Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

At risk out of the blue!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:33 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: At risk out of the blue! Reply with quote

Well that's just effing brilliant, completely out of the blue I had a meeting with an HR woman yesterday who told me my job is 'at risk', which basically means they want to make me redundant. Evil or Very Mad

My site is at the opposite end of the country to our head office we come under, and stuck out on a ledge so we don't get the gossip a bigger office might do.
They want to push it through as fast as possible and hold a further consultation early next week.

To top it all off, my boss is on holiday out of the country this week and some of next. I contacted him and he knew nothing about it! I do believe that as well, he had to check there and then with HR about it and is now waiting to get back to find out 'what the hell is going on'! It's only me and him providing IT support to a large part of the business, how they think that's going to happen when he's on holiday is beyond me. I feel like just upping and leaving on stress leave, and seeing how they like it when a large section of the business has no IT support whatsoever...

However, obviously my main worry is the possibility of not being in a job in 2-3 weeks time. So now I'm dashing round applying for everything I can see!
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:31 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear this, but every redundancy / collapse I've been involved in has ended up being to my benefit in the end.

Just make getting a better position your full time job now. Take as much time as you need to search / apply / interview, on your current employer's dime. It'll come reet.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:05 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're at risk and you're in a department of 1, then that's very much you being made redundant.

HR should have already told you this: the at risk part is where they identify everyone in the same role / level and then rank them on performance with the lowest getting the chop.
Like I said, if you're effectively in a department of 1, that doesn't bode well. Find out who else is in your grouping.

As Rog said, your full time job is sprucing the hell out of your cv and finding another job. The job you're in just needs to fit around that.
Obviously you can't download all the projects you've worked on, or any files that might be useful in another role or company.

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:12 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Sorry to hear this, but every redundancy / collapse I've been involved in has ended up being to my benefit in the end.

Very much this.

Get your CV sorted, get it out there, get a better and more rewarding job, wonder why you didn't do it ages ago, become more attractive to women, buy a new motorcycle.

Thumbs Up

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:19 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
the at risk part is where they identify everyone in the same role / level and then rank them on performance with the lowest getting the chop.

Its not necessarily performance related, as long as the selection criteria are "fair".
For example "Last in, First out" may be considered fair.

While the selection criteria is supposed to be fair, what actually happens is another matter...

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:25 - 21 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have my envy OP, where I work is a total shitshow and I've run out of holiday to use for interviews.

I've been begging them to make me redundant for some time now. Sad

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 00:11 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's that, you've got Two interviews a day for the next week, One in the morning, then One in the afternoon so unable to make it to work.
Don't know if it will work but you could try.

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:27 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember, voluntary redundancy is Tax Free. If a healthy settlement is expected and you wouldn't mind finding another job, as you are 1 at risk it sounds a bit open and shut, you will really benefit.

My wife worked for a company where they were combining two jobs into one, job was busy enough as it was, she didn't want it anyway. Asked about voluntary and walked away with a very large chunk of tax free cash on top of other benefits.

As above, there is always an up side!

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:06 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going wrote:
What's that, you've got Two interviews a day for the next week, One in the morning, then One in the afternoon so unable to make it to work.
Don't know if it will work but you could try.

https://www.gov.uk/redundant-your-rights/suitable-alternative-employment

Quote:
Time off for job hunting
If you’ve been continuously employed for 2 years by the date your notice period ends, you’re allowed a reasonable amount of time off to:

look for another job
arrange training to help you find another job
How long you can take will depend on your circumstances.

No matter how much time you take off to look for another job, the most your employer has to pay you is 40% of one week’s pay.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:13 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Just make getting a better position your full time job now. Take as much time as you need to search / apply / interview, on your current employer's dime. It'll come reet.

Aye, and relieve them of as much stationery and office equipment as possible.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:25 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there are benefits to redundancies, I got that last time about 10 years ago - but then I'd been with the company 10 years and had a hefty pay out. This time I've only been here 3 years and reckon it'll be a lot less.

What's also odd is that the paperwork I've now received specifies my manager will inform me and organise any consultations, however when I raised this with HR today their response completely ignored my point and just told me when my next consultation will be on Tuesday. My manager is only back on Tuesday so doesn't give us much time for preparing for the consultation...

I'm wondering if he's 'at risk' too and he hasn't told me which makes the situation difficult, or HR are just trying to stitch me up.
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

supZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:50 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shit happens.

Been made redundant twice, it sucked at first but turned out for the better each time.

1st time I was out of work for a few months as I was probably a bit cocky and reaching too high but I had a big redundancy so I was ok.

Next job I got was soo much better and pretty much a 50% pay increase after the initial 3 months.

Next redundancy I had was crap situation but had a job to go to before my notice period even ended.

Sometimes change is good Smile

Good luck

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:01 - 22 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: At risk out of the blue! Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:
Well that's just effing brilliant, completely out of the blue I had a meeting with an HR woman yesterday who told me my job is 'at risk', which basically means they want to make me redundant. Evil or Very Mad

No-one like a show-off.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 210 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1