Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

91 ZZR 600: rear hub/wheel/swing arm affair

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ayup_Mi-Duck
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:07 - 17 Sep 2017    Post subject: 91 ZZR 600: rear hub/wheel/swing arm affair Reply with quote

Hi there guys.

Could someone please tell me what could have happened here?

the wheel had cocked over to the side and the sprocket bolts have machined out a bit of the swing arm.

think this is just the bearing shitting its pants or could it have been something else?

Im a bit fucked off Sad[/img]

Last edited by Ayup_Mi-Duck on 20:51 - 17 Sep 2017; edited 1 time in total

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:13 - 17 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened there is, that photobucket changed their policy, so now you have to pay them, so you can post your pictures here. Thumbs Up

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 17 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

your links need sorted. I think that link would let me upload pictures to your profile for lolz.

I accessed the pictures anyway.

Yup, your bearing has shat it, causing the wheel to sit at an angle.

There's a "tube" that goes between the bearings. This will have been at an angle due to bearing shitting it.

Replace all bearings on the rear wheel, inspect surfaces and you'll be fine.

Ayup_Mi-Duck
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:21 - 17 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluezedd wrote:
your links need sorted. I think that link would let me upload pictures to your profile for lolz.

There's a "tube" that goes between the bearings. This will have been at an angle due to bearing shitting it.

Thank you for the help. its never ending faff lol.

fortunatly i had just been to skeg to get some fish and chips and look at the monsters. managed to get to about 2 miles away from home and it started ticking (eating its slef)....

Thanks again for your help.

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:25 - 17 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayup_Mi-Duck wrote:
bluezedd wrote:

Thank you for the help. its never ending faff lol.

fortunatly i had just been to skeg to get some fish and chips and look at the monsters. managed to get to about 2 miles away from home and it started ticking (eating its slef)....

Thanks again for your help.

No problem, now I have looked at this post again though, I need to double-check things, especially as I've just read your swingarm being chewed by the sprocket bolts.

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:30 - 17 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you have the wheel off, check the rear wheel bearings. Those are the bearings that are still attached to the wheel.

If suspect on a bike that age, you might as well replace them. It's these bearings that have a tube between them.

The part that you actually show in your pic is the sprocket carrier bearing. It looks like it's actually this bearing which has killed itself. I can't confirm the condition of the rear wheel bearings.

If i remember correctly, there is a spacer which slides into the sprocket carrier bearing, and sigs against the wheel bearing. Check this is present.

Also, there should be a spacer on the outside of the sprocket carrier, between the swingarm and the outside of the sprocket carrier.

If you have any spacers missing. Get them from cornwall kawasaki.

Any bearings you could get cheaper from wemoto etc.

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:35 - 17 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://imgur.com/a/EWLpM

ive added a black number 1 - this is the spacer that slides into the sprocket carrier bearing.

2 - outside spacer

3 - sprocket carrier bearing.

Ayup_Mi-Duck
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:40 - 17 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluezedd wrote:
While you have the wheel off, check the rear wheel bearings. Those are the bearings that are still attached to the wheel.

If suspect on a bike that age, you might as well replace them. It's these bearings that have a tube between them.

The part that you actually show in your pic is the sprocket carrier bearing. It looks like it's actually this bearing which has killed itself. I can't confirm the condition of the rear wheel bearings.

If i remember correctly, there is a spacer which slides into the sprocket carrier bearing, and sigs against the wheel bearing. Check this is present.

Also, there should be a spacer on the outside of the sprocket carrier, between the swingarm and the outside of the sprocket carrier.

If you have any spacers missing. Get them from cornwall kawasaki.

Any bearings you could get cheaper from wemoto etc.

I think you might be on to somethign there. Now I think about it, the wheel was sitting true but the carrier was cocked over/ hanging out.

I replaced the tyre a while back and when removing it, laid the parts out as they came off, i then put them back on as they were. I think I will just buy all the parts, clean it up, give it the lube and see how it goes... hope its not spragged the swing arm out....... that would be mega lolz....

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:43 - 18 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pix?
Saw a hub carrier eat it's way through a swing arm at a track day... Could have some serious effects of the structural integrity of the swing arm itself...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 193 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1