Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:54 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doovy wrote:
skatefreak wrote:
1999 R1.
Cheap as chips (for a litre bike), gentile below 8,000 rpm and more than capable of leaving skid marks when opened up Laughing

So it's a non-kosher bike? Neutral

Maybe it rips the end of your nob off above 8K?

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:13 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The City Bike 250 Racing Single.

https://i.imgur.com/mxYbAt2.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

techathy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:19 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything is going to be a compromise. I generally commute on a R1200RS or Zero FXS6.5. They both excel in one part of the commute but neither are perfect commute bikes.

Compare the R1200 to the FXS. The BMW lacks the agility of the Zero and feels like a 230kg bike in heavy traffic. On fast roads, however, it's accomplished and simply takes everything n it's stride without putting any stress on the rider. The Zero lacks the weight and stability of the R1200 on faster roads, as well as being a little low on top speed. it also suffers a lot from having no wind or weather protection making it very draining to ride once above 40mph on relatively straight roads. That said, in town its agility, weight (or rather lack of) and no clutch make it much easier to make progress in heavy traffic.

I still think the best bike for an all-round mixed back road, dual carriageway and urban commute I've ridden is the KTM RC400. The GSX-S1000FA would be first if it was fitted with a wide ratio gearbox, unfortunately it's got a close ratio gearbox making 1st too tall and 6th too short... so I bought got the R1200RS instead.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:41 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever is cheapest, in decent nick, cheap to insure and something that I would not be very precious about. Narrower sporty(er) bike for better filtering, if the majority of the commute is filtering.

The Strom seems like a decent choice though, although being a bit of a boat you will just have to accept you cant make all the gaps.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:20 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
The City Bike 250 Racing Single.

https://i.imgur.com/mxYbAt2.jpg

I already said that.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:19 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned I do Hornchurch to South Ken every day. I see a few v-stroms, might even see you on the road every now and then.

I've done it regularly on a cbr600f, an xj900 diversion, a vfr800 vtec, and a fzs600 Fazer. I've done it once or more on a cbr125, an sv650, and a 2t Tuono 125.

It takes pretty much exactly the same time on all of those bikes, the speed is in the rider not the bike.

My current Fazer is pretty good as it's narrow and has a really good turning circle. I think it's the best bike I've had yet for getting through standing traffic.

The Diversion was nice because shaft.

The CBR600 had no mirrors and clip-ons, so really tore through traffic until it got very tight, the turning circle let it down once at walking speed or less.

I like a noisey pipe, good in tunnels to get cars moving, better for pedestrians between traffic. Near useless for cars outside of tunnels for the most part, you'll achieve more by planning better than revving the bike at cars.

Don't buy a vtec vfr800, they suck!

Mart_er6
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:37 - 16 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: What bike is the perfect commuter bike? Reply with quote

Davemc37 wrote:
I do 60 mile round trip each day from Essex to west London, half of it on a12/13 or m25 and the other half through central London.

I'd Be happy to spend around £4K max and would want something 2008 or newer. I don't think an out and out sports bike will suit my near 50 year old frame. I have access to secure underground parking.

I'll be totally biased and say consider a Sprint ST1050!

Good on the A roads and motorways, can fit top box and panniers, plenty enough go for the motorway, quite narrow so quite good for filtering (without panniers) as no big side exhaust and mirrors barely wider than bars. Only downside is it's quite heavy (though not excessively so, just not like a 600) so perhaps not the most agile in the city.. should be able to get a reasonable one for £4k

Davemc37
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:09 - 16 Sep 2017    Post subject: As the op it's probably worth clarifying a couple of things Reply with quote

1. No matter what the question the answer for me at least will never be a scooter,

2. It's a 30 mile each way trip 15 miles city,15 miles a roads or motorways

3. The truliumph st Is probably the best answer so Far but is it worth an extra 40% on my petrol bill AA the vstrom is averaging 50+ mpg

4. Isn't the London mayor bringing in some shut next year about nothing earlier than a 2008 bike?

Mart_er6
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:36 - 17 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: As the op it's probably worth clarifying a couple of thi Reply with quote

Davemc37 wrote:

3. The truliumph st Is probably the best answer so Far but is it worth an extra 40% on my petrol bill AA the vstrom is averaging 50+ mpg

The Sprint ST1050 will do about 50mpg on long motorway/A-road journeys. My long term average (shortish 18 mile commute, half on motorway) is 44mpg.

Also, it is supremely stable at motorway speeds, fairing does its job very well. Though stock screen too short for many..

edit: it's perhaps also not top of thieves 'must steal' list which may be a good thing for london commutes?

Last edited by Mart_er6 on 12:41 - 17 Sep 2017; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:39 - 17 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good turning circle cannot be underestimated in my opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 215 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2