BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Undroppable?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

willsie01
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 07:27 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Undroppable? Reply with quote

I've got a full licence from when I rode scooters (and because of the different licence rules when I did my test) and now looking to get a bike. Having had a ride on a BMW 700 and dropped it a few times at low speed Sad it might be a good idea to start with something that's hopefully harder to drop? I'm hoping that doesn't have to be a 125.
Any suggestions...without too many embarrassing comments on my poor riding ability.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:56 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

piaggio mp3 Laughing

all bikes can be dropped if you don't hold them up properly
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

willsie01
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 08:28 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
piaggio mp3 Laughing

all bikes can be dropped if you don't hold them up properly

No argument: but not all things are equal.
I know from my own experience of never having dropped anything on 2 wheels before, including small engined bikes, that not all machines have the same inherent stability.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:42 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the problem inside leg related, width of seat can be important as it makes it harder to reach ground.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:46 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you doing to drop the bike?

Some bikes are more stable feeling at low speed / more forgiving, but fundamentally you're making basic mistakes if you keep dropping it.
Work out what they are and then work on correcting them.
Maybe get a days worth of tuition to focus of slow speed control. Probably £150? Cheaper than a new bike, and it'll resolve the issue (maybe).

Just in case it sounds like I'm being harsh, I've dropped a bike a few times. Once was doing a U-turn on steep hill on a massively cambered and narrow road. The mistake I made on that occasion was even attempting a U-turn in that situation, and I'm now more conscious of road camber etc. Another time it was pissing with rain and I was putting my bike on it's centre stand. My foot slipped as I was heaving the bike up, I fell back and the bike fell away from me (fortunately!). I now make sure I'm balanced and surefooted when off the bike and moving it.
It's all a learning curve.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:04 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

An F700GS?

I find my "650" (same bike, essentially) notably stable at low speeds. It was the very first thing that struck me when I got on it and pulled away into an effortless NEET FEAT U-turn.

You're going to find it tricky to find anything better. The NC700/750 apparently carries its weight even lower, but... then you're riding an NC7x0.

Sorry, but the problem with your bike is between the bars and the seat.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:20 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new Z650s are supposed to have a low centre of gravity, the school I am doing my advanced with use them and they
very different to the ER6 bikes they replaced. Low seat height as well as being lighter than the ER6. I'm looking forward
to having a try of one. Just to see for myself.

willsie01
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:49 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:

Is the problem inside leg related, width of seat can be important as it makes it harder to reach ground.

What are you doing to drop the bike?

No problem with leg length or seat width.

Dropped the bike in slow speed turns

Regarding the "problem between the bars and the seat": well, yes, I did mention my poor riding ability in my post.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:56 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then go to a local bike school and have a few refresher hours with an instructor. Money well spent.
Better that than becoming a middle aged statistic. But it's your arse, so up to you.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:57 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04lKw6ef9nE

Well, someone had to post it. Embarassed

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:00 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

come green laning with me, you'll soon be dropping your bike like a pro Thumbs Up

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:43 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort of advice you need (rather than "which bike") is:

Turn the corner with your head: look where you are turning and your arms/bike will follow.

Pay attention to cambers i.e. if the road level drops to your right, it's going to pull you to the right and tighten the turn a lot quicker.

Don't do slow turns with the clutch in. Good clutch control is essential, you'll be amazed at how stable the bike is at slow speeds if you're at biting point, compared to just coasting.

Get a cheap bike first and practice the hell out of it. It's likely that you are stuck in your ways if you drop it that much. You need to un-learn some bad habits. If you master it on, say on an Er-5 then those same skills will translate to any bike.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:45 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a Carver. More fun than you can spit at, lean as far as you like and impossible to drop.

Bit pricey though...

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:46 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

willsie01 wrote:
Regarding the "problem between the bars and the seat": well, yes, I did mention my poor riding ability in my post.

If you sort that, it'll transfer to all new bikes that you get, free of charge.

You're likely suffering from lack of confidence rather than ability. Plenty of steady revs, control the speed using the clutch, and using the rear brake helps but isn't really necessary on a GS. You'll get it.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:07 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avoid heavy bikes Thumbs Up

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 18:57 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

willsie01 wrote:
No argument: but not all things are equal.
I know from my own experience of never having dropped anything on 2 wheels before, including small engined bikes, that not all machines have the same inherent stability.

Th 'stability' they have comes from intertia.. how heavy they are and how fast they are going. Heavier a bike, faster you go, the more inertia they have, so the more 'stability'.
The design can hep a it, but cat defy physics... and scooters? Well, you slap the engine in the back and take all the weight off the front wheel.. then you give it the diddiest wheels you can... perversely the design is making them abut as unstanble as they can be!

The issue isn't 'stability' is manageability. All bikes at low-speed will tend to topple... it's not a question of technology but one of technique....

Go look at U-Tube vids of Yank Bike Cops doing Moto-Gym-Khana on Harleys!

If YOU cant get a bike to do what want without falling over, then it is not the bikes fault, but yours.... try another bke, and it may be a bit less likely to fall over, but t's still not the bike's problem, but yours! Crack the technique, and confidence, you shouldn't topple on anything....

You may have passed tests on a scooter, BUT, you got a ride what you like licence... you SHOULD be able to ride what you like...

I'd suggest you look at a back-to bikes course or similar, and lots and lots of practice to get your eye back in and confidence up.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:40 - 20 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/VH60-R8MOKo

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:08 - 25 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
An F700GS?

I find my "650" (same bike, essentially) notably stable at low speeds. It was the very first thing that struck me when I got on it and pulled away into an effortless NEET FEAT U-turn.

You're going to find it tricky to find anything better. The NC700/750 apparently carries its weight even lower, but... then you're riding an NC7x0.

I was thinking similar, those BMW's are supposedly noted for their low centre of gravity making it easier to manoeuvre.

If you're coming off a moped / scooter to larger bikes then it's worth a half day's lesson or two to get you up to speed with handling a larger bike, you can't ride it like you would a scoot

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:28 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: Undroppable? Reply with quote

willsie01 wrote:
I've got a full licence from when I rode scooters (and because of the different licence rules when I did my test) and now looking to get a bike. Having had a ride on a BMW 700 and dropped it a few times at low speed Sad it might be a good idea to start with something that's hopefully harder to drop? I'm hoping that doesn't have to be a 125.
Any suggestions...without too many embarrassing comments on my poor riding ability.

Are you sure the bike is fine? There may be a zillion reasons for that. Like bad brakes, tyres, bearings and what not.

I suggest you test ride few other bikes too.

Also get Yamaha MT09. Problem solved.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:07 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyre pressures are worth a shout. You'll have been told to check them before every ride on your CBT, so feel free to put that into practice.

Although OP is already dead, obvs. Ride out, etc.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride with my pressures "too low", I have them where I want them, bike doesn't feel right at "correct" pressure Thinking maybe correct pressure is for stock tyre though

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:48 - 04 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
I ride with my pressures "too low", I have them where I want them, bike doesn't feel right at "correct" pressure Thinking maybe correct pressure is for stock tyre though

I thought you let a bit of air out for off-roading? Always gone with recommended pressures in the front and a couple of PSI higher in the rear, and I don't carry a pillion or weigh that much Thinking
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 176 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1