Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Zzr600 (2001) starting problem

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tonyg1987
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:04 - 16 Sep 2017    Post subject: Zzr600 (2001) starting problem Reply with quote

Hey guys I'm having a problem with my bike, it WILL not start first time. At first I thought it was the battery but it now has a brand new one fitted and still the problem continues. It only happens on a cold start, and happens with or with choke. It will make a sound like it's trying to start but the battery is dead, so I turn the ignition off, leave it 10 seconds and try again and it always starts second attempt with a bit of throttle. Once started, I can turn it off and the bike will restart every time after that. I set the petrol switch in the off position overnight, I have no idea if that has anything to do with it, but I have to because the bike floods and will make a bang/explosion sound if left for a long time with the petrol on. Any ideas? I'm due to get the carbs balanced, have the plugs changed and check if the fuel mixture is set right, but I'm at a loss here, I'm just repairing stuff at random until I find the problem.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:37 - 16 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: Zzr600 (2001) starting problem Reply with quote

Tonyg1987 wrote:
It will make a sound like it's trying to start but the battery is dead,

So, does the engine turn over or not? Does it just turn over slowly?

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:28 - 16 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave the tap set to ON
Try it.
Replace fuel filter
Clean the carbs before you get them balanced
Replace the HT leads

That's what I would try, in that order.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:24 - 17 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something that's on my mind and haven't been mentioned yet, check the choke is actually working. I have experienced this before, the choke cable was slack and wouldn't apply the choke fully. Very hard to cold start the engine. I even started to use ether, for the bike not to get high.

Tonyg1987
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:33 - 17 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: Zzr600 (2001) starting problem Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Tonyg1987 wrote:
It will make a sound like it's trying to start but the battery is dead,

So, does the engine turn over or not? Does it just turn over slowly?

Instead of a constant turn over its more like it makes the noise once then goes dead

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:30 - 17 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the battery is ok then check the connections at the other ends of the battery leads.

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:16 - 17 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd focus on fixing the flooding issue first imo. Get the carbs off, give them a clean, but also inspect the needles, seats etc.

When it does start, does it run on 3 cylinders for a bit?

Find out which cylinder/s is flooding. Should help get an idea of what's wrong when you have the carbs off.

If it clicks and doesn't turn, sounds to me like it's the flooding that's the problem.

I know cos I have the same issue on my 9R. Just haven't got round to fixing it yet.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 215 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1