Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Many Garage related questions here!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

STONEY!
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:51 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Many Garage related questions here! Reply with quote

Bought a garage, quite a big one, it has a lift and space for many things but it is in need of lots of work so a few questions for the BCF massive.

Floor paint what would you use and why?

Alarm, CCTV and other security, its 30 min from my house down an unlit road with no real neighbours so a little scared about that! Any recommendations?

Exterior cladding with insulation, anyone done it or avoided it and if so why?

Asbestos removal, whats the best option? They loved it when they built this place, roof, chimney and ducting all asbestos lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:56 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: Many Garage related questions here! Reply with quote

STONEY! wrote:
Alarm, CCTV and other security

Do you have net access there and full power.

If so, your own pc with some chinese 1080p cameras and a POE switch. Run something called BlueIris and have all your cameras constantly looping to a local 4TB drive, set up alerting which pings your smart phone when movement is detected. Also motion detection lights inside to light up those rude boys when they get in.

Total cost of ~20 per camera and ~250 for the PC and switch to cope with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:43 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Floor paint - there's no cheap option. Diamond Hard Ronseal and the like will peel, so the only right option is to float with latex screed and epoxy resin paint over.

Asbestos - don't assume it's non licenced non notifiable. It can be non licenced and still require a permit to remove if in poor condition. Don't mess about imo, get it taken care of approximately.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:06 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so sure all concrete floor paint is so shit though.

In my garage I used that diamond hard paint and parked my car in there and heavy tool box's etc. It hasn't peeled, so I'm gonna say it's in the preparation tbh.

Bare concrete must be bone dry and dust free. I vacuumed mine throughly and then you need to seal the concrete. I used two coats of Thompson concrete seal and let it dry for a week, before painting the floor. The sealer gives off evil fumes so do it with the door open and a mask on.

I could be wrong, but I think painting damp or unsealed dusty concrete gives good floor paint a bad name. Yeah you can chip it if you drop tools or drag machinery across it, but it's easy to touch up and go over again when it looks tired.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:31 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

I could be wrong, but I think painting damp or unsealed dusty concrete gives good floor paint a bad name. Yeah you can chip it if you drop tools or drag machinery across it, but it's easy to touch up and go over again when it looks tired.

Mine was brand new, and applied by a bloke that spent half a day filling holes in the lightweight block walls so that there wasn't grey bits showing through the white wall masonry paint.

It's in bits now.

Go figure.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Boring). Unhide this post / all posts.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:57 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chipped floor paint is invariably down to fatty concrete - the floor was floated or trowelled with a wet mix that leaves a soft 'fat' on the top which kicks up dust and chips from a firm glance.

I painted mine three times before I got fed up and ground a few mm off the top. Now the paint sticks well and lasts for ages under heavy use.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

STONEY!
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:56 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Paddy will look into it Thumbs Up

still undecided on floor paint

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 22:08 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

STONEY! wrote:
Cheers Paddy will look into it Thumbs Up

still undecided on floor paint

If you need a hand, holla Thumbs Up

STONEY!
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:15 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers paddy I'm a bit of a tech luddite so may well take you up on that
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 209 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1