Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Opinions needed for ZXR Purchase

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Levy Devy
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:11 - 17 Sep 2017    Post subject: Opinions needed for ZXR Purchase Reply with quote

Hello everyone, Thought I'd make a small topic about a bike I should be putting a reserve on. Hopefully if this guy is on the forum he doesn't take this as an insult. (And don't think about stealing it! xD) Seems like a genuine guy though (As most do) mentioned that it's only really ever seen dry weather and it's been sat in his garage.

He's had a lot of work done to it though, with actual receipts. All the engine work was done in 2012 and he's done yearly oil changes. Only problem is it's nearly done 50k miles (48900), although some of the people I've talked to say it's hardly anything. I do plan on doing an engine rebuild further down the line or sticking a big bore kit in with new seals. As it's better bang for buck.

I'll quote the advert. It is blue with a black frame, bit scratched up, asking price is 1,500 with fresh MOT included. And just to note, I'm on an A2 license. No plan on restricting.

Quote:
✅ Low miles for the age 48900 - under 2k per year average!
✅ Recent oil and filter change and serviced routinely.
✅ Loads of history - MOT, service and other invoices & receipts going back 15+ years.
✅ Mechanically sound, over £1200 worth of engine work done by Honda Isle of Wight with receipts to prove.
✅ MOT until 28/10/17- I can put another 12 months on for the full asking price.
➡️ 2 keys
➡️Electric start
➡️ Candy Lightning Blue paint scheme produced only on this year
➡️ OEM decals
➡️ Genuine UK model with unlocked CDI - 140mph+ top speed
➡️ Blue HEL braided brake lines front & rear
➡️ Brembo brake pads front & rear
➡️ Nissin brake master cylinder
➡️ Powerbronze dark tint DB screen
➡️ Tank pad
➡️ Full stainless steel Micron exhaust system
➡️ SP Engineering carbon race can with removable baffle
➡️ Cleaned & balanced carburetors
➡️ K&N high performance air filter
➡️ Renthal 520 chain & sprocket kit (+2 on the rear)
➡️ Data tagged
➡️ R&G crash protectors
➡️ Mini front indicators
➡️ Mini rear indicators
➡️ Pirelli Diablo Rosso 2 tyres - 4mm on each.

As you can see there's a lot of bike here for the money, and it will only appreciate in value as these are becoming rare. Aside from the aftermarket parts everything else is original from factory. The only pitfall is the bodywork, It has a minuscule hairline crack a couple of inches max on the left engine fairing, not a costly repair I just haven't got round to doing it. There's also just some age related imperfections around the bike that could be refreshed to make it perfect. Other than that it's in good condition for it's age, it's been well looked after being run up to temp weekly as well as being garaged and dust covered since I've owned it.
Currently sorn but only £38 a year to tax.
Free Oxford paddock stand, 1 litre of Motul oil left over from recent oil change, a K&N refresh kit as well as a battery charger for the winter included in sale. Please only contact me if you are serious about the bike.
£1500 with 12 months MOT, ONO as it stands. CASH ON COLLECTION ONLY, NO SWAPS.
Any inspection welcome and viewings available most evenings & weekends.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:17 - 17 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZXR 250 = buy right now, very rare
ZXR 400 = avoid
ZXR 750 = awesome machine

Levy Devy
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:19 - 17 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
ZXR 250 = buy right now, very rare
ZXR 400 = avoid
ZXR 750 = awesome machine

Restricted License = ZXR 400

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:20 - 17 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a pic?

Which model is it?

If it's a J (which i think it will be if it's Blue / Black frame) i wouldn't be so keen, they are restricted mechanically (about 90PS) and need cams and other bits to make good power. If i was in the market for an old ZXR i'd try to find a decent L as they make a lot more power.

I'd question why a big 4 stroke has needed 1200 quids worth of engine work at sub 50k but then i remembered it's a Kawasaki so it's probably mashed a head gasket or valve collet by then.

Levy Devy
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:22 - 17 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
Do you have a pic?

Which model is it?

If it's a J (which i think it will be if it's Blue / Black frame) i wouldn't be so keen, they are restricted mechanically (about 90PS) and need cams and other bits to make good power. If i was in the market for an old ZXR i'd try to find a decent L as they make a lot more power.

I'd question why a big 4 stroke has needed 1200 quids worth of engine work at sub 50k but then i remembered it's a Kawasaki so it's probably mashed a head gasket or valve collet by then.

Ah sorry, it's a ZXR 400 L1 1991 (H Reg)

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MzJYMzI=/z/sgcAAOSwj3ZZke0C/$_86.JPG

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:30 - 17 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to check the motorcycle personally to give you an informed answer. From the picture, the fairings are not fit properly and the aftermarket turn signals are awful.

Levy Devy
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:30 - 17 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
I would have to check the motorcycle personally to give you an informed answer. From the picture, the fairings are not fit properly and the aftermarket turn signals are awful.

Yeah, he mentioned the fairings are not in good nick. That was the "only" issue.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:36 - 17 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

These bikes were learner machines to many young lads full of rage and personal issues. So there are a lot of lemons out there.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:54 - 17 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah a 400, ignore most of my previous post.

£1500 is a lot of money for that, i'd look elsewhere.

Levy Devy
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:03 - 17 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:

Other bikes are quite a lot with just over half miles, but they all seem really tatty with hardly any history. I think I might bite the bullet.

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 17 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Levy Devy wrote:
GT200Fan79 wrote:

Other bikes are quite a lot with just over half miles, but they all seem really tatty with hardly any history. I think I might bite the bullet.

Seems far too expensive, given you can get 6Rs for the same price or cheaper.

Bear in mind you can get bikes like this for less:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/kawasaki-zx7r-/112566911568?hash=item1a3582c250:g:zKYAAOSwgiRZvk7E

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KAWASAKI-ZX9R-2002-RED-ZX900R-E2-/192296837522?hash=item2cc5c8e192:g:jvgAAOSwQr5ZrCrg

Forgetting the shit description and monster sticker though. and the jacked up rear.

Dingy it.

Levy Devy
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:18 - 17 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluezedd wrote:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/kawasaki-zx7r-/112566911568?hash=item1a3582c250:g:zKYAAOSwgiRZvk7E

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KAWASAKI-ZX9R-2002-RED-ZX900R-E2-/192296837522?hash=item2cc5c8e192:g:jvgAAOSwQr5ZrCrg

Forgetting the shit description and monster sticker though. and the jacked up rear.

Dingy it.

Yet again, my license restricts me.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:28 - 17 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd want to know what the hell is bent making the fairing not fit properly.

That question would be followed with how was it was bent.

The answers to the above and how much £££ they take off the price would make my mind up on buying it or not.

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 17 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Levy Devy wrote:
bluezedd wrote:

Dingy it.

Ok spend 1500 on a shitter then.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:03 - 18 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

After owning a couple of zxr400's over the years I am kinda in a half decent position to offer you advice.

1. The head gasket will need replacing, along with possible head skimming.

2. It's been down the road atleast once.

3. If buying a zxr400, get a L8 model circa 2000 i think.

4. They are a fuck ton of fun if the suspension is setup correctly, otherwise they feel like the front is going to fold on you.

5. Maintenance is getting trickier to carry out due decent used parts selling for stupid money.

6. That is alot of money for that bike, I sold mine with a £600 rear shock + full micron exhaust system + 37k miles for £1300 with a shit ton of spares.

7. They are not rare, anything but rare to be honest.

I wouldn't buy this bike for £1500. I'd offer a grand at most, but starting with a cunty offer of £750
https://www.gumtree.com/p/kawasaki-motorbikes/1991-h-kawasaki-zxr-400-l1-rare-bike/1262439268

Just because you have a restricted licence does not mean you have you get a zxr400, there are many other options out there.

Quote:
He's had a lot of work done to it though, with actual receipts. All the engine work was done in 2012 and he's done yearly oil changes. Only problem is it's nearly done 50k miles (48900), although some of the people I've talked to say it's hardly anything.

It's alot for a little 400cc IL4 engine that has had the life screamed out of it.

Quote:
I do plan on doing an engine rebuild further down the line or sticking a big bore kit in with new seals. As it's better bang for buck.

You won't do any of that stuff, everyone say they will but no-one ever does unless they are going to use it for racing and even then it a very expensive investment.

Last edited by CaNsA on 00:10 - 18 Sep 2017; edited 1 time in total

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:06 - 18 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Levy Devy wrote:

And this "thing" is in really good nick?

It's a shed, even by the usual standard of old 400's. I'd not pay anymore than £700 for it.

For £250 more you could buy this if you are really stuck on wanting a ZXR.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202040157132

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:11 - 18 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Levy Devy wrote:

And you want a zxr400. Rolling Eyes

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:44 - 18 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd buy it.. that should be all you need to know*

*dont buy it. I make shit bike buying decisions. Buying a little old kwaker that will have been ragged every minute of its life is not going to end well for you financially. Listen to the above advices ^^^

Can you not do your test to get bigger bike?

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:52 - 18 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a FZS600 instead Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:28 - 18 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRZ4Hunned wrote:
Buy a FZS600 instead Thumbs Up

/thread, really.

The 400 needs restricted, which you won't do.

The 600 needs restricted, which you won't do.

More bike for less money.

You can also use it to do your full A test in 2 years.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:24 - 18 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't have one as an only bike.
I never had 400's back in the Grey heyday era. But I did see a silly low miles mint maroon ZXR at a dealer early this year. I did seriously think about putting in a silly offer, as it's years since I had a sportsbike, and I'd like all my bikes except any off roaders, to be shiny summer play things these days.

Now I'm hitting 40, serious and all year round biking on tarmac at least has probably left me behind forever.

In your position I'd do the sensible think and move on for a more generic A2 bike. Your unlikely to keep said bike past your restricted period, and all 400's are getting to the stage where they need looking after, or old obsessive money over sense treatment like stuff like RDLC's reached a few years ago. I'd leave it to someone who will spend the money and do all the poor VFM upgrades before wrapping it up under a blanket every winter etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:04 - 18 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Levy Devy wrote:
bluezedd wrote:

Dingy it.

get something and restrict it then, many of us (including myself) did so.

I had a ZZR 600 and restricted it (old 33bhp restriction, sorry) and de-restricted it once I could

at just shy of 60k miles it shat it's gearbox, it's possible that ZX is going to do the same.

seriously, get something like a hornet (my current commuting bike) that can be restricted and give you a bit of fun, get used to looking after and servicing a bike and riding one, do your full tests when you can and then you'll not only be able to ride a larger bike, you'll be able to keep it running easier and cheaper too.

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:22 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just buy it bro, screw the nay sayers!*

*You are going to do it anyway, however you came to the wrong place if you wanted everyone to agree its a good idea when it likely isn't

ThoughtContro...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:41 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see what's wrong with an SV or an early Fazer 600 if you want some inline four screaming. You'll have to restrict either, and it'll likely be to 33bhp. The K3 and onward SV is the simplest to do, requiring the ECU to be swapped out, which can be done in a minute or two since it just plugs in.

The SV is a budget sports bike so has less kudos than a ZXR 400, but if you ding it parts are plentiful and relatively cheap, since there's always people breaking them on ebay.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:09 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SV = Still Virgin.

Don't buy one, they suck.

But don't buy a ZXR400 built by a retard either.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 192 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3