

You're a real bleeder, huh? Thinking

Last edited by RhynoCZ on 20:36 - 15 Sep 2017; edited 1 time in total

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:54 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been through half a dozen or so lids since I started riding, and must have tried over 50 on by now from all of the major brands, in various shops and trade stands. I've still never found a helmet that feels like it fits properly, or is comfortable for any decent length of time.

Genuinely got an odd shaped head.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:20 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My lid is marked L, my head circumference is 59cm. HJC state that L is 59-60cm, and it does feel "undersnug". I guess if I had a balaclava it'd be spot on.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:25 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
My lid is marked L

Are you sure you're not just putting a Lidl carrier bag on your head?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:29 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to think of it, it is quite noisy at speed...
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:33 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: Does your helmet fit correctly? Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Arai believe that around 90% of riders use a helmet that is too big for them so how many of you have a helmet that doesn't fit?

I have a Shark Skwal - that I ended up with, in exchange for, another helmet after I argue'd the toss to get it returned - that doesn't fit right but, I seem to recall, did in the shop when I tired it on. I wore a balaclava during the biding in process - because it was winter - and can only assume that caused the pads to bed in with the slight extra thickness of which, obviously, made all the difference. I could wear a balaclava, and that helmet, during winter but I've never got along with the fact that it needs additional thickness to fit right: seems to me that it would just slide of my head if I crash.

So, yes, I do have a helmet that doesn't fit but don't ride with it: the Skwal's rubbish anyway.

My current one fits perfect but tries to kill me, through poor visibility, when it rains and I'm doing 30 mph or below.

I've given in funding the collection to try and find the perfect one.
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

trevoriv
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:48 - 16 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm disappointed with the lack of nob jokes in this thread.

I've got a long narrow head like a horse so I'm generally in the small or sometimes xs sizes but not many of the major brands fit my narrow bonce well. I found Suomy fit well though and I tend to get a small or sometimes a medium. At the moment I've got a spec 1r shell small with medium insert.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:44 - 16 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes!

HTH

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:44 - 16 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No!

HTH

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:21 - 16 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste?

HTH

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:26 - 16 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a HJC in XL, which fits quite well. But it is old, and I'm not looking forward to helmet shopping.

As a 4-eyes I sometimes struggle to find lids where my specs sit correctly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 195 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2