Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Exhaust wrap over holes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:54 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: Exhaust wrap over holes Reply with quote

Recently had a couple backfires while riding, they have blew a couple of pea sized holes in my ageing stainless downpipes, which is getting thin. Only 5 years old but 50k miles.

If I wrap the collector portion where the holes are appearing, this should stop fresh air getting in, keep it quiet, and allow mot to pass in Novemeber?

Is this any good? www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182567052876

Plan to change bikes next year after she hits 100k, so not buying a new exhaust.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:01 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That wrap is for heat insulation, not exhaust gases (it won't work). Get it welded (cheap fix).

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:16 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut a section of steel can (baked bean etc) that covers the holed section and wraps neatly round it. Rub the pipe down with some wire wool to remove any rust and degrease it.

Apply gun gum liberally to the back of your bit of can. Wrap it tightly round the pipe and secure by firmly wrapping garden wire round and round it.

Now put your exhaust bandage over the top of that and secure with more wire wrapped round it in a spiral. If you're feeling keen, jubilee clip top and bottom catching botht the can patch and the bandage.

Run the engine slowly up to temperature to cure the gungum and bandage.

From experience, the above will either fail almost immediately or last for years.

It's been a long time since I've had to do that. I would be very tempted to substitute plumbers silicone for gun gum after recent experience of sealing exhausts and wood burning stoves with it.

Stoker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 02:45 - 09 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using epoxy putty on mine, works for a while (week or two) then more rust around the periphery allows it to blow out. Works better on the silencer tbh, and you have to "work" it so some of the putty is inside the pipe, worked underneath the edges for it not to blow straight out again.....
(Passed an mot, as not leaking./ hidden with fresh ht paint... but need to weld properly now as 5.30 am start for work with currently noisy pipe will piss off neighbours)

Gungum, as mentioned by Stink, can work if done properly, ie, sandwiched, as he suggested, but it is brittle and flakey, doesn't like getting wet.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:55 - 09 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything you do other than properly welded is just a temporary bodge. You'll have to deal with it regardless so either pony up for new pipes or go get them welded.

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:31 - 09 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even a small welding shop should be able to weld it up for you at little cost

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:14 - 09 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

They won't.

They'll rub their chin, suck through their teeth then tell you it's stainless and they haven't got the tig set up for stainless just now. And anyway, it's too thin. And the metal's too cheap, it'll just blow a bigger hole. And you'll need to take the exhaust off the bike before they can weld it. And we're closed now anyway and only Jimmy does stainless so come back next Thursday.

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:18 - 09 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well ,bring it to me and I'll do it, I'll even chuck a cup of tea with the "while you wait " service Cool

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:37 - 09 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can weld it. I have a decent mig spoolgun setup and a 3/4 full botttle of argon. Ive done stainless before. However it seems to be extremely thin in places and probably past welding even for experienced tig. I am not welding it on the bike. I am not removing it from the bike - its bent and will not go back on!

At back of collector it is cracked. I have a wad of fiberglass, wrapped in stainless mesh, held on by a large hose clip. Its worked well for 7 months. It does not need to be sealed or gas tight. I want to prevent oxygen getting in which will blow it apart, and some mild baffling would be nice for the mot man. Gumgum will fail first time it gets wet.
I think exhaust wrap plus high temp sillicone will probably do what I need. Thanks.

Jardine
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:23 - 09 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Cut a section of steel can (baked bean etc) that covers the holed section and wraps neatly round it. Rub the pipe down with some wire wool to remove any rust and degrease it.

Apply gun gum liberally to the back of your bit of can. Wrap it tightly round the pipe and secure by firmly wrapping garden wire round and round it.

Now put your exhaust bandage over the top of that and secure with more wire wrapped round it in a spiral. If you're feeling keen, jubilee clip top and bottom catching botht the can patch and the bandage.

Run the engine slowly up to temperature to cure the gungum and bandage.

From experience, the above will either fail almost immediately or last for years.

It's been a long time since I've had to do that. I would be very tempted to substitute plumbers silicone for gun gum after recent experience of sealing exhausts and wood burning stoves with it.

I second this, i used a can on my exhaust which passed an MOT no problem

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:15 - 18 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://s26.postimg.org/sg2xz1qft/IMG_20170917_191802.jpg

https://s26.postimg.org/6i6h59bfd/IMG_20170917_194101.jpg

I used fireclay with a short length to make a patch, then wrapped over the top. Looks a lot better than my previous bodge should have removed that and done at the same time. I wrapped the whole length but its only two pea sized holes. You can see under the old bodge the crack is slowly spreading Mad

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:46 - 18 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
Ive done stainless before. However it seems to be extremely thin in places and probably past welding even for experienced tig.

Tig is a poor choice for exhaust repairs anyway.

Quote:
At back of collector it is cracked.

Which is probably the reason you see mild steel collectors in the middle of stainless steel systems like on the Bandit. It's much less prone to cracking.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 08:35 - 18 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
kramdra wrote:
Ive done stainless before. However it seems to be extremely thin in places and probably past welding even for experienced tig.

Tig is a poor choice for exhaust repairs anyway.

Quote:
At back of collector it is cracked.

Which is probably the reason you see mild steel collectors in the middle of stainless steel systems like on the Bandit. It's much less prone to cracking.

Really, why is TIG a poor choice ?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:18 - 18 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
I can weld it. I have a decent mig spoolgun setup and a 3/4 full botttle of argon. Ive done stainless before. However it seems to be extremely thin in places and probably past welding even for experienced tig. I am not welding it on the bike. I am not removing it from the bike - its bent and will not go back on!

At back of collector it is cracked. I have a wad of fiberglass, wrapped in stainless mesh, held on by a large hose clip. Its worked well for 7 months. It does not need to be sealed or gas tight. I want to prevent oxygen getting in which will blow it apart, and some mild baffling would be nice for the mot man. Gumgum will fail first time it gets wet.
I think exhaust wrap plus high temp sillicone will probably do what I need. Thanks.

After reading this I really think it is time to bite the bullet and replace the exhaust Laughing

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:30 - 18 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tankie wrote:

Really, why is TIG a poor choice ?

Leading question? You've offered to repair it so you should know.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:46 - 18 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm asking why you think not, I'm always like to here other peoples views, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:48 - 18 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It survived its first 70 miles and I was a bit late this morning, it got no special treatment! It is much, much quieter. To the point that Im not sure what gear Im in without looking at the tacho, and Ive turned the music down a bit. There is no way this is coming undone, though the ends might fray *fold ends over next time*.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 215 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1