Close call this morning..

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Videos Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:09 - 18 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despined_By_Ex wrote:
ive watched it like 50 times... that was fucking amazing reactions.. sort of.. probably

obviously the camera lies and we cannot tell your speed how fast or slow you approached and all other things relevant but id have hung back when that left indicator come on, i see why you didnt as he was almost past the slip road so one would assume he wasn't going down it.

the reaction was good though, id have been potato mostly because i go everywhere in 6th gear so id have chugged alongside attempting to accelerate through it and got shrekt

Thanks Thumbs Up

The camera does lie. Its much closer than it makes it out to be. At 0:15 i am hanging off the right of the bike because of how much i had to swerve. It was as close as i ever want to get between a car and a lorry Laughing

I did see the indicator tbf but my decision was made purely on road positioning Thumbs Up
Mental note made to hang back next time. There was a lorry coming up behind me which may have caused more urgency than was needed

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:31 - 18 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Not excusing the driver but it looked like they mis read a satnav to me and got confused which exit they wanted.

Looked to me like the Audi thought the truck was going straight on and so started to follow round the roundabout to avoid a collision, then when he was sure the truck was going down the sliproad he 'took the gap' not expecting anyone to have followed him onto the roundabout.

think I'm 50/50 for if I'd have thought "is he still going to go" after the indicator had cancelled or done the same as the OP

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:52 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

that was lucky!

May be a daft question, but are you turning left while in the right hand lane? What would happen if the lorry went straight on?

I've seen roundabouts that consider a leftish turn as straight on, and you can go straight in either lane. I still stick to the left though, as the person in the left lane can't t bone me.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:50 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluezedd wrote:
that was lucky!

May be a daft question, but are you turning left while in the right hand lane? What would happen if the lorry went straight on?

I've seen roundabouts that consider a leftish turn as straight on, and you can go straight in either lane. I still stick to the left though, as the person in the left lane can't t bone me.

Yep, i am. There are no dedicated lane markings as far as i am aware. You see me hang back to be sure that lorry was going left. He was indicating to go left anyway and i had an escape route should he have changed his mind. There's always a risk for sure but road positioning (unless you're an Audi) will more often than not give you an indication on what they're going to do.
There are two lanes on the slip road Thumbs Up

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:11 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no lane direction markings - normal roundabout rules apply. It's a standard 4-way roundabout (junction 15 of the M4) with exits at 90° intervals. Left lane for turning left or going straight. Right lane for going straight or turning right. The straight-over exit (at 180°) has two lanes off of the roundabout (although you have to be careful of people coming in to the roundabout from that exit, who get only one lane in but like to overtake any standing traffic using 'your' second lane).

In my experience of that roundabout, left lane traffic splits fairly equally between turning left and going straight. Trucks tend to turn left as this goes onto the M4 eastbound (straight over goes into the middle of nowhere Wiltshire).

When the left lane is busy it's quite common for cars to sneak down the right lane and try to duck left at the roundabout. Even trucks do this.

I used this junction daily for several years. I was always turning left from the left lane, so in the 'safest' mode.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:04 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Spot on. Habit on the bike tends to leave me in the right line (or filtering down the middle) because that left lane gets backed up quite a bit during rush hour. Cars/Trucks go straight over, probably a 50/50 split, but if lights for the next exit are red, everything comes to a standstill due to people blocking the m4 eastbound exit. If you're waiting in that queue in the left lane you can be there for years due to the junction just before the roundabout feeding a constant stream of cars/trucks onto the 419

Usually, if that lorry wasn't already indicatoring i would have tucked in behind it because its a chance not worth taking(as i did this morning and yesterday morning).

Its surprising how much more aware drivers having become especially down that stretch of the 419 leading up to junction 15. Some folks genuinely go out of their way to let you get past 8o I need to make an LED thank you sign so i can keep my hands and feet where they're supposed to be

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:41 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pompousporcupine wrote:
bluezedd wrote:
that was lucky!

Yep, i am. There are no dedicated lane markings as far as i am aware. You see me hang back to be sure that lorry was going left. He was indicating to go left anyway and i had an escape route should he have changed his mind. There's always a risk for sure but road positioning (unless you're an Audi) will more often than not give you an indication on what they're going to do.
There are two lanes on the slip road Thumbs Up

You probably shouldn't be turning left from the right lane, but I understand when filtering to the front, you might struggle for a gap in the left lane, and do my own share of rule bending.

I'd consider going all the way around the roundabout if you end up in the right lane. It's probably a safer option. It's what I used to do when I worked in a shopping centre. Everyone in the left lane, backed up all the way to the motorway (to the point it was dangerous), and an empty right lane. I'd go in the right lane, surf all the way round and get past them all.

Would be super dodgy if the lorry changed its mind like the audi and went straight! Surprised
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 181 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Videos All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2